We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bareboating Vacation - First Timers

New Jersey
Level Contributor
454 posts
282 reviews
Save Topic
Bareboating Vacation - First Timers

Hi all,

Our group of four will be doing a week-long bareboating vacation on a catamaran the end of February 2011. Our friend, who will be captain, has never sailed the Caribbean, but was told the BVI/USVI is good for first-timers. We've all traveled throughout the Caribbean, including the BVI/USVI, but we're unfamiliar with sailing the area. Can someone tell me if the below information is feasible for our time frame (Friday - Friday) and if you have any other suggestions:

We plan on sailing out of Tortola Saturday morning. We'd like to spend a full day on both Jost Van Dyke and St. John, and maybe a half day on both Norman Island and Peter Island (not in this particular order). If we visited those islands, would we also have time to visit The Baths (our friends haven't been there)? What about other islands?

Thanks for your help!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
454 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bareboating Vacation - First Timers

Sorry for the duplicate post! My system froze up, then went a little wacky. :)

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
6,822 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bareboating Vacation - First Timers

Try posting your questions on the BVI forum at www.traveltalk.com

It's a very active forum with lots of BVI sailing experts participating. If you search the archives on that forum you'll find hundreds of threads discussing every aspect of sailing in the BVI's, including many topics about sailing itineraries.

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
6,822 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bareboating Vacation - First Timers

OPPS!!!

That should be www.traveltalkonline.com

New Jersey
Level Contributor
454 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bareboating Vacation - First Timers

Thanks, CaribSurfer.

With your advice, I posted my question on TravelTalkOnline and already received a few responses.

Thanks!

Ontario, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Bareboating Vacation - First Timers

I'd love to get any information you receive as well...we're heading down in late January and are first-timers on our own although we've sailed in the BVI with family before. Thanks so much, Cathy

New Jersey
Level Contributor
454 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bareboating Vacation - First Timers

I'll let you know what I find, Cathy.

BVI
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Bareboating Vacation - First Timers

First of all, you will love sailing the BVI. If you leave Tortola on a one week charter, you will have more than enough time to spend time at peter, norman, St. John (make sure you clear in and out) and jost van dyke. You will also have time to visit virgin gorda and the baths. And, if the weather is great and you enjoy sailing, you might even squeeze in a trip to Anegada. Let me know if you I can be any more help.

Capt. Derek

s/v/ bella vita

New Jersey
Level Contributor
454 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bareboating Vacation - First Timers

Thank you, Capt. Derek. We're very excited for our first sailing vacation! Several people on the TTOL forum suggested we skip St. John because of dealing with customs. Can you tell me how long the process takes and how much it would cost, approximately? We were just in St. John a few weeks ago and loved it. However, it rained the entire time we were there (Bonnie), so we would love to actually visit St. John on a sunny day!

9. Re: Bareboating Vacation - First Timers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2011, 05:18