We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoiding cruise crowds

boston
Level Contributor
533 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Avoiding cruise crowds

We are in Tortola for one day in a couple of weeks. Vacationing w elderly parents (3 of them - sort of a last hurrah). Ideally we would rent a car and explore all day but am concerned that its too much for the old folks and we 5 won't be comfy in a jeep. And I'm not sure plopping my MOL on a beach with a thousand cruisers will be appealing to her. Help??

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avoiding cruise crowds

There's no need to limit yourself to a jeep. We usually rent Mitsubishi Monteros for more room. Once you get out of Road Town, there's quite a bit of scenic driving on Tortola. Have a great trip, alashas http://www.youtube.com/user/honeymoon2

boston
Level Contributor
533 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Avoiding cruise crowds

Do you have a recommendation for a car rental near cruise port? For either the jeep or Montiero. Many thanks!

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
6,885 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avoiding cruise crowds

Yes get a vehicle that is comfortable and enjoy what Tortola has to offer. You can use a map to see the main sights, and stop somewhere for a nice lunch on the beach or a more comfortable spot.

I would recommend heading over the hill to the north/west coast toward Cane Garden Bay and then south toward the West End. You will be going by the Heritage Inn/Bananakeet restaurant and the view from there is breathtaking. You could then drive through to the Long Bay Resort (which you can see in the distance from Bananakeet) and enjoy seeing that beach for a little bit if everyone is up to it. Then head back to Zion Hill Road that you just passed and take the coastal road back to Road Town. That provides a beautiful view of the islands.

Another option is to stop at Brewer's Bay where there is one beach bar with restrooms and not so many ppl that it would be uncomfortable (hopefully).

And finally, a catamaran ride to the Baths on Virgin Gorda with Joe (patouche.com) would be a very enjoyable day. He and other operators like Aristocat and White Squall II dock near the cruise pier and offer packages that work for cruisers. You can take a dingy into shore or just admire the view from the boat with a cocktail. That is a beautiful way to see the islands, even if you don't swim or snorkel.

Have a great day!

[EDIT] - corrected Joe's e-mail address

Edited: 12 December 2012, 17:39
North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
6,885 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avoiding cruise crowds

we use Jerry's in West End because we ferry into WE and so we haven't rented in Road Town. But here's a list, Avis is well-known of course and Itgo also seems to be popular, but you can check reviews here on TA or by googling.

bvivacation.com/transportation/….UMsEtBB5mK0

boston
Level Contributor
533 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Avoiding cruise crowds

After much back and forth we are going to attempt to ferry to VG and catch a truck to the baths. How do I find the ferry schedule? And is this possible on a cruise stop from 8 am to 5:30 pm??!

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Avoiding cruise crowds

Yes, plenty of time to do this in an 8 hr cruise stop. Here is the ferry schedule:

http://www.bviwelcome.com/ferries.php

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
6,885 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Avoiding cruise crowds

I would recommend having the driver drop you at the Top of the Baths, there's a restaurant and wading pool there and the path leading down to the Baths is there. Hopefully your parents can make the trek down the path, if not they can wait comfortably there while you do that.

Then taxi to the Mineshaft Café for a spectacular panoramic view and a bite to eat. Also try their signature drink, the Cave In ("It's all in the Juice, Mon!"). Just a great spot to stop for lunch after the Baths and not really out of the way. Youcan have the same driver return to pick you up or just call one from there.

I hope the older folks are able to enjoy their day, even if they can't walk down to the Baths they will have some very nice island views from the Mineshaft and the ferry.

Edited: 04 January 2013, 21:05
Hampton, VA
Level Contributor
69 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Avoiding cruise crowds

Stay away from Cane Garden Bay in the late mornings. That's when the cruise ships bring over the busloads of unruly cruisers. Unfortunately, my only 2 times with the cruise crowd was blasted by the F word the whole time. Glad to see them leave.

Tortola
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Avoiding cruise crowds

I would try the bvi directory for car rentals

bvinewbie.com/bvi-directory/car-rentals-bvi/

Tortola
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Avoiding cruise crowds

always try checking with the ferry company, as they often change schedules. personally, i prefer this ferry schedule

bvinewbie.com/bvi-ferry-schedules/…