We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tortola by cruise ship

Gladstone, MO
Level Contributor
272 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Tortola by cruise ship

Has anyone cruise to Tortola?

I just discovered Tortola, and am really thinking of visiting it, instead of Aruba.

If you have cruise to Tortola, what ship did you cruise on? I'm trying to find a cruise ship that goes that direction.

Brneyes

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,655 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tortola by cruise ship

Cruise ships do stop in Road Town, Tortola, usually just for the day or for one overnight. Most of these cruises offer day trips to Cane Garden Bay beach. CGB is a beautiful, laid back beach, with bars and restaurants. On your way over the mountain in an open-sided bus, you will get lovely views of the Caribbean. In Road Town there is an interesting small shopping area. Tortola is not as "touristy" or developed as some other ports of call.

Gladstone, MO
Level Contributor
272 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tortola by cruise ship

Kiawahvilla, thank you for your reply back.

Cane Garden Bay Beach sounds awesome. The island doesn't have to be "touristy" for me. I don't mind if it is "laid back", which not a lot going on.

I love to see what God has created in nature, so it sounds beautiful to me.

Hopefully I will find a cruise line/ship that will be going that direction from the states.

Brneyes

Boston
Level Contributor
5,893 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tortola by cruise ship

Why don't you go for the week. You won't regret it. There is a lot to see and do on the BVI that you cannot see in a few hours from a cruise ship.

Just a thought!

Gladstone, MO
Level Contributor
272 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tortola by cruise ship

Saffie11, thanks for the thought, but I am taking a friend with me that this is her "1st cruise, and she is really getting "excited" about going, but it still worrying about getting seasick. I told her everything would be fine.

Maybe next time we go the Tortola route, we could do that.

Brneyes

Fairport, New York
Level Contributor
793 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tortola by cruise ship

I am not personally big on cruise ships because of the seasickness. The last cruise we took I got the behind the ear patches from my doctor, they worked wonders, mind you I have tried the drmamine, wrist things, etc, and the patches were hands down the best. The only problem was that I immediately took them off once we got home and had a 1 1/2 day delayed effect of seasickness. For our cruise to Alaska I will not take them off for a couple of days after we get home.

http://community.webshots.com/user/kagjjg

Gladstone, MO
Level Contributor
272 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tortola by cruise ship

iig, thanks for the input on the patches behind the ear. I had read about them, and have seen them on passengers before. Also about informing me NOT to take the patch off, as soon as you get off the ship.

Is the only way you can get the patches is by going to the doctor? Do you know if a person could get them over the counter at a pharmacy? It seems like it would be a lot of trouble just to go to the doctor for a patch. Maybe my friend could get it from the doctor on the ship.

Brneyes

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,655 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tortola by cruise ship

Better to get the patch before you travel. For effectiveness, the patch is supposed to be applied 72 hours before disembarking so the medication has time to be absorbed. Since the motion sickness could ruin your friend's trip, a trip to the doctor seems like a very small investment of time.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,655 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tortola by cruise ship

Oops! I meant "embarking", not "disembarking". Sorry.

Pinehurst, NC
Level Contributor
9 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tortola by cruise ship

Brneyes,

Forget Cane Garden Bay. Everyone will be bussed there. Hire a private cab and have him take you to Smugglers Cove. It is the best spot(in my humble opinion) on Tortola.There is a beach bar and it is very quiet. 20 people make up a large group at Smugglers. If you like to snorkle than go out to the point on your left looking out(Gun Point). The snorkling is great there. We stayed at Gun Point Estate and saw dolphis, nurse sharks, huge tarpon, turtles and Manta Rays.

Ozzy

Fairport, New York
Level Contributor
793 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tortola by cruise ship

The patches are by perscirption only, I called the doctor up and he called in a script to the pharmacy directly, thus not "housecall" charge for him. The ship will not dispense them since they are perscription only., I think the co-pay was minor and it was 3 patches which last 3 days each.