We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any advice for best flights out of Toronto

Elmira, Canada
Level Contributor
54 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Any advice for best flights out of Toronto

My wife and I are in the early stages of planning a trip to the Virgin Islands In February, leaving Toronto about the 3rd and returning about the 20th. Looks like are choice is flying into St Thomas only. Thinking of visiting St Croix, Tortola, and Jost Van Dyke for sure, but looking for suggestions. Would love to fly out of the BVI on the return flight instead of returning to St. Thomas.. but don't think that is an option without numerous stop overs. We are looking for suggestions on flights as well as any advise on budget to moderate lodgings as our tastes are simple , however we love the beach, snorkelling, and just chilling. Not intersted in high end hotels. We have read a ton of the forums. I guess we're looking for the perfect itinery or someone that has taken the route we plan on. Of course we have researched the forums about Virgin Gorda, and other places of interest, renting cars etc etc.

Just need to hear of any other unique experiences with 2 to 3 days on each island and maybe a little expertise and advise from someone who has done it already and are willing to share their great experience. Thanks in advance!

Bill and Ruth Norris

Elmira Ont Canada

billnorris@rogers.com

Michigan
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Any advice for best flights out of Toronto

Airline:

I am seeing a round-trip ticket through American Airlines from Toronto to Beef Island for $865 pp.

One way from Beef Island to Toronto on the same airline is $671.

It sounds like you have done your research; my rule of thumb is that if I save $100 or more flying to St. Thomas then it is worth it (provided I don't have to stay overnite on St. Thomas).

I have only done bareboat charters in the BVI, no land-based trips (yet!) so I can't really help with hotels etc.

Elmira, Canada
Level Contributor
54 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any advice for best flights out of Toronto

Thanks Sweetwatergal for your reply.

If you have any other suggestions. Even though you say you've done mostly sailing instead of land tours like we are doing, we would sure appreciate any suggestions, beaches or sights we should not miss. Last year we backpacked through the Fiji Islands and stumbled across some wonderful sights and people. We hope to repeat that knowing that accomodations will be considerably more expensive..although we are still targeting budget lodgings..we are in our mid to late 50's but are open to any suggestions.

Bill and Ruth

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
209 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any advice for best flights out of Toronto

We did Toronto to St. Martin a few weeks ago on westjet and then caught St. Martin to Torotola using liat - all in all a very smooth way to get there. cheers

Boston
Level Contributor
6,544 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any advice for best flights out of Toronto

Hi,

If I were doing this trip, I would fly into St Croix and then out of Beef Island Tortola. You can do a multi-city trip on American and the cost is about $887 which is only a few dollars more than a round trip to Tortola.

If you want budget lodgings, on St Croix, I would stay at Hotel on the Cay (we stay there when we go). It is on an island in Christiansted and has a nice beach, pool, small restaurant on site, clean rooms with small kitchen facilities (fridge, microwave, toaster oven and coffee maker). It is very close to the town of Christiansted with the shops and fabulous restaurants (the best in the Virgin Islands IMO). By staying there you do not need a car the entire time, but should rent one for at least one day to drive around the island. You can also go on a tour to Buck Island from town. I would stay in St Croix for 4-5 nights.

Then, you can make your way to the BVI. I would fly, but you could take the seaplane to STT then take a ferry. I would stay at Cane Garden Bay (CGB) on Tortola either at Myetts or the Mongoose Apartments. If you want cheaper, you could stay at Rhymers. At CGB you can hang out for a couple of days without a car (there are enough restaurants and a grocery store) and do day trips to Jost, Virgin Gorda and Anegada. You can rent a car from Del and tour the island. If you like you could also stay on either VG or Jost for a couple of days, or even Anegada. Given that you are going in Feb, this might be desirable as there are more and more cruise ships coming into Tortola. We are staying at Fischer's Cove in Virgin Gorda in April. It has good reviews, but I cannot comment because I have not been there yet.

You did not mention if you wanted to go to St John or St Thomas. I would recommend a couple of days in St John if you can swing it as it is really gorgeous (but very expensive), but St Thomas is not one of my favorite places. We alternate between St Croix and the BVI so I am probably biased towards them, but there is so much to see in the BVI that you will not run out of things to do.

Elmira, Canada
Level Contributor
54 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any advice for best flights out of Toronto

Hey GordaguyII

Thanks for your reply . We will keep that in mind

Elmira, Canada
Level Contributor
54 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any advice for best flights out of Toronto

Thanks as well to you SaffieII

We are waiting to hear from our travel agent as we are giving her the options that we get on TA. Once we confirm our flights then we can build our itinerary around that. Your suggestions are good. Thanks to both you and Gordaguy for your input.

ps Happy Thanksgiving

Bill and Ruth

7. Re: Any advice for best flights out of Toronto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2011, 06:43
Get answers to your questions about British Virgin Islands