We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need a little advice

mi
Level Contributor
26 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Need a little advice

This January, we will be in Tortola for one day. We are arriving there on a cruise ship.

So my question is..what excursion would really be a great experience for my husband and I. We were told to go to Virgin Gorda and the Baths but is that the highlight of the island? ALso if anyone can help, can you suggest a company does a terrific shore excursion to Virgin Gorda?

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need a little advice

Yes, the Baths on VG are widely considered to be the most "can't miss" site in the BVI. I'm sure your cruise ship will have an excursion to the Baths and it's probably the simplest way to tour them. However, the Baths will probably be fairly crowded on the day of your cruise ship's excursion. If you're comfortable driving a rental car on the left side of the road, one option is to rent a car for the day from a company such as Mahogany Car Rental, tour the island, possibly hiking Gorda Peak toward the opposite end of the VG from the Baths, and then tour the Baths 3 hrs or so after the cruise ship passengers have toured them when they will not be as crowded - most of the passengers will be hanging out on the beaches on either side of the Baths.

Have a great trip, alashas http://www.youtube.com/user/honeymoon2

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
6,930 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need a little advice

What day you plan depends on the time you have in port, some options are much easier than others because of transportation times involved.

I agree with alashas, the Baths are a recommended experience and unique to the BVI. Alashas is an expert on VG and we have just visited and we enjoy going to the Baths and hitting the Mineshaft cafe for lunch, their signature drink the Cave In (It's all in the Juice!), and their spectacular panoramic view. The typical way to get to VG is to ferry over from near the cruise dock and then taxi from Spanishtown to the top of the baths. Another option - if you are in port long enough - is to take the Patouche catamaran (patouche.com) directly to the Baths and avoid the ferry and the taxi. Patouche is very highly recommended, and you can contact Joe through their e-mail address to confirm your schedule works. He has options that work for cruisers and he has a rep stationed at the cruise dock in Road Town.

Other than the Baths, we always look forward to the beaches of Tortola, and there are a variety depending on what experience you want. Cane Garden Bay is the most popular because of the many beach bars and water activities (and therefore the busiest), and there are a couple that are very secluded and deserted like Long Bay, Beef Island and Smuggler's Cove. And there are some in between like Brewer's Bay and Long Bay (Tortola). The latter is home to the Long Bay Resort which offers day passes for their pool and lunch (all beaches are free, of course). And of course a tour of Tortola is very nice as she is a beautiful island with some ruins and historic places to see.

And finally many ppl choose to go to Jost Van Dyke and enjoy the beach bars spread along White Bay (Soggy $ Bar, Seddy's One Love, Ivan's Stress Free Bar, Gertrude's. etc) and Foxy's place in Great Harbor. If you like a day enjoying that kind of experience Josts is the best bet and you have a few options of getting there - 25 min taxi to West End and ferry to Great Harbor, private excursion through BVI360.com or a day sail like Kuralu, and perhaps a water taxi out of CGB if available. Josts is a bit harder to get to because of the time it takes but many ppl like it there for the beach bars.

Take a look at a BVI map on line to see where the different islands are compared to Road Town and you can get a feel for the distances. Have a great day in the BVI!

Edited: 16 November 2012, 17:34
mi
Level Contributor
26 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need a little advice

I can not thank you enough for being so gracious and answering my post. It was extremely helpful.

I am almost to the point of foregoing VG and the Baths and doing Norman Island and the surrounding areas. I hope that i am not making a mistake but I really am interested in taking in the beauty of BVI and not just VG and the Baths.

I have looked at Patouche, Kuralu and Aristocat as excuirsions for day sails. I think they all come highly recommended.

Please let me know if I am on the right track and if there is anything else that you can offer. It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for everything.

mi
Level Contributor
26 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need a little advice

can not thank you enough for being so gracious and answering my post. It was extremely helpful.

I am almost to the point of foregoing VG and the Baths and doing Norman Island and the surrounding areas. I hope that i am not making a mistake but I really am interested in taking in the beauty of BVI and not just VG and the Baths.

I have looked at Patouche, Kuralu and Aristocat as excuirsions for day sails. I think they all come highly recommended.

Please let me know if I am on the right track and if there is anything else that you can offer. It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for everything.

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
6,930 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need a little advice

You are looking at the best of the best! If you are in port long enough to take advantage of one of these excellent day sails I cannot imagine a better day in the BVI, especially if you snorkel or dive. But even without that, being on the water and seeing different islands simply canot be beat for a one-day visit. Cooper for lunch (or the Willie T or Pirate's Bight), and you may even get a chance to include a stop at the Baths.

My compliments - you've done your homework!!!

mi
Level Contributor
26 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need a little advice

Yes I have done my homework! Thanks for the compliment.

So, because of your comments, I think I have just cemented in the plan for Tortola. Thanks again for all of your help.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need a little advice

zoo-ma-goo,

We did a day sail with Patouche to the Baths and Great Dog when we stayed on Peter Island, and it was a wonderful trip. Here is the photo album of that day, beginning with the Baths snorkel:

http://honeymoon2.smugmug.com/Underwater/BVI-Peter-Island-Snorkel-Trip/2449006_cJdPNZ#!i=128431552&k=NPvi6

On our day sail, we swam into the Baths from the boat, and avoided entirely the hike down to the Baths from the parking lot, etc., so it is actually a quicker way to see the Baths than the catching a cab from the ferry dock, etc. Then the boat sailed around the Baths to Devil's Bay, and we swam out to the boat from Devil's Bay Beach.

My hunch is that the day sails will probably do that, and then go to one or two other snorkel spots before returning to Road Town, so it might be possible to see more than just the Baths while you are in port. I suggest contacting all 3 and explore their itineraries the day you are in port. Note that sometimes internet/emails can be slow in the BVI, especially if any of the 3 boats are at sea. They probably max at 20 or so passengers, so I suggest making a reservation with one of them.

all the best, alashas http://www.youtube.com/user/honeymoon2friends

Fort Lauderdale...
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Need a little advice

If you are looking for a day trip on a power boat, look up Good Day charters. We took a trip to the baths and Tortola with them and it was a day to remember! if your looking for a day sail you are on the right track with those listed. you will love the baths, truly amazing!!

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
6,930 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need a little advice

You can also contact these operators very quickly through TTOL as they are sponsors on the BVI forum and monitor the threads there. Joe (at Patouche) responds regularly with questions from folks there. Alashas is correct in that it can sometimes be hard to get through to ppl in the Caribbean for a variety of reasons. Not to take away from this forum as it is excellent, TTOl is just another excellent source for BVI information in particular.

TTOL = traveltalkonline.com

I agree that contacting each with your specific port times and date and interests to find out what they offer is a good idea. Although be aware that many do not lock in their itinerary until they find out what interests the first group of ppl have that are booking that day. So being early can have benefits.

mi
Level Contributor
26 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need a little advice

Thanks so much for the advice. I did register on the site.