We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In a quandary, Jost Van Dyke or a sailing for a day?

Florida
Level Contributor
102 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
In a quandary, Jost Van Dyke or a sailing for a day?

We will be staying in Tortola in June. One of our full days we will be exploring Tortola of course, but for the other full day we can't decide if we want to spend the day on Jost Van Dyke or if we should take a sailing trip. Looking at the itineraries of a lot of the day sails I see we have already done the Baths and some of the snorkel sites when we stayed in St. Thomas a few years ago. Right now, JYD is looking the better option unless someone can recommend a really unique day sail? For sure we would like some beach and bar time as opposed to spending a lot of time in the water snorkeling. We definitely want to squeeze JYD in no matter what whether that be by day sail or ferry. Variety is best.

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
6,774 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In a quandary, Jost Van Dyke or a sailing for a day?

We've taken a water taxi to Jost and we looked at the Kuralu (www.kuralu.com) sail last visit which does a snorkel stop, a stop at Sandy Spit, and then hits JVD for a good bit of time and you have lunch on the boat while on the beach. Looks like a great day and the reviews are all excellent but we haven't done it yet. Joe at Patouche may also do the west side but I can't remember. As you say there are some great snorkel saild to Norman, VG, and Cooper.

We would spend a couple hours at Foxy's (if he's there) and 2 hrs in White Bay and that would be enough for us. So a 2 hour stop in White Bay would be more appealing to us than a day trip to Jost

But it's all what you want. Have you looked at the Kuralu and the reviews yet?

Edited: 08 May 2012, 19:55
Florida
Level Contributor
102 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In a quandary, Jost Van Dyke or a sailing for a day?

Thanks for the advice, I emailed Kuralu, the private powerboat might be what we were looking for.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
31 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: In a quandary, Jost Van Dyke or a sailing for a day?

We've been to Tortola many times and have never sailed/ferried to Anegada. Might want to look into that for something new - look up some info on Anegada - it's fascinating! It's a coral island (rare) with flamingos, bone fishing, lobster feasts, etc.! I believe you can take a ferry (about 1.5 hour ride) early in the morning out of Road Town and return late in the afternoon! I'll post after I do it in June!

British Virgin...
Level Contributor
737 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: In a quandary, Jost Van Dyke or a sailing for a day?

If it were me, I'd go for one of the airplane day charters such as FlyBVI.

http://www.bviaircharters.com/Anegada

You'll get there more quickly, have more time to enjoy the island and not have to deal with ferry schedules.

Boston
Level Contributor
5,891 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: In a quandary, Jost Van Dyke or a sailing for a day?

I cannot imagine being in Tortola for a while and not spending time at White Bay and for me the Soggy Dollar Bar. I can happily spend the day in the hammock with my book and a painkiller. Personally, during the day I don't think there is anything going on at Foxy's. We have don.e both the water taxi and the ferry. Both work well. A day trip on a sailboat with a long stop at White Bay might fit the bill nicely

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
6,774 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: In a quandary, Jost Van Dyke or a sailing for a day?

Agreed, the Kuralu is an excellent way to enjoy White Bay and Sandy Spit to boot! Love Seddy's and Ivan's, and Soggy $ when not crazy.

I would look at a day trip to Anageda only if we had time, last visit we planned to fly there but just didn't find the time. We spent too much time enjoying Tortola, mainly Smuggler's and Patricia's, too bad those days are gone!

Edited: 13 May 2012, 04:18
North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
6,774 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: In a quandary, Jost Van Dyke or a sailing for a day?

Actually saffie we've enjoyed Foxy's performances during the day when it is less busy. When WB is just too crazy to enjoy we head to Great Harbor and each time Foxy was there so we were lucky. Last time there were just 2 other couples there and we all enjoyed a more personal show! Most other spots will be closed for slow season but Foxy should be there if there aren't any events elsewhere he's involved with.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
117 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: In a quandary, Jost Van Dyke or a sailing for a day?

"For sure we would like some beach and bar time as opposed to spending a lot of time in the water snorkeling."

I think you answered your own question.

By design, Day Sails are oriented toward snorkeling and unless its a private sail, you can't expect the Capt to veer off that course too much.

Hop the earliest ferry you can, get your touche to White Bay and settle in for some serious limin'. It is truely a consummate beach and beach bar experience.

9. Re: In a quandary, Jost Van Dyke or a sailing for a day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 01:16