We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

recommendations on sailing tour

United States
Level Contributor
789 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
recommendations on sailing tour

Hi everyone. I'm trying to figure out where to go for vacation next year.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a sailing tour company I can go through to go island hopping in the BVI?

There are three of us and although we thought about chartering a boat we realized that a. we were hoping for something a little more affordable b. we would like some other travelers on the tour with us (maybe somewhere around 2-8 more travelers)

It doesn't have to be a yaht or catamaran type boat either. To save money, I'd be willing to go on small motorboats and then camp onshore at night if BVI offers those kinds of guided trips . The toilets need to be clean at the campsites though.

Thanks.

The Right Charter
Swim with Dolphins, Boat Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Speed Boats Tours
BVI360 Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
7,294 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: recommendations on sailing tour

It's hard to make specific recommendations since you didn't say what "something a little more affordable" means TO YOU. What can you afford???

For starters, check this website: bvitourism.com/WhatToDo/…CrewedCharters.aspx

It contains a list of several sailboat charter companies a few of which offer "shared charters". Also, try doing a google search using such topics as "British Virgin Islands Sailing Vacations" or "BVI's Shared Charters" and you'll find lots of links.

Finally, try posting an inquiry on the BVI Forum at www.traveltalkonline.com - there are lots of BVI sailing experts there who could give you some suggestions (Be sure to tell them your budget rather than saying you want something "affordable").

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
7,294 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: recommendations on sailing tour

I meant to add, you won't find anyone offering tours using small motorboats that allow you to camp onshore at night as camping on the beach is not permitted in the BVI's. By the way, as a general rule chartering a sailboat is usually less expensive than chartering a motorboat.

United States
Level Contributor
789 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: recommendations on sailing tour

I'm hoping for about $1K per person (discluding food) for 1 week. I don't think this is achievable without more people joining us (which is why I was wondering if there were some small tours available instead of charter). I assume air conditioning makes a big difference in comfort so was hoping to have that.

Is this possible and if so, with what good company?

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: recommendations on sailing tour

Nothing really comes to mind. Realistically, you're looking at $4-5k for a captain only charter. Roundup more friends or adjust your budget. A captain only charter(you provide the food) is actually a fairly reasonable way to see the islands when compared to land based accommodations,car rental/taxi/ferry etc.

United States
Level Contributor
789 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: recommendations on sailing tour

That's too bad. Looks like I'll have to do BVI some other time when I have a bigger group. Thanks.

6. Re: recommendations on sailing tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 April 2011, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about British Virgin Islands
Recent Conversations