We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry confusion

Chicago
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Ferry confusion

I've been reading very mixed messages about the ferries in St. Thomas... some seem to love them and some seem to hate them! I'm wondering how frequently they run. I will be arriving late morning/early afternoon and want to (ASAP) catch a ferry to Tortola to catch a boat. I'm not on a schedule, but would like to not keep our guests waiting for hours while we wait for a ferry. Any opinions? I'm trying to decide if it's worth avoiding flying directly into Tortola (more expensive and less flights available). Thanks!

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry confusion

The ferries from STT are fine. I too have read the reviews and find that many vacationers have a preconceived notion that these will be luxury vessels, after all, it IS their vacation!! Think of the ferries as a city bus or subway. Basic transportation for point A to point B. Of course you may smell diesel fumes, as that is what they are powerd by. Don't expect entertainment(other than watching other passengers)or complimentary cocktails. It is a floating bus, and has never let me down yet. Google "Smith Ferry Services" for an updated schedule. Have always found the ferry trip much more relaxing.

McKees Rocks, PA
Level Contributor
461 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry confusion

I have always enjoyed the ferry rides to Tortola and back to St. Thomas.

It is a great way to start a trip and a great way to end it.

In addition to the above mentioned Smiths Ferry there is also Native Son Ferry and it now looks like there is a new one called Fast Ferry

http://www.tortolafastferry.com/

Michigan
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
1,641 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry confusion

I agree. We always fly from O'Hare into STT and then take the ferry over to Tortola. I love the ferries. They are very relaxing and enjoyable. You can look around and see so much beauty as well as smell the salt water:) I do not know why people are saying the ferries are aweful. Also, between all the different ferry companies, you can usually catch one in under an hour.

Pasadena, Maryland
Level Contributor
302 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry confusion

I would have to be the dissenting vote here. I hate the STT airport, the rude taxi drivers, the traffic in town, the hawkers at the ferry terminal trying to get you on their ferry even if it is not the best one for you to take for where you want to go, Oh and the worst guy is the one at the airport that directs you to the taxi he wants you to get on. For my money I would much rather fly into EIS and catch a taxi or walk across the street and have a drink at Trellis Bay.