We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Island Recommendation - somewhere not too developed?

Stamford...
Level Contributor
578 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Island Recommendation - somewhere not too developed?

My boyfriend and I are looking to go away for a week in March to the Caribbean. We'd like to go somewhere not too developed or too touristy. We're basically looking to relax. Maybe do some hiking, trips to the beach, snorkeling, kayaking, etc, but relaxing is really #1. We want to rent a villa - something simple b/c there's only 2 of us, but we do want it to have its own pool.

Our budget for the villa rental would be up to about $1200 for the week. I thought we'd found the perfect solution in Montserrat, but now the volcano situation there is making me nervous. Does anyone else have a suggestion of an island that would meet this criteria, and do you have a website recommendation to find a villa rental?

Also, If anyone has any thoughts on Montserrat, I'd love to hear them!

The Right Charter
Swim with Dolphins, Boat Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Speed Boats Tours
BVI360 Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,872 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Island Recommendation - somewhere not too developed?

Anegada, BVI, is not at all touristy. Also consider Bonaire, Netherlands Antilles.

West Virginia
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Island Recommendation - somewhere not too developed?

Strongly agree with recommendations of other poster.

Also, check out the Cayman Kai area of Grand Cayman. Sounds ideal for what you are looking for. However, doubt if you will find a villa with its own pool for $1200.

How adventurous are you? I don't mean physically, I mean in a sense of finding the unique. If you really want to get away, go to Anegada. But doubt if you will find a villa with its own pool.

Trust me, you will have great stories to tell about your trip to Anegada that you will not find on any other island.

Took us 3 tries to find the grocery store in the village. No sign on it - was driving by and saw the door open and noticed shelves of food.

Only about 100 people live on the island.

Take lots of books - there is a library but no place to buy books. Of course, you become friends with all the other tourists so you trade books. Anegada Reef Hotel - loved it. EXCELLENT food. Absolutely nothing fancy about it but clean, wonderful wonderful people work there. A few sailboats come in every evening for dinner and congregate at the bar so you get to meet people from all over the world.

The Hotel and the island are UNIQUE!!!!!!! Flat as a pancake. Rent a car and explore.

3. Re: Island Recommendation - somewhere not too developed?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 17:20
Get answers to your questions about British Virgin Islands