We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise ship to Smugglers Cove

staffs
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Cruise ship to Smugglers Cove

Hi, Can anyone tell me how far in a taxi is Smugglers Cove from the cruise ship port,or should we be better going to Cane Garden Bay?

Thank you

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,502 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruise ship to Smugglers Cove

Bottom line CGB is where everyone else goes and is fine if you're OK with crowds. There are several beach bar restaurants to choose from.

Smuggler's is a more natural beach with one girl (Patricia) serving excellent food from her little grill and cold Red Stripes and her famous Rum Dums. Good snorkeling off the beach, soft sand, great view of Jost, and the lounges are free. Nigel rents snorkel gear too. No restrooms, just portapotties and the ocean, that and the unpaved road keeps most of the crowds away!

You can tell I'm partial to Smuggler's. We spent a week in CGB our first visit there and we just stayed on our balcony while the cruise passengers were there. Most didn't spend a dime but CGB is very easy to get to as compared to Smuggler's, and there are more eat and drink options there.

You can also go to Brewers Bay and there is a little place there serving food and drinks. But the water is rougher there, ok for beaching but not for snorkeling or swimming really. Some go there for surfing.

Taxi to Smuggler's = $64 round trip ($32pp for 2, $24pp for 3 or more).

Taxi to CGB = $48 roundtrip ($24pp for 2, $16pp for 3 or more).

Here are some cruisecritic links that may be useful if you read through them -

boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php…

boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php…

Edited: 05 January 2012, 03:21
North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,502 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruise ship to Smugglers Cove

Forgot to mention the Long Bay Resort offers day passes for their beach and pool I believe, and the beach there is nice too - very long stretch you see in postcards. Check your excursions from the ship or google the resort for a contact. You pass the resort on the way to Smuggler's.

Level Contributor
311 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruise ship to Smugglers Cove

crmoores - I think your information is incorrect. Brewers is generally good for snorkelling and swimming.

trudi@bestofbvi.com

staffs
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruise ship to Smugglers Cove

Thanks for all replies,think Smugglers sounds just what were looking for!

Liverpool
Level Contributor
59 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cruise ship to Smugglers Cove

I have just returned home after a month in Tortola and Smugglers is, as others say the best.

If you do go to Smugglers ,You Must try Patricias Ribs. By far and away the best in Tortola .TIP: Order your food as soon as you get there as it does take a while to come( Say Hi to Patricia From Brian in Liverpool)

Modesto, California
Level Contributor
11 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cruise ship to Smugglers Cove

So if I understand correctly, the price for a taxi from the cruise ship to Smuggler's Cove is $24pp one way if we have 3 or more people? Also, what is the travel time, one way. We are interested in snorkeling...any good? Thanks

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,502 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cruise ship to Smugglers Cove

The taxi rate is $24pp ROUNDTRIP for 3 or more.

We're always stopping at places along the way when we're heading from the West End to RT so I can't tell you the drive time, guessing 30 - 45 minutes worst-case...

Modesto, California
Level Contributor
11 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cruise ship to Smugglers Cove

Thanks for the correction. We look forward to going. Thanks again.

9. Re: Cruise ship to Smugglers Cove

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2013, 10:20
Get answers to your questions about Tortola