We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from Virgin Gorda

Door County WI
Level Contributor
248 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip from Virgin Gorda

We are staying in Virgin Gorda and will be meeting two other couples (who are staying in St Johns) in Tortola, for a day trip. We all have kids between the ages of 12 and 15, so in total there will be 12 of us. All of us will be taking a public ferry to Tortola, which port should we meet at? Should we rent a vehicle and where? What are the must see and do's? Since St John’s does not have a lot of restaurants on the beach, I thought a restaurant on the beach would be fun for lunch. What beach restaurant would you suggest?

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
6,751 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip from Virgin Gorda

It will be easiest to meet up in Road Town.

With 12 people you'll need to rent at least two vans or take two "van taxis" to get around. It will probably be easier to take taxis if you are just going to be on island for the day.

Use the "things to do" link on the left side of this page for some ideas.

Consider going to Cain Garden Bay for your lunch stop - very pretty beach with several different restaurants/beach bars to choose from.

Edited: 02 January 2012, 20:38
North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
6,530 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip from Virgin Gorda

I would also contact www.scatosbusntaxi.com and compare their price to taking 2 taxis. Scatos was a cheaper option for another group. If you want to rent you'll need 3 Jeeps at around $45 - 50/day each (or 2 vans) - doable, you'll just need to prearrange that so they're delivered to the ferry dock.

Your friends could ferry to West End easiest but you'll probably be coming into Road Town. I would suggest heading for the west coast for lunch to admire the beautiful views along the hilltops on the way. For lunch if the Bananakeet is open it's not on the beach but it commands a very nice view from a cliff on Windy Hill Road and the view of Apple, Carrot, and Long Bay is amazing. Also a great view of Jost and Sandy Spit. More popular for happy hours and dinner but they have an excellent Sunday brunch.

If Bananakeet doesn't fit your timing or needs you could head down the hill to CGB and try Myett's, right on the beach and they have decent food, fun spot in the evenings. I like Stanley's next door because they have an excellent burger and mahi sandwich.

Another option is Sebastian's in Apple Bay, they're at the beach and have good dishes also with local flavors.

And another great spot for stopping is not a beach spot but at the waters edge in West End (Sopers Hole) at the Jolly Roger Inn. They have a great pizza and rum punches. Jolly Roger is a 2 minute drive from the ferry terminal in West End.

So the views are the main attraction, the nice beaches are more secluded (Smuggler's Cove for example), there are some nice smaller shops in Road Town, and there are also some great restaurants on the waterfront in RT. Just depends on where you ferry into and what you want to see.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip from Virgin Gorda

hereIam,

A lot of good suggestions listed above for you. You are right, Tortola has a # of restaurants on or near the beach, esp, at Cane Garden Bay. You haven't mentioned what your group plans to do, but if you are thinking of swimming/snorkeling, in our experience, the beaches on either side of CGB, Smugglers and Brewers, have better snorkeling. Smugglers is one of the most attractive beaches we've ever been on, but you will be limited to several small beach vendors for food and drinks. Nicoles is a restaurant on Brewer's Bay with delicious sandwiches, rest room, etc.

Virgin Gorda is one of our favorite islands, where are you staying?

Have a great trip, alashas http://www.youtube.com/user/honeymoon2

Door County WI
Level Contributor
248 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip from Virgin Gorda

We rented a house (saba winds) on Virgin Gorda. We have no plans or needs, just wanted to make sure we don't miss any "must sees" on our day trip. I think a really good beach restaurant would be fun.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip from Virgin Gorda

Saba Wind is a lovely villa at Leverick Bay. You'll get some of the best breezes on VG, and have stunning views of North Sound. There is a lot of interesting things to do in the Leverick Bay area, but I'm sure you will also want to visit the rest of VG, especially the Baths and beaches on the other end of the island. If your children like to snorkel, then they may also want to consider taking a "discover scuba" dive course with the dive shop at the Lev Bay Marina, just a short walk from your villa.

If you haven't seen this website, then you might appreciate the 7 virtual tours of many of the rooms at Saba Wind:

www.mclaughlinanderson.com/villawebpage.cfm…

And we think the Spa at Leverick Bay has some of the best massage therapists we have ever met.

Since you'll only be on Tortola for part of one day, I think the views from various parts of the island might be the one "must see" thing to do. Google a map of Tortola and look at this route:

Take the Waterfront Dr out of the Road Town Ferry Terminal. Once you get outside of RT, you'll have lovely views of Sir Francis Drake channel on your left. Take that all the way to West End, where there are a lot of interesting shops at Soper's Hole, as well as beautiful views of that harbour, and the houses on the hills above WE are some of the oldest on the island. You can also drive to Frenchman's Cay, where there are more terrific terrific views, including of the USVI.

You can take that road all the way to the point, where you will turn right. That road will take you along the beaches and hamlets of the north side of the island, including Gun Creek, Smuggler's Cove, Long Bay, Cappon's Bay, Little Apple Bay, Carrot Bay, Cane Garden Bay, and then Brewer's Bay. Along that road, you will also have some great views of Jost Van Dyke. CGB has a # of places to visit and Myett's might be a good place to enjoy lunch near the beach.

At Windy Hill, between Carrot and CGB, is an intersection that will take you up to Ridge Road. You can also get to Ridge Rd from CGB and from Brewer's. This 7 mile road along the top of Tortola, will take you through hillside communities and will afford some of the most dramatic views of any place in the Caribbean. The locals call it "up country" and it is one of the highest places in the Virgin Islands. From some places, you can see both the north and south shores of Tortola, and there are also some dramatic views of Road Town Harbour.

There will be several intersections where you can drive to Road Town, or, you can take Ridge Rd all the way to the East End, where you will intersect with Waterfront Drive, and you will take that back to Road Town.

Have a great trip, alashas http://www.youtube.com/user/honeymoon2friends

Door County WI
Level Contributor
248 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip from Virgin Gorda

Thanks for the good advice!

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip from Virgin Gorda

You are very welcome!

All the best, alashas http://www.youtube.com/user/honeymoon2

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
6,530 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip from Virgin Gorda

Yes alashas, the Belmont Road drive from West End to Long Bay (esp between WE and Smuggler's) is definitely the scenic route! My wife isn't as fond of that drive as I am, but I had a steering wheel to hold onto too!

Just want to warn the OP that it is a slow, bumpy ride and in some spots the road is not wide enough for 2 cars and if you're lucky enough to meet another vehicle someone has to back up to a wider spot. Just in case some in the group aren't up to this drive. If not just head back from WE/Soper's Hole the way you came (past Jerry's car rental until you see the gas station on the left) and take a left onto Zion Hill Road and take that over the hill to Cappons and Little Apple Bay. At the other end of Zion Hill take a left to go to Sebastian's (right there on the right) or on to Long Bay and Smuggler's. Or take a right to go to Bananakeet and beyond to CGB, you can see Bomba's Shack to the right from the corner.

We have yet to travel all of the roads alashas mentioned, last April was our first Belmont experience. But we look forward to learning both Tortola and VG better on future visits!

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip from Virgin Gorda

Thanks, cr, I meant to include the Zion Hill Rd as an option in my post, but I was already getting a little long. That is a very good way to get over to Cappons and Little Apple, and is probably an easier way for someone who is driving in that area for the first time. I am also thinking that your suggestion about Scatos might be a very good option for hereIamDoorCo to consider. It makes a lot of sense for the 12 of them to be able to travel together in 1 vehicle, and leave the driving to someone who is very knowledgeable about Tortola's roads and sights.

Take care, alashas http://www.youtube.com/user/honeymoon2friends

10. Re: Day trip from Virgin Gorda

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2013, 10:18