We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise Day Car Rental - ITGO vs Tola

Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
803 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Cruise Day Car Rental - ITGO vs Tola

Hi folks!

We're stopping for a day on our cruise in Tortola and will be renting a car to go beaching and sightseeing. It seems that ITGO and Tola would be our choices in order to walk to them from the cruise dock in Road Town.

Any reason why I would select one of them over the other besides price? Tola is about $14 cheaper.

For just the one day I am looking at the cheapest class of car. I'm figuring as long as I avoid offroad situations and its not raining I should be OK. Thoughts?

Thanks all!

-BVI Drivin' Dragon

Columbus...
Level Contributor
170 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruise Day Car Rental - ITGO vs Tola

Small jeep with four wheel drive is best. Most rent for around fifty dollars a day. Be sure and get insurance...driving on Tortola is a great experience. Lots of hills, curves and blind spots. The views are fantastic! North side of island east to west is a great drive.

Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
641 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruise Day Car Rental - ITGO vs Tola

Can't wait! Looking forward to spending a full day in Tortola, we've only been there briefly whist on our way to Jost Van Dyke for a few days.

Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
641 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruise Day Car Rental - ITGO vs Tola

Is a jeep preferred in order to get to Smugglers?

Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
803 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruise Day Car Rental - ITGO vs Tola

The small jeep-ish vehicles seem to be able double the charge for a compact - around $75 for the day. More than I'd want to spend.

In St John for example people say you must always have a Jeep. I've done it twice there (day trips only) with a compact and did fine. Yes, some of the hills were challenging, but I made it. I do know that if it rains then the slippery roads would not be doable in a non-Jeep.

What are the thoughts here. While 4x4 is preferrable, is it mandatory to go to Smuggler's? Our budget is a key motivator here. If I can't do it for around the same or less than a cab then I would just cab.

Thanks very much!!!

-Pedal Pushin' Dragon

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cruise Day Car Rental - ITGO vs Tola

Cabs are very expensive. Even a $75 rental will work out cheaper than a cab. I prefer 4x4 and a slightly larger vehicle as some of the locals drive like lunatics, especially the safari taxis.

6. Re: Cruise Day Car Rental - ITGO vs Tola

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 November 2012, 10:21