We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkel & Dive recommendations Tortola

North Carolina USA
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkel & Dive recommendations Tortola

We will be in Tortola for 5 nights in September. We will dive one day only and snorkel the other four. Need recommendations for both please.

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
6,524 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkel & Dive recommendations Tortola

Dive BVI for diving, and either Patouche or Kuralu for snorkel. These and others advertise on TTOL (traveltalkonline.com).

Or bvi-escape.com

North Carolina USA
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkel & Dive recommendations Tortola

Well, here is another question. We are splitting 15 nights (5 each) between St John, Virgin Gorda and Tortola. I dive and my Husband does not, I want to do ONE combination trip of Dive/Snorkel on each Island. The other nine days, just snorkel off the shore and hang out. 3 days are spent traveling between islands. I have contacted a dive shop in St John and then I read this post here which lists the same dive/snorkel spots. So Now I need to know where is the top place to go from each location before I make reservations with each? I think I want to Dive the Rhone, and snorkel the Indians and the caves. Also, am I limiting my self by not planning other boat trips?? We love to relax on a beach and snorkel at our leisure and were hoping that these Islands were the perfect place for that kind of experience. We have been to St John one day on a cruise ship and thought it was beautiful, so that is why we decided to do a longer trip for our 25th wedding anniversary.

brooklyn, ny
Level Contributor
438 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkel & Dive recommendations Tortola

We love to do daysails with Gary on the Kuralu (www.kuralu.com) and he can take you to a snorkeling spot and then to a beach to relax and get a cocktail. YOu can also sun on board en route to your destinations. We love to sail when we're in Tortola.

Australia
Level Contributor
361 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkel & Dive recommendations Tortola

Whatever you decide to do, please be aware that September is the slowest month here. I am assuming you are going to book spots on shared charters. You might not get on the trips you want simply because there won't be enough people signed up for the operator to send the boat out on a particular day or to the particular spot. In September/October most reservations from the week will be consolidated into 1, maybe 2 trips, so be ready to compromise on date and location. By all means I want you to be excited and make your bookings, it will be helpful, however to adjust your expectations, unless you are ready to hire the entire boats.

Most dive boats welcome snorkelers onboard and about 50% of the dive sites are suitable for snorkeling, so being on the same boat with your husband shouldn't be a problem. I would book Norman Island and Rhone trip from Tortola as it would have been the shortest ride. Plus - if the trip you want doesn't go out, you can book again from Virgin Gorda.

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
6,524 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkel & Dive recommendations Tortola

Bravoro is highly recommended from Leverick Bay on VG as well. There were so many options for snorkeling and beach stops when we researched, it will come down to what is available while you are on each island. I found it was best to contact each company 1 - 2 weeks before arriving on island, you may not have that luxury for every island...

Great feedback here but be sure to inquire at TTOL as well since most BVI charters monitor the BVI forum there and also advertise there

another source -

http://www.angelinacat.com/DaySailing.htm

Edited: 15 June 2011, 19:39
North Carolina USA
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkel & Dive recommendations Tortola

I think we have decided to do the following Dive/Snorkel trip:

Dive/snorkel the Indian/ Norman Island area with Blue Water divers in Tortola on one day and then dive the Rhone on another. But now I am second guessing myself as I think we should skip the Rhone as my husband does not dive and find a trip operator that will take us to Jost for a day trip – Is that a better option for my Husband? Blue Water divers do not do the caves, maybe we should do that – ahh so many choices, I just can’t make up my mind.

North Carolina USA
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkel & Dive recommendations Tortola

One more thing I should mention, my husband gets seas sick easily so Day sailing is something I love but he does not .

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
6,524 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkel & Dive recommendations Tortola

Yes, If Kuralu (or Patouche) is making the Jost/SandyCay run take that. Better yet take a ferry or water taxi to Jost for an afternoon there for Foxy's and One Love & Soggy $. Patouche also offers a water taxi for a price.

That would be a day your husband can enjoy. You can also snorkel White Bay if you need to.

brooklyn, ny
Level Contributor
438 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snorkel & Dive recommendations Tortola

my husband also gets sea sick very easily. spend an entire day vomiting over board on a fishing boat in tortola with his brother two years ago. but he is fine sailing in the bvi's - the water is pretty calm and the islands close together so he should give it a try. and if he's not into diving, take a daysail with Gary on Kuralu and you can get out and snorkel the caves/indians and he can have a rum punch on the boat - Gary makes a mean rum punch.

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Snorkel & Dive recommendations Tortola

Blue water divers at Nanny Cay, Tortola. Dive the RMS Rhone, its a great dive site!