We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Change plane in San Juan to Tortola

Toronto, Canada
6 posts
Save Topic
Change plane in San Juan to Tortola

Hello!

I'm flying from Toronto to San Juan by US Airways, arrival time: 3:28pm. I am booking a separate ticket from San Juan to Tortola by American Airlines. I would need to go to the counter, check my bags and get my boarding pass. My question: Will I be able to make it for the 5:25pm flight or should I opt for the later flight at 8:20pm? Please advise.

Thank you!

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
6,929 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Change plane in San Juan to Tortola

It could depend on the day of week/time of year you are traveling but generally speaking two hours should be fine.

Hint 1: When you check in for your USAir Flight ask them if they can check your bags all the way through to Tortola (Airport code: EIS) - if so when you arrive in San Juan you can walk directly to your American Eagle Departure Gate to get your boarding pass.

Hint 2: You can go to the American Airlines website 24 hours prior to your scheduled flight and check-in and print your Boarding Pass on-line.

Toronto, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Change plane in San Juan to Tortola

Ok, I have just called US Airways and was told that there shouldn't be a problem checking my bags thru all the way to Tortola. But she's not sure if there's a checked bag fee with AA. Question: So am I safe with booking the 5:25pm flight?

Toronto, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Change plane in San Juan to Tortola

day of week/time of year: sorry forgot to mention it's a friday in August 2011

Boston
Level Contributor
6,037 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Change plane in San Juan to Tortola

American does charge for bags, but to find out exactly what the charge is you would need to go to the website. I am not sure how they would do that between airlines....good question.

As far as time, if you do not need to leave the secure area (which you should be able to do), it is enough time but if you have to go out and come back through security, then no.

Edited: 13 July 2011, 21:45
Australia
Level Contributor
361 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Change plane in San Juan to Tortola

I think the OP should be fine with bag fees. SJU-EIS is an international flight. Bag charges are due on US domestic flights. I have never paid a baggage fee on this route.

Toronto, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Change plane in San Juan to Tortola

Ok, to play safe I decided to call US Airways again ... this time I have a slightly different answer. She said that there is an interline agreement with AA but she's not sure if I need to go thru customs in SJU ... if yes, then the bags cannot be checked thru all the way ... I would have to pick up my bags and re-check them. Can anyone clarify about custom clearance from SJU to EIS???

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
6,929 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Change plane in San Juan to Tortola

OK - on the way down there is NO CUSTOMS in San Juan. Have your bags checked through to EIS - you won't see them until you arrive in Tortola - that's where you'll have to clear BVI immigration and customs. You will be able to walk directly from your USAIR arrival gate to the American Airlines (actually American Eagle) departure gate without leaving the secure area. Just check the flight monitors for your Departure Gate and follow the overhead signs.

FYI - assuming you are flying American Eagle connecting to USAir on your return, you'll clear immigration upon arrival in SJU, you'll then go downstairs to collect your checked luggage, clear customs and after you leave customs you'll recheck your bags for the USAir flight (again follow the signs).

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
6,929 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Change plane in San Juan to Tortola

One more point regarding baggage fees - If your baggage is checked through to EIS you'll be subject to whatever baggage fee policy is in place at USAir (go to their website for more info) - not American Airlines./American Eagle's policy.

In other words if USAir charges you a fee - you'll only pay once.

Edited: 13 July 2011, 23:42
Toronto, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Change plane in San Juan to Tortola

After much thought on the possibilty with flight delay and having my bags lost, I decide to opt for the 8:20pm flight ... and I will not check my bag all the way thru. I will try my luck to see if AA can put me on standby list for the earlier flight *at no charge* ... Otherwise, I will just hang around and wait for my scheduled flight.

Thank you everyone for your replies ... I really appreciate it.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,037 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Change plane in San Juan to Tortola

If you do that, I would recommend that after you check in for your AA flight that you stay outside the secure area and get your food as it is not great inside.

Also, going on standby will not get your luggage to you because you will have already checked in for the 8:20 flight and they will take your luggage when you do.