We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Affordable private 3-night sailing charter

Boston MA
Level Contributor
256 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Affordable private 3-night sailing charter

We are 2 adult couples contemplating a 4-night stay in Virgin Gorda in Feb 2013, combined with a 3-night private, crewed, all-inclusive sailing charter. For the sail, we are interested in seeing the remote places that only a boat can take you to plus fishing, snorkeling, and general relaxation. We are complete rookies at this - having never been to VI, let alone BVI, and never having chartered an overnight sail. The websites I have been to - some brokers, other actual sailing outfits -- offer a bewildering array of choices, levels of luxury, pricing, etc. Does anyone have any advice on this? How much does it complicate the matter of getting on our charter to be in Virgin Gorda, and not some more bustling place like Tortola? (Do the charters pick guests up wherever they are?) Are certain vessels more affordable than others, i.e. yachts vs. catamarans? We are not looking to be "pampered" with super high-end luxury, but do want to be reasonably comfortable and well-fed. What is reasonable to expect to pay for such an experience? What are the "gotchas" to look out for? (For example, I've noticed some place give rates that don't include fuel. Is that common?) I realize some questions are impossible to answer without knowing more detail but if anyone can point me to some good resources that would be great.

If we conclude the 3 night charter is out of our reach financially or logistically, we might consider a one-day charter - any tips on that (particularly charters that include fishing) would be welcome as well.

Edited: 13 May 2012, 14:23
1. Re: Affordable private 3-night sailing charter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 00:15