We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming with the dolphins on Tortola

Cleveland, Ohio
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Swimming with the dolphins on Tortola

My family was given a gift of a Caribbean (on Royal Caribbean) cruise and my 10 year olf daughter wants to swim with the dolphins on Tortola (we also have a 4 year old). Can anyone tell me if this is a good idea? IF not, any suggestions? We are also going to the Bahamas and St. Maarten (but other than Atlantis, don't see any dolphin encounters/swims). Please help!

Boston
Level Contributor
6,321 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swimming with the dolphins on Tortola

If you type dolphin in the search box above, you will be able to read many threads on this subject.

Personally, I do not advise it. There are places in the Bahamas that you can swim with wild dolphins -if they choose to swim with you - but you cannot touch them or anything.

Cleveland, Ohio
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Swimming with the dolphins on Tortola

Saffie11 - Thank you for your reply. Why don't you recommend the dolphin encounter in Tortola? Is there something in particular you didn't like?

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
7,054 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swimming with the dolphins on Tortola

Most contributors on this forum and other travel forums are opposed to the various "Dolphin Encounters Programs" mainly because they feel it's inhumane to "cage wild animals" for the sole purpose of providing entertainment. These programs keep the dolphins penned up in small tanks for their entire lives (and they don't survive in captivity as long as they do in the wild). It's much different than seeing dolphins swimming in the wild.

If you do a google search about "swimming with the dolphins" you'll find hundreds of websites with commentaries, both pro and con. Read both sides of the issue and decide for yourself whether or not it's appropriate for you and your family.

Cleveland, Ohio
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Swimming with the dolphins on Tortola

Ok thank you. I am not against it at all. I thought maybe there was some other reason that you didn't like it. Thanks for your post.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,321 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swimming with the dolphins on Tortola

CaribSurfer sums it up pretty nicely. The dolphins in Tortola are in a small dirty tank which is probably filled with sunscreen. It is nothing more than a photo op for people IMO.

Australia
Level Contributor
361 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swimming with the dolphins on Tortola

A photo op for very selfish people....

7. Re: Swimming with the dolphins on Tortola

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 10:41
Get answers to your questions about Tortola
Recent Conversations