We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Tree Farmers need 5 da getaway dec 22- on budget

West Jefferson
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas Tree Farmers need 5 da getaway dec 22- on budget

I see so much advice, but alot to absorb. Two adults + one teenager (16) flying from Charlotte, NC. We like to site-see landscapes and nature. My husband does not swim, but is not afraid of the water. We will need some sunshine after a cold busy harvest season in Blue Ridge Mts. It would be our first trip to BVI. Can we go for 5 days 4 nights for $3500.00? Can you recommend nice but economical place to stay? Is this do-able?

OOPS... not december 22. can't leave till dec 26!!

Edited: 05 October 2011, 16:03
Boston
Level Contributor
5,893 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas Tree Farmers need 5 da getaway dec 22- on budget

Look at Mongoose Apartments in Cane Garden Bay. They are nice apartments and you could all fit into one plus they have full kitchens. CGB has several restaurants and a grocery store, car rental place, bakery and nice beach. However, you are going at the highest of high season and places may already be booked. Have you booked your flight yet?

West Jefferson
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas Tree Farmers need 5 da getaway dec 22- on budget

I have not booked a flight. Looks like they are averaging 1K. Looks like I may have to go at a different time of the year. Any suggestions of another place to go at that time of year?

Boston
Level Contributor
5,893 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas Tree Farmers need 5 da getaway dec 22- on budget

I would go to a site like Travelocity or something to look for vacation packages and see if you can get one with your dates for a good price. Or, you could go somewhere like New Orleans. There are direct flights from Charlotte for less than $400.

Columbus...
Level Contributor
170 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas Tree Farmers need 5 da getaway dec 22- on budget

We travel a few weeks before the rates go up. This year we'll arrive on the 3rd of December for a nine day stay. It will be our first stay at The Heritage Inn, but we have seen and eaten at Bananakeets next door. Very reasonable rates with a great view. You should budget about 750.00 a day including airfare and jeep rental. Very close to your budget for a five night stay. Airfare should be around 560 to 600 out of North Carolina per person.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,922 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas Tree Farmers need 5 da getaway dec 22- on budget

I love the BVI's but have you checked Puerto Rico? We found the island of Culebra to be similar in topography, beaches, and water color/clarity to some of the USVI and BVI (only like 17 miles from St.Thomas by water) but for a much lower price. Culebra is a small and friendly place with a laid back vibe. There are economical places to stay- try Villa Boheme for example. You can rent a jeep or you can get around to most places by walking or using the "publicos"- buses- on the island. The food is very good and much cheaper then the VI's, in my opinion. Since SJU is such a major airport you can often get good rates on flights. You can fly into SJU and take a hopper from isla Grande airport on Flamenco Air (20 minutes) or a taxi ride to the end of the island at Fajardo and take a ferry- I would opt for the flight if you can swing it in your budget. Hope you find a perfect vacation!

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,922 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas Tree Farmers need 5 da getaway dec 22- on budget

PS www.islaculebra.com is a good site for information.

Boston
Level Contributor
5,893 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas Tree Farmers need 5 da getaway dec 22- on budget

DnAMobile: That is a great idea. Vieques would work as well. But flights at those dates are very expensive to most places in the Caribbean.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,922 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas Tree Farmers need 5 da getaway dec 22- on budget

maybe take a look at www.cheapcaribbean.com and see what might fit your price range in a place you might like-

West Jefferson
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas Tree Farmers need 5 da getaway dec 22- on budget

Or maybe I need to break down and up my budget. So, lets put the flight aside and base it on the islands. I really want to get away this December!

Boston
Level Contributor
5,893 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Christmas Tree Farmers need 5 da getaway dec 22- on budget

If you only have 5 days I would try to base my search on a place where you can fly non-stop from Charlotte, Otherwise you are going to spend a good part of the first and last day traveling.

Get answers to your questions about British Virgin Islands