We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overwhelmed :)

Georgia
Level Contributor
59 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Overwhelmed :)

Hi everyone!

This is my first time posting a question on TA. I'm usually really good at reading forums and figuring things out but I would like the opinions of some "seasoned" BVI goers :)

My husband and I are planning a trip to the BVIs thinking early December or early January (leaning more towards Dec). It's just the two of us and we are in our late 20's. I would like to stay 7-10 days and split our trip up. My question is should we stay on 2-3 islands or just 2? We are starting our vacation in St John for the first few nights but I'm stumped on where to go from there. I've looked at all the BVIs and they are all beautiful so I really don't know where to go from St John. We love the beach, relaxing, exploring, restaurants, laid back happy hours, and just relaxing! Ideally we would be at a nice enough place that we could stay and enjoy the beach/pool but we are also want to venture out as well. looked into Scrub Island but thought we may get bored there after a few days...not sure though! We've been to many other islands in the Caribbean but can't wait to experience the beauty of the BVIs!

Also, for anyone who's been to St. John. How far out should we rent a jeep? I assumed we would just do it when we got there but after reading reviews it seems the book up in advance. Thanks to everyone who offers insight :)

Columbus...
Level Contributor
207 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overwhelmed :)

Hey! Fellow southerners. We have traveled to BVI a few times and will return this December. We wouldn't suggest staying on several islands. You wll spend too much of your precious vacation time packing and unpacking. Tortola is the most convenient because of the ferry system. This visit, we plan to ferry over to St. John. Just never taken the time on previous trips. We make Tortola, which is the largest island, our base. The ferry system from West End or Road Town can let you day trip to all other islands. We always rent a jeep. JVD, VG and Anegada make great day trips. As I said, renting a jeep for the day really lets you enjoy each island at your own pace. Cost is less than tours or a cab. We love Tortola! If you stay your entire trip, everyone will know you by name when you depart. If your headed down December 7th to the 16th...We'll meet and buy you two a few drinks!

Georgia
Level Contributor
59 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overwhelmed :)

Thanks for the southern hospitality :) Didn't even think of the wasted time packing/unpacking. Good point! Tortola looks beautiful! Do you have any recommendations on where to stay? Also, do you fly into St Thomas?

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overwhelmed :)

We've been to all of the BVI as well as St. John, and, if you are only planning to stay a week, I suggest staying on one island; however, if you are staying 10 days, it is easy to ilon hop with the ferry system, and I'd consider staying on 2 islands.

Tortola is the largest island, both in terms of size, as well as population. As rebelblues notes, there is a convenient ferry system that connects all of the islands. If you are particularly interested in night life, then Tortola will have more of that than any of the other islands.

In certain respects, the BV island that is considered comparable to St. John is Virgin Gorda. I can't tell from your post if you've been to St. J before. St. J. has a fair number of switchbacks on its roads, whereas VG has one main road, 8 miles long, that runs most of the length of the island, with arteries, and just a few switch backs. VG is a laid back island with the world famous Baths and stunning soft white beaches on it's southern end, Little Dix, Savannah, Pond, Mahoe, Mountain Trunk, Nail, and Long Bay beaches in its mid-section, and a number of resorts, islands, beaches, and restaurants in North Sound. You can get from one end of the island to the other in 20 mins or so. We do a lot of scuba diving and snorkeling, and VG has the best snorkeling of the BVI, although I would put it behind the snorkeling on St. John.

Jost Van Dyke has less than 200 residents, and has stunning White Bay, which tends to make most top 10 lists in the Caribbean.

Anegada, in contrast to the rest of the US & BVI, is a coral atoll, flat, arid, and has miles of mostly deserted soft white sandy beaches on its northern shore.

Nov. is the wettest month, and we have friends who experienced quite a bit of rain in the BVI during their Thanksgiving visit last yr. I'm not certain what early Dec. is like. We've had very good weather on 2 early Jan. vacations in the SVI & BVI.

Keep us posted on your plans, alashas http://www.youtube.com/user/honeymoon2

Georgia
Level Contributor
59 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overwhelmed :)

So helpful!! Thank you! We have never been to St John so it sounds like it will be a treat. We are leaning towards ten days so hopefully we can stay at St John then one other island. Leaning towards Tortola now I believe..with a day trip to another island maybe? Your summary of the islands was so very helpful! Thanks!

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overwhelmed :)

We generally try to stay 10 to 12 days, especially when we ilon hop. Both St. J and Tortola will have plenty of things to do, esp. during "high season." We stayed nearly 3 wks on St. J and never did see all of its beaches. Much of St. J and most of the beaches are National Park, and very few of the places to stay are on a beach, but the beaches are easily reached by the road system.

Tortola has a # of outstanding beaches on its north shore, and I'd take a close look at accommodations near those beaches. Cane Garden Bay is the most popular, and has the most accommodations, restaurants, as well as a small, well stocked grocery store. It is also the most popular destination when cruise ships are in port. You can decide during your stay if you want to take a day trip to another island. "The Baths" on VG are generally considered the one "must see" site in the BVI.

Keep us posted, alashas

Georgia
Level Contributor
59 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overwhelmed :)

I really appreciate the great advice! I think we will probably stay half of our trip in SJ and the other half in Tortola. The baths in VG sounds like a great day trip! As far as getting there, is it correct that we will fly into St Thomas then ferry over to SJ which will have a ferry to Tortola as well?

Boston
Level Contributor
6,457 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Overwhelmed :)

Yes that is correct, but if it were me, I would do St John last because it will be easier to get to the airport. For CGB accommodation, we like Mongoose Apts. or Myetts.

Georgia
Level Contributor
59 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Overwhelmed :)

Thanks so much!

9. Re: Overwhelmed :)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 05 April 2013, 22:35
Georgia
Level Contributor
59 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Overwhelmed :)

Tom- We considered this. Actually when first planning the trip that was my initial thought but after looking into it seemed to get complicated. There is just the two of us and it seemed like most charters were for groups and such. I did some research and then decided maybe to vist first before planning a yacht charter. That sounds like an absolute perfect vacation!

Get answers to your questions about British Virgin Islands