We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which island? Where to stay?

western ny
Level Contributor
272 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
Which island? Where to stay?

Need a little direction. We have been going to St. Thomas, St. John since 1996. We have been once on a day trip to Tortola and once to Jost.

Took the,plunge and snagged some good air fares last night for 8 nights flying to STT in December. we would like to explore one of the BVI's this time and spend the week there, probably Tortola, VG or Jost.

So....here's what we like...

Amazing views, especially like to watch boat traffic

Peace and quiet

Would love a place on the beach ( a rarity on STT or STJ)

Just the two of us so can be smaller

Like being able to walk to restaurants

We enjoy beaches but don't snorkel

Budget maybe max $2500 for a week, I don't know how this compares to STJ prices.

So which island? And any housing suggestions? Would prefer villa but if there's a place that has cottages on a common property that might work if the cottages were spaced out.

I need to check too, is driving on the left? Steering wheels too?

Normally I plan trips 6 monts or more out, so I'm feeling rushed already on the planning.

Thanks, I'm excited!

Mentioned in this post
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
U.S. Virgin Islands
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
Tortola
Tortola
British Virgin Islands
ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,792 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which island? Where to stay?

Driving is on the left and steering wheels are on the left like they are on St Thomas and St John.

Sounds like you would really like Guavaberry. Their cottages are not on the beach but they are within a 10 minute walk or a 1-3 minute drive. Guavaberry has a private entrance to Spring Bay beach, one of the most beautiful on the island - or anywhere, for that matter. PM me if you want me to send you pictures of the beach and the connecting beach area.The cottages rent for 1872.50 a week in season including taxes so that is in your budget. Guavaberry has an onsite commissary with most everything you will need to eat and drink for the week at fair prices. They also rent a place called "Casa Luna" that is a one to two minute walk from Spring Bay and is $2428.90 per week in season. You can watch the boats coming in and out to visit the Baths, just next door. Spring Bay has the same topography but no crowds. Here are two links:

guavaberryspringbay.com/accommodations.htm

http://www.casarocalta.com/

Mentioned in this post
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
U.S. Virgin Islands
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
Spring Bay
Spring Bay
245 Reviews
Virgin Gorda
The Baths
The Baths
2,517 Reviews
Virgin Gorda
British Virgin...
Level Contributor
806 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which island? Where to stay?

Second the recommendation for Virgin Gorda. The same people who manage Guavaberry also manage the villas at Leverick, some of which fall within your budget. The boat watching there would be great, although it might not be as good for the beaches. They also have a shop and restaurants. Either way, you will want to rent a car to tour the island. Driving on Virgin Gorda is much easier than on Tortola, with less traffic and better roads.

Mentioned in this post
Virgin Gorda
Virgin Gorda
British Virgin Islands
Tortola
Tortola
British Virgin Islands
western ny
Level Contributor
272 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which island? Where to stay?

Thanks for the suggestions so far; I'll definitely look into them. So driving on Tortola can be an experience? How does it compare to St. Thomas for example?

Mentioned in this post
Tortola
Tortola
British Virgin Islands
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
U.S. Virgin Islands
Pasadena, Maryland
Level Contributor
302 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Which island? Where to stay?

I think that the boat watching and views in general are better at Leverick. Take a look at Tamarind Villa or Sea Dream Villa both are on VRBO.

5. Re: Which island? Where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2014, 06:22