We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Non-touristy Caribbean destination

Heredia, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
31 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Non-touristy Caribbean destination

My family wants to travel to the Caribbean, but we do NOT want to the experience of staying on a resort. Last year we went to Costa Rica and absolutely loved it. We know that we won't find the exact same experience as we found at CR (nor do we really want to because we'd like to experience something different), but I wanted to know if anyone knew of anything comparable on the Caribbean islands. Basically we'd like to find a place the has beautiful beaches to explore, good snorkeling/diving, opportunity to experience some of the local culture, and not a party scene (although places to hang out on the beach are nice).

In my research, it looks like the islands that would be the best match are Dominica, St. Lucia, or BVI. However, we are also open to going to somewhere along the Caribbean coast of Central America, such as the Bay Islands (I know the Belize would be a good option, but I've already been there). Basically, I wanted to know if anyone had any comments on the places I've listed, or any other ones that may fit the bill for what we're looking for.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Non-touristy Caribbean destination

Are you looking for a large island where you can go exploring? Costa Rica is much bigger than most of these islands and there is so much more to do on Costa Rica. You might be dissappointed if you want to find the same type of adventure you found there. That being said, I vote for virgin gorda. It has got nice beaches, local culture, it is quiet, and you can dive with Dive BVI. Just remember, even though Virgin Gorda is the second large British Virgin Island, it is small. You may even like St. John, USVI.

You may also want to look into Anguilla. It is a small quiet island with beautiful beaches and relatively easy to get to.

I haven't been to the caribbean coast of central america, so I can't comment. Good luck and happy travels!

S B
New York
Level Contributor
314 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Non-touristy Caribbean destination

Anguilla has beautiful beaches to explore, local culture, some good beach bars but not a party scene. The snorkling is good, not great. The people are great. it is one of the flat, arid islands, not lush and mountainous like St Lucia or BVI

Boston
Level Contributor
5,893 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Non-touristy Caribbean destination

We alternate between BVI and St Croix because they both have most of what you describe.

They are not touristy, both have beautiful beaches, great snorkeling and diving and St Croix has the best restaurants in the VI. Also there is a lot of history there and the local people in both places are great if you take the time to engage them. Neither are party destinations and there is a lot to do on both.

Attleboro, MA
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Non-touristy Caribbean destination

We have been to Anegada three years in a row. Small island but a wonderful island. We rented Lavenda Breeze. Great home and very private. Rent a jeep and you are good to go....provision through Bobby's on Tortola an it comes over on the ferry. This is the most non touristy of any island we have been to. Happy planning.

5. Re: Non-touristy Caribbean destination

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 03:41
Get answers to your questions about British Virgin Islands