We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me plan my 2014 Honeymoon!

Washington...
Level Contributor
185 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Help me plan my 2014 Honeymoon!

We are planning a two week Caribbean honeymoon on a budget, and would like to spend no more than 1,200 per week on lodging (its July, so rates are lower). I would like to spend a week, maybe a day or two more exploring BVI and the remainder in St. John.

Im thinking we will fly into BVI from the states, and fly home from St John. We want to try to use ferry's and public transport where we can- any suggested agendas? or things we have to see/do? Maybe spend a few days on specific islands? Or should we rent a home base for a week and just do day trips?

Pasadena, Maryland
Level Contributor
302 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Help me plan my 2014 Honeymoon!

You should look at Guavaberry Spring Bay or Coppermine Cottages on VG, I think they would fit your budget.

east longmeadow, ma
Level Contributor
233 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help me plan my 2014 Honeymoon!

Hi Alicia,

First off, Nauticall gives good advice here, I would check into A/C in those places, as it can be hot in July. The posters on your original thread also gave good advice.

As far as travel goes, you won't be flying to the BVI from the States per se. That would require a stop in either San Juan or St. Thomas. On the way back you also wouldn't fly out of St. John (no airport), but would short ferry over to St. Thomas and fly home from there.

As far as home base island vs. hopping around.....that's really a personal choice, and case can be made for both. You did list a budget for the weeks, but didn't list what you would like vs. what you need. The BVI and St. John aren't known as "budget" destinations in general, however, they can be done without breaking the bank if you are willing to compromise some luxury, for some savings. How much you want to comprise, only you know.....honeymoon's are a one time thing! I would personally trade some luxury for savings, and plow that money into vehicle rental. The BVI are known as a sailors paradise, but are also great land based. The flexibility a car gives can make a big difference in your experience. You may not need one everyday, but on more than a few, you'll wish you had one.

The ferries are generally a pretty good deal, and are pretty reliable, with the exception of the Tortola--St. Thomas runs, those have been eratic the last few months. Public transportation in the BVI is pretty much non existent and taxi's ain't cheap! Couldn't tell you about public transport on St. John as I always have wheels. I've done the island hopping by ferry trips in the past and loved it! 2 weeks would be a real treat! If you would like, send a PM and I'll give you some things that I found helpful.....hope this helps!

Washington...
Level Contributor
185 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help me plan my 2014 Honeymoon!

Our budget is around $4,000 (NOT including flights)- or about $1,000 per person per week.

east longmeadow, ma
Level Contributor
233 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help me plan my 2014 Honeymoon!

That seems a little tight to me IMHO. Not undoable.....but it would require a lot of effort and some sacrifice to stay within budget, especially with lodging and transportation costs. I realize you're trying to stretch 1 week into 2 weeks by having a budget, but what about a compromise? Maybe do 5 days in Virgin Gorda or Tortola, and 5 days on St. John, and keep the same budget. Just an idea....it may help free up some funds to do more cool stuff in a shorter timeframe......again, NOT trying to rain on your parade, but the BVI and STJ are like a vacuum cleaner for cash. They're both great spots, and both great for "do it yourself" travel....but everything comes with a price....just a thought

Washington...
Level Contributor
185 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help me plan my 2014 Honeymoon!

We hopefully should have a little wiggle room- to the tune of 1k, but really want to be thrifty, yet enjoy ourselves.

east longmeadow, ma
Level Contributor
233 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help me plan my 2014 Honeymoon!

That extra 1k could be the diff. between really enjoying yourself or not!.....if ya' got it......I would plow it into transportation......others may differ......but that is my advice.

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,791 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help me plan my 2014 Honeymoon!

As everyone has stated, that is not much money for an expensive location. Here are some bare bone numbers

http://sailviewstjohn.com/

This property is one of the best deals on St John and would be an excellent deal on Virgin Gorda. You can rent it for 882.75 a week. Staying within your budget of $4000.00, if you rented it for two weeks you would have 2234.50 left. Buses are available on St John but the schedule is iffy and the bus does not take you to most beaches. Therefore, you have no choice but to rent a car. Including taxes, that will run you about $450.00 per week. You are now reduced to 1334.50. You have to get from St Thomas to St John and back, and perhaps take a day trip to Jost and a day trip to Virgin Gorda on ferries, and then pay for transportation once you get there. Give yourself a budget $400.00 to do all that, which means you now have $934.50. Actually, you have a $854.50 - you have to pay a departure tax of $20.00 per person per visit from the BVI (recently raised). $854.50 is what two people have for two weeks on islands notorious for how costly their food is. That is $61.00 per day. That could be done. Use the grocery store wisely and save up for the occasion splurge out to eat.

Now that you have the basic numbers, you can see what liveforthebeach meant when they said $1000 could mean the difference between enjoying yourself or not. An extra $1000 allows you to split time between the islands. Maybe stay at Guavaberry for a week and have some extra money for more meals out or perhaps a day trip to Anegada or a snorkel trip with Dive BVI.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help me plan my 2014 Honeymoon!

You might want to limit the rental car expense. Try and stay some place where you would only need it for a day or two. Use the extra savings on taking a few day trips to visit other islands. And to answer your question, I would do a home base island and do a day trip from there. You will want to explore the island you are on and relax, so don't stress about getting to all the islands. Pick one or two, but keep a home base. You don't want to be packing every two or three nights.

We stay at a Budget hotel on the beach in Virgin Gorda. We walk to town, beaches, and restaurants. We have access to restaurants and markets where the locals go which means it is cheaper. We only rent a car for a day or two tops.

If staying on St. John's means needing a car the entire time, I would cross it off my list. You are probably really confused by now with all these suggestions, but check them all out.

Check out Fischer's Cove Beach Hotel on Virgin Gorda. It is budget, but they have hotel rooms for $780 per week off season and if you stay over a week the per night price drops to $98 plus taxes.

Don't worry about the money, you can have a terrific time and fit it in under your budget! You just have to do your homework. Good luck and congratulations. Let us know what you decided.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help me plan my 2014 Honeymoon!

Check out this 4 night package at Fischer's Cove. Includes: a studio hotel room (single or double occupancy per room only), 4 days breakfast, and a bottle of locally made Tropix Rum.Free use of: beach chairs, beach towels & ice coolers May 25 to August 15 4 Nights $395.00

plus 7% government tax + 10% service charge (10% service charge is to be paid in cash upon check out.)

Under a $100 per night and free breakfast. That is a great deal. Do your homework though to make sure you know exactly what this or any property is like. This is for 2013, but they probably would honor this for next year too.

Edited: 09 July 2013, 18:23
10. Re: Help me plan my 2014 Honeymoon!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2014, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about British Virgin Islands