We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We've chosen Tortola for our 25th. Now what?

Northern California
Destination Expert
for Lodi
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
We've chosen Tortola for our 25th. Now what?

We've traveled the world over the last 25 years of marriage and have decided to hang out on Tortola in September (yes I know it's hurricane season) for our anniversary week!

We've always loved private beaches and amazing food along with incredible views,after searching the caribbean over, my research kept bringing me back to Tortola.

So, if you had 3 restaurants you'd say we can't miss along with 3 beaches what would they be?

I've booked us a stay at a home overlooking the North shore and have a 4WD Jeep available.

Finally, whats the one surprise your island holds for us?

See you in September!

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
6,882 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: We've chosen Tortola for our 25th. Now what?

Before i forget, also use TTOL for more great feedback (traveltalkonline.com)

Beaches -

Smuggler's Cove for beauty, snorkeling, and Patricia's grill.

Josiah's and Brewer's are also recommended and are closer to you. Tamarind is recommended for lunch.

Cane Garden Bay for happy hours (may not be many in Sept), Myett's for a dinner, Stanley's for a cheeseburger.

Long Bay Beef Island for quiet locals beach.

Long Bay Tortola for walking beach.

Restaurants -

Sebastian's for dinner and sunset.

Bananakeet for happy hour, and sunset dinner.

Marina deli next to Spaghetti Junction in Road Town for great sub.

Jolly Roger for pizza, jerked prime rib is OK.

Boston
Level Contributor
5,973 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: We've chosen Tortola for our 25th. Now what?

If you want really good food, I would go to St Croix. It has the best food in the VI hands down and has a lot of nice beaches as well. I love Tortola and just returned from there, but if food is really important, STX is the place to go. Having said that, the restaurants that are considered the best are: The Dove in Roadtown, the Sugar Mill, Little Apple Bay and Brandywine at Brandywine Bay. I have only eaten at the Sugar Mill which was excellent.

Restaurants that we liked (and I am very picky about food) are: Capriccio Di Mare in Roadtown, Coco Plums on Zion Hill, Eclipse in Fat Hogs Bay, Spaghetti Junction in Roadtown (Capriccio is better and cheaper), Quito's in Cane Garden Bay, The Elm Beach BBQ in Cane Garden Bay (our very favorite). I used to like Le Cabonon but there is a new restaurant there.

One of my favorite places on the island is de Loose Mongoose in Trellis Bay. I have never eaten dinner there though. Some of these may be closed during September.

For beaches, make sure you go to White Bay on Jost Van Dyke for a day (Soggy Dollar Bar). Cane Garden Bay is a beautiful beach and will not be crowded when you are there. Long Bay on Beef Island and Smugglers are nice beaches. I like to go to Marina Cay as well to spend a day.

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
6,882 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: We've chosen Tortola for our 25th. Now what?

Tortols is a special place for us, but not for dining or even beautiful beaches. Yes Brandywine and Sebastian's and the Dove are well-regarded there. We had reservations at Sugar Mill and it felt too pretentious for us so we walked to Sebastian's for a wonderful dinner. And Smuggler's is beautiful. But we look to other destinations in the Caribbean for beautiful beaches and waters and great food. The VI are a handy destination, you might say, and the BVI are a bit less busy. St Croix sounds to be nice too and we will visit her one day.

For Tortola and I would recommend CGB for happy hours but not a great dinner. Quito's, Elms, Rymer's, Big Banana, and Myett's all offer decent food, but not something I would highly recommend. And the beach is just OK. We spent a week there and Stanley's is highly regarded by us and fellow TTOLers as having the best burger. As saffie said White Bay on Jost is nice and is a lively spot during the day.

You definitely need to explore yourself to see what you like. Take Trellis Bay for example -some folks love it, for us it was a waste of a long drive. Everyone is different.

Edited: 10 May 2011, 02:37
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
56 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: We've chosen Tortola for our 25th. Now what?

I spent a week on Tortola near Little Apple bay last summer. We enjoyed the Jolly Roger for food and weekend evening entertainment (live band). I never had great food on Tortola, but we cooked at the villa quite a bit. September is really slow season, so be prepared for lots of places to be closed or dead. The best beaches IMO are Smugglers and Long Bay. I thought Cane Garden Bay beach was dumpy (I know it has a history of being nice, but I didn't see it). The best beach in the BVI is White Bay, JVD or for deserted perfection: Sandy Cay / Sandy Spit. Rent a boat and just go! We loved the powerboat we rented from King in Nanny Cay.

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
6,882 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: We've chosen Tortola for our 25th. Now what?

CGB is home to several establishments and is very busy but I wouldn't call it "dumpy". After a wild night at the Elms and Quito's you'll see trash left by tourists. There is excellent cuisine to be found on Tortola, but it is not like St Martin and San Juan.

Taking a day sail or two is a great way to experience the other islands - For example several hit Norman and Cooper one day and Jost and Sandy Spit another.

In my opinion Smuggler's is much nicer than White Bay. WB has whiter sand and is a nice picture, but t is also very busy. Love One Love though!

North Carolina USA
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: We've chosen Tortola for our 25th. Now what?

Thanks for Posting, we also are going to the Virgin Islands in September for our 25th anniversary, we are staying 5 nights in Tortola, 5 nights in St John and 5 night sin Virgin Gorda. This post will be helpful for our Tortola stay.

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
6,882 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: We've chosen Tortola for our 25th. Now what?

We split 2 weeks between Tortola and STT and it was a nice ontrast.

Tortola
Level Contributor
14 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: We've chosen Tortola for our 25th. Now what?

I agree re food in Tortola compared to the USVi but in my opinion you can't beat BVI for its more laid back less touristy feel.

I agree with Long Bay Beef Island, also Well Bay just the other side of the airport is a little gem. I also love Little Bay next to Lambert.

Foodwise Brandywine has recently been revamoed and is really very good. We also love Red Rock at Penns Landing Marina in East End - always amazing specials. Tamarind is also good. Don't know the west so well but like the Jolly Roger and Frenchman's is supposedly very good.

9. Re: We've chosen Tortola for our 25th. Now what?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2012, 23:19