We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report - July 3 - 10, 2009. Amazing place

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
77 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report - July 3 - 10, 2009. Amazing place

To get Tortola from DC is NOT that easy but so very worth it. A 6:00 am flight to Miami, 3 ½ hour layover and finally a flight to St. Thomas. (there is no decent food at the Miami airport). Then our first problem: the hustle you where it is easiest for them. They don’t care where YOU want to go – only to get you in a cab fast. I kept saying we wanted a single cab to the west end ferry to Tortola. We got pushed into the cattle vans hauling many people and got stuck on the Road Town Fast Ferry. Should have known my stuff better and got the right transport – but oh, well, we still made it to Road Town.

Had our car rented with Jerry – who was not happy we were going to Road Town instead of West End. He told us to take a cab to his shop. We did and got there but no Jerry. And the cab wouldn’t wait. The keys were in the car, the office was open so I did the paper work and took the car (fearing that I would be arrested later in the day for car theft). We called the next day and he said “no problem – we will settle at the end of the week”. Great omen for the days ahead.

Finally made it to Sugar Mill – rooms 110 and 101 for a family of four is just about the nicest set up for an apartment ever. Our room has an awesome balcony with a hammock looking out over Jost Van Dyke. We had a great meal - really great – and celebrated finally making it to Tortola with Caribs and a nice white wine!

Day 1 – Breakfast at Sebastians – banana pancakes to die for and great pastries (don’t get the toast). Did the beach at Sugar Mill – very small, limited snorkeling but no one but us - gotta love the private beach. Dinner at Banakeets – outstanding drinks, great sunset shot and really great food and views

Day 2 – tried to find the bakery in Cane Garden Bay – no luck, pressed on the treacherous drive to the East End. Shopped at Trellis Bay and had an amazing sandwich at the Trellis Bay Kitchen. Very relaxing morning after the drive. Then went to Long Bay (by the airport) – a must see beach. Absolutely gorgeous and some good snorkeling. Then went to Josiah’s Bay - a bit of a “sketchy” crowd that didn’t make us feel all that comfortable – but if you surf it is the place to be. Dinner is the BBQ at the Elm – an ABOSLUTE MUST – outstanding food and amazing entertainment for a great price. It is only on Friday and Sundays so don’t miss it. This was definitely a highlight.

Day 3 – no breakfast – rainy day. Shopping at Soper’s then an early lunch at Pusser’s which was very good. Bought more Cuban’s at Pussers and they did have a good selection. Got some after noon beach time at Sugar Mill. If the weather stinks – just wait because it changes fast. Dinner at Sebastians which was great.

Day 4 – breakfast at Sugar Mill – very tasty and then all day sail on Freedom Charters. Having a boat to ourselves for the same price as the crowded snorkeling trips makes this a great family day. Snorkeling at the Indians and the Caves with lunch at Pirates Blight with Capt Paul and sailing around the islands is a dream. Done a lot of snorkeling and the Indians top the list. I seriously hate the crowded snorkel boats but love a great snorkeling adventure. I will always try to find another Freedom Charters on other islands. Dinner at Sugar Mill is great again – we pass on the full moon party since we are a family and it was most certainly not family entertainment.

Day 5 – had to get the banana pancakes at Sebastians again. Then our beach trek – first to Smuggler’s Cove which is beyond beautiful. Best beach chairs (on the right – not the left as you look at the water) and you only have to order a drink to get them (and the drinks were good). Too much fun. Lunch at Pusser’s then over to Brewer’s. Great snorkeling and gorgeous beach as well. Spectacular day. Dinner at Jolly Roger is pretty amazing. I had a lobster as big as my head – it was huge and delicious. The place was pretty packed but service good and food great.

Day 6 – we took the early ferry to Jost Van Dyke. This, I believe was key – it is an 8 AM ferry from West End but it was worth it because the last cab back is at 5 PM. We got to JVD and there was no cab at the dock. We were the only tourists there (which is always great). A cab showed just as we were walking and took us to the Soggy Dollar. We got our lounge chairs and relaxed. At 11 we got our first Painkiller which was the absolute best. Good lunch as well. Just a great beach and a great day. Unfortunately, the boat people crammed on to their snorkel excursions descended upon us later in the afternoon. We had Bunn (the cab driver) pick us up at 2:30 and went to Foxy’s. He took us on a little tour as we went which was great. Foxy’s was dead – but we picked up some souvenirs and had a few drinks. Very relaxing. The Saba dollar is stapled to the ceiling. Dinner at Bananakeets – great blackened snapper.

Day 7 – sniff, sniff. Leaving on the ferry. Could have used two more days to see it all.

We have been to St. Thomas, Aruba, St. Kitts, Turks and Caicos and Curacao before this. Gotta say that Tortola moved into the number one spot in our hearts and minds. This because we don’t want crowds, love great beaches, casual food (not fine dining) and relaxing. Tortola has it all. It was amazing – thanks in part to the many posters on this forum so our sincere thanks to you all for a phenomenal trip.

I will be on the forums to answer questions for a few weeks. Hope this helps all future Tortola visitors!!

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report - July 3 - 10, 2009. Amazing place

Great trip report, docsaba! We've been to some of the other islands you mention and concur with your assessment of Tortola, and the same applies to the other BVI. I recommend giving serious thought to going to Virgin Gorda for your next trip, and do a day trip to Anegada.

By the way, I have had a very good lunch at the MIA Airport Hotel. You have to go outside of security and it is on the top floor of the hotel.

thanks again, alashas http://honeymoon2.smugmug.com/

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
77 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report - July 3 - 10, 2009. Amazing place

We were forming that thought on the way home. We had heard good things about both. Guess it is time to start stalking those forums..THANKS!D

Michigan
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report - July 3 - 10, 2009. Amazing place

Great report! I agree that on your next trip you have got to at least go to Virgin Gorda! Glad you had such a great time, and also fell in love with the islands!

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,223 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report - July 3 - 10, 2009. Amazing place

docsaba-

thanks for the PM reply and the advice. Also, Alashas has been a great help to me- look at some of his VG and Anegada trip reports and gorgeous photos and you will see why I am planning that trip now! I discovered the place at the Miami airport years ago- is it still the only place to kill some time??? I try hard to avoid that airport myself- we will fly direct from Atlanta to St. Thomas next year like we have done before to both there and San Juan- unfortunately we will have time to kill in Atlanta both coming and going but there are worse places to be stuck. Thanks again for the great report.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
435 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report - July 3 - 10, 2009. Amazing place

Enjoyed your trip report........

Thanks for taking the time to post it.......

brooklyn, ny
Level Contributor
438 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report - July 3 - 10, 2009. Amazing place

Nice report. We were there from July 4-11 and did a lot of the things you did. But we found the bakery in Cane Garden Bay - it's basically someone's home which might be why you missed it! Glad you had a great trip!

7. Re: Trip report - July 3 - 10, 2009. Amazing place

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Tortola