We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report may 26 - may 29

Level Contributor
21 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report may 26 - may 29

My daughter & I took the ferry from St. Thomas to Tortola, West End. Picked up an open air taxi to Road Town. Driver was very informative & kept us entertained the whole way.

Checked in at Marias by the Sea & did a quick swing through town stopping at Bobbys for groceries. Went to Pussers for dinner. Had a bit of a problem w/the service...we didn't get what we ordered & the wait staff not overly helpful initially but eventually manager straightened out. VERY good angus burger there!

First day took ferry to Virgin Gorda & the Baths. Too bad weather wasn't the best, choppy seas, occasional downpours, because the place is very interesting, even for experienced snorkelers. We had fun snorkeling in & out of the boulders. My daughter took the caves trail to devils bay. Says it is not for people w/claustrophobia but a pretty cool trail.

Weather turned nasty for ferry back, choppy seas, downpours so we were soaked by the time we got to Marias. I asked if they had a laundry service which they said they did. When I brought our drenched clothes down to the desk, they said it was too late. Never bothered to tell me what the time limits were when I originally asked.

Then we had no hot water. Had to send up someone to "turn on" the hot water.

Next day, we hired Atlantis Adventure for the day. Best decision we made. They picked us up, took us out for hours in their boat and gave us personalized service at every stop. Captain Roy went into the water w/us, took us into caves, pointed out things we would have missed and dived down w/our cameras to get pictures. I cannot speak highly enough of them.

We went to many islands, Peter, Cooper, Norman....and about 4 more. Each place, Roy found a great place for us to snorkel even though the seas were quite rough that day. We can handle rough and currents if we have something worth seeing. He also took us to Willie T's for lunch...a fun experience. Will be using them again in the future.

Got back to hotel to....no hot water. This time I was standing outside the room when the maintenance man arrived...apparently they turn off the hot water intentionally, then only turn it back on when you complain.

HEAVY rain on the day we left. Insane taxi driver speeded over mountains, around curves, hydroplaning all over the place. We really thought we were going to die!

Maria's information says they charge for local calls and that starts when the phone rings 4 times. I made sure I hung up after 3 rings. Checking out, I had been charged for every call, whether the call went through or I hung up after less than 4 rings. When I complained at the desk, they shrugged and basically said, too bad. Won't stay there again.

We arrived at the airport at 10 am at a 6 pm flight, hoping we could get LIAT to store our luggage. They refused to let us check the luggage early and would even talk to us about storing it for us so we could go tour Beef Island and do some shopping. So we were stuck in the airport for OVER 7 hours.

In addition, their plane was very late & they refused to tell us what was going on or when the plane might arrive. Irritating because we had people waiting for us in Puerto Rico and I couldn't let them know when we were going to arrive.

My daughter's checked luggage got picked for review. Everything was fine but they refused to let us take a non aerosol container of OFF on board...said it was flammable. Golly? and all the liquor they were letting people carry isn't? Guy refused to call a supervisor to let us get a decent explanation.

Then, after we cleared customs, discovered the drink machines were all empty. Asked if we could bring something in? No. Well, could we pay an employee to get us a water from the vendor around the corner? No. Could they get someone to fill it up? No.

We COULD go to the vendor, buy a water, pour it out, bring in the empty bottle and fill it at the water fountain. Gee, thanks for being helpful.

LIAT finally arrived 45 minutes late w/no explanation. I was seated in one exit seat, my daughter the other. The plane was in such poor condition, we could both put out hands out a "split" in the side of the airplane where I could reach outside. Will NEVER, EVER fly this "airline" again.

Despite Maria's and LIAT, I found the snorkeling the very best in the islands. I would be back in a heartbeat. To me, it ranks close to some of the beautiful reefs of Grand Cayman. Next time, we hope not only to do Peter, Cooper, Norman, etc again but all Anageda, and some of the northern places.

Level Contributor
2,029 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report may 26 - may 29

Thanks for your trip report, even with some hassles - can't imagine being stuck at EIS for 7 hrs (:<( Nonetheless, glad to hear you enjoyed the islands.

Since you enjoy snorkeling a great deal, consider staying on VG next time. I'm pretty well convinced that Mahoe Bay on VG is one of the best snorkeling reefs in the BVI, and that same reef extends to Nail Bay and down to Savannah.

You already know about the Baths, definitely worth snorkeling again. The water was perfectly calm at the Baths when we stayed at Guavaberry a couple of yrs ago. This is the snorkel from Guavaberry Spring Bay Beach to the Baths:

Great Dog, just off BVI is one of the best snorkeling sites in the BVI, and the entire Caribbean, in my opinion. Dive BVI http://www.divebvi.com/ accommodates snorkelers on their scuba trips. This album is of a day sail trip to Great Dog and the Baths we took a few yrs ago from Peter Island:

I’m a big fan of snorkeling Loblolly at Anegada, depending on the waves. It is another site where you can snorkel in shallow water and see a lot. Dive BVI does a trip there twice a week in season that we recommend very highly.

These photos are from a 3 night stay on Anegada.

All the best, alashas http://www.youtube.com/user/honeymoon2

Level Contributor
21 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report may 26 - may 29

Thank you.

Yep, we have a whole list for next time. Was a bit too choppy for the Indians so would like to see them. The caves were amazing & I could spend more time there. Want to see the Dogs, spend more time at the Baths and do Loblolly.

Our next USVI/BVI time will be all St. John and Tortola/outlying islands.

We were there for full moon but weather was nasty. Want to make the one at Trellis Bay...the other a bit too rowdy for me. Looks like such fun.

Stuck at EIS for 7 hours IS an experience. Thank goodness we had plenty of paperbacks! Next time I'll pay the difference for American Eagle!

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report may 26 - may 29

Next time use Cape Air

North Carolina USA
Level Contributor
1,397 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report may 26 - may 29

So hands down VG over Tortola if snorkeling is number one priority??

5. Re: Trip Report may 26 - may 29

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2011, 06:42
Get answers to your questions about Tortola
Recent Conversations
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question