We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help sorting out which Island?

Seaside Heights...
Level Contributor
136 posts
240 reviews
Save Topic
Help sorting out which Island?

Hello TA Community:

I am hoping you can help me sort out some travel ideas. My hubby and I will be camping in the National Park on St. John for 2 weeks. After, we would like to visit the BVI for 3 or 4 nights before we head back to the US.

We do not want to rent a car. We are looking for budget/reasonable price hotel on or walking distance from a beach. We like to snorkel. It should also be walking distance from restaurants/bars, etc. Ideally it will have a kitchen and a grocery store nearby.

We plan on taking the Ferry from St John or St. Thomas.

Any ideas or which Island/beach to look at? I did try looking at Virgin Gorda and Tortola. The amount of beaches/areas was overwhelming so I couldn’t figure out where to start. I hope this group can help me sort through a short list to investigate.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Fairport, New York
Level Contributor
793 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help sorting out which Island?

Try posting on Travel Talk Online (TTOL) it is a pretty active board for BVI's

traveltalkonline.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
6,851 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help sorting out which Island?

In order for contributors to be of any real help you have to define what "budget/reasonable price" means TO YOU - those terms are meaningless without a point of reference. Give us a dollar range on what you can afford.

Seaside Heights...
Level Contributor
136 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help sorting out which Island?

I am hoping to spend $100 per night or less for a clean room walking distance to the beach and restaurants. If that is not possible, I am looking for the next lowest increment.

As I will not have a car, it is important to be walking distance from the beach and restaurants.

It is a bonus if the room has a kitchen to keep the food costs down.

As I will just have come from camping, clean sheets will feel like luxury.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Boston
Level Contributor
5,891 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help sorting out which Island?

Look at Fischer's Cove on Virgin Gorda.

Also, on Tortola, in Cane Garden Bay there is the Elm and Rhymers. The snorkeling is not great though, but it has everything else you need.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help sorting out which Island?

If you are going during the low season, more options open up to you. If you are going during high season, the rates really escalate.

Others options to consider:

Virgin Gorda - M and M apartments. This is not on the beach, but it is in waking distance to the Baths/Spring Bay, and also walking distance to several restaurants and shops. This is an apartment. Rates are listed on the website. www.mandmapartmentsuites.com/?page_id=16

If you don't need a kitchen, there is also the Wheel House on Virgin Gorda. This is not on a beach either, but the Yacht Harbor is across the street. It would be a longer walk to the Baths/Spring Bay. There is a beach closer near the ferry terminal. You may want to get a car just to see the island, as there is so much more to see.

Tortola: You could also try Sebastian's on the Beach (West End Area) They have regular rooms and villa's, which would have the kitchen you want. The villas are on a separate website I believe than the hotel.

Make sure you check out the reviews on any place you are considering staying to see if it meets your needs/expectations. Or ask more questions here. Good Luck. Let us know what you decide.

6. Re: Help sorting out which Island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2014, 06:21