We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Thomas or Virgin Gorda??

Austin, Texas
10 posts
Save Topic
St Thomas or Virgin Gorda??

If you had to choose which place to spend more time which would you choose?? Or would you even go to Virgin Gorda at all?? We have 6 nights and are wondering if it would be worth it to go to VG or just stay in St Thomas the whole time?? Or we could do each for 3 nights??

Columbus...
Level Contributor
170 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St Thomas or Virgin Gorda??

Leave STT as fast as possible and ferry over to Tortola. You can have a land based vacation there and ferry to Jost, VG and Anegada for day trips. SST is called the little Beruit in the BVI.

Edited: 06 August 2011, 23:18
Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,010 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St Thomas or Virgin Gorda??

I was thinking pretty much the same thing except it was to go quickly to VG and have a wonderful vacation- I really can't see being in ST when you could be in the BVI's- have a great time!

Boston
Level Contributor
1,501 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St Thomas or Virgin Gorda??

If you don't want to go to the BVI's, even St. John would be better than ST. Thomas. Staying within the US territories, you won't have to get passports for your children. I am assuming the picture is of your children, and I am assuming you might be taking them???

I land in St. thomas when I arrive, but I quickly head right over to Virgin Gorda. Good Luck and let us know what you decide. If you need more info on the BVI's, let us know.

Canada
Level Contributor
190 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: St Thomas or Virgin Gorda??

we frequent both, we land in STT, shop, dine, stay overnight at Bunker Hill then take the morning ferry to Tortola, get our boat and leave ASAP, we love STT for the convenience of flights and we always manage to find something to buy either jewellry or souveniers and we enjoy our stay with what we now consider friends at Bunker Hill, and one trip we added a couple days at the end to explore STT and ended up at Hull bay, all very nice but we absolutely adore VG. There's so many beach options that are as unique from each other as they are unique from other islands we've visited, the choice for food is vast, we love dining at the restaurant upstairs at Leverick, we've stayed in one of their villas one night when the seas were really rough but we always make leverick at least one of our overnight stops. over the years, we've rented driver and open sided safari vehicles or jeeps to drive around the island to explore, we love Savannah Bay, Trunk and Spring Bay beaches, it's very cool to explore North Sound in a dinghy and the list of great resautarnts for a variety of reasons is numerous, Fat Virgin, Sandbox, the vampire bakery on the outskirts of Spanishtown (nicknamed by locals because he's only open from 6 at night to 6 in the morning but has the best whole cooked chicken for $12 and amazing baked goods, Top o' the Baths, Mad Dogs, The Rock, lots of great evening entertainment and really its all very reasonabley priced

Austin, Texas
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: St Thomas or Virgin Gorda??

Thanks for the info! So, if we forego STT altogether would ya'll recommend Tortola or Virgin Gorda?? VG seems harder to get to with ferries only running T, TR and Sat.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,047 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St Thomas or Virgin Gorda??

What do you like to do and what are you looking to spend on accommodation? Do you need a pool, etc.

Austin, Texas
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: St Thomas or Virgin Gorda??

We are celebrating our 10 year anniversary so we're willing to splurge...maybe $400ish/night?? Definitely want a pool and an awesome beach with clear water! We want to relax...love going to fun dinners...getting massages.....maybe do a beach drop (where they drop you off on a deserted beach..have you done that before??)

Columbus...
Level Contributor
170 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St Thomas or Virgin Gorda??

We like Tortola because its centrally located between all the other BVI islands. It's the biggest island in the group. We were there last December and all the beautiful beaches were deserted. The north side has the best veiws and beaches. You can drive from west end of the island to east end in about 30 minutes. The big advantage is the ferry system, which enables you to travel to VG, Jost and Anegada for day trips. So you really get to enjoy all of the BVI with a land based vacation. There's many villas listed on VRBO.

Jersey City, New...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,234 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St Thomas or Virgin Gorda??

Ahhh Saffie, as usual, the voice of reason! LOL! It's been awhile,I hope all is well in your world. ;~> From the description you gave of what you'd like to do than, yes, I thing you'd enjoy Virgin Gorda a lot more than St. Thomas. I'm not sure when you're planning to travel, but Little Dix Bay on Virgin Gorda is a 5-star property with a spa, gorgeous beach and good restaurants. They also will arrange to pack up a lunch and transport you by boat to a private beach returning to pick you up at pre-arranged time.

Plus from Virgin Gorda you can do lovely day trips to the other small gems in the BVI's like Anegada, and Tortola. Jost is quite a hike from VG.

Good luck with your planning and best wishes for a super special anniversay celebration!

Boston
Level Contributor
1,501 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: St Thomas or Virgin Gorda??

What time of year are you going? $400 will get you a lot in the off season with specials that are offered.

I am partial to Virgin Gorda. Check out Little Dix for accomodations. I like the location of Little Dix and the beach is beautiful.

I believe there are some parts of Tortolla that people recommend not traveling in or around at night. You don't have that in Virgin Gorda. Never let your guard down ever, not even on vacation, but it is nice to know that you are very safe on VG.