We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must Sees at Each Cruise Stop?

Cherry Hill, New...
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Must Sees at Each Cruise Stop?

Hi! We are taking a RCCL cruise in March 2013 to the following islands: Tortola, St. Martin, St. Kitts, Guadelupe, Barbados

We would like to try and do something different each day (in other words, we don't necessarily want to go to a beach every day). Can anyone recommend must sees for each of these islands? We are in port from 8am-5pm each day. We are traveling with 3 children ages 11, 9 and 4 and are pretty much up for anything. We definitely want to do some snorkeling, but prefer to do so from a beach (as opposed to taking a catamarin snorkeling tour). We are willing to take taxis, tours and/or rent a car.

Thanks so much for your advice!

Wendy

Lake Mary, Florida
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Must Sees at Each Cruise Stop?

My wife and I are on the same cruise. In the BVIs I recommend going to The Baths, we have been there once and it's amazing.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must Sees at Each Cruise Stop?

Concur about the Baths on Virgin Gorda - it is generally at the top of "must see/do" lists for the BVI.

Enjoy your trip, alashas http://www.youtube.com/user/honeymoon2

Cherry Hill, New...
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Must Sees at Each Cruise Stop?

We were considering The Baths, but was concerned it would be too difficult for our 4 year old. By any chance, do you happen to recall if there were any small children when you were there?

Cruise will be here before we know it!! Have a great time!

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,057 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Must Sees at Each Cruise Stop?

Also highly recommend the Baths as that is an experience that is unique to anywhere else you're going. 4 yr old will be fine as long as you keep him/her close.

Barbados would be a beach day for us because their beaches are second to none.

St Kitt's an island tour then head to the beach, or take the cat sail over to Pinneys Beach on Nevis and have a cookout.

St Martin would be a daysail on the Golden Eagle, that's one of our most favorite excursions we've taken throughout the Carib. You can check their reviews here on TA as well as their site -

http://www.sailingsxm.com/

If not interested in that I would avoid Orient Beach (unless you want a lively beach with several of your cruisemates) and head for a nice beach on the northwest coast.

Have not been to Guadelupe, we need to correct that!

Wendy, while the Baths are something I wouldn't miss, it's not as nice going when a ship excursion is there of course as it can be very crowded. The guide can help and it may be fine though. But I'm wondering if you would be able to make it a better experience by going on your own rather than the ship excursion. You would take the same ferry (unless you are able to make an earlier one than the larger group) and a taxi to the Baths. But if the cruise crowd is also heading there I'm wondering if it would make sense to head to Savannah or Spring Bay for an hour first, and perhaps by the time you get to the Baths the majority would be gone. But I don't know if that's a viable option or a waste of valuable time - Alashas what do you think of that? Just head to the Baths and with any luck get there first?

Note that there are a couple other options for getting to the Baths, especially for a longer stop like yours -

patouche.com, contact Joe to see if you fit his timeline.

And Dion of D&D TOurs operates a small boat near the ferry dock and drops you right at the beach so you avoid the taxi on VG and beat the crowd. Several ppl have good reports for him on cruisecritic, we have nut used him.

And if you want to snorkel from the beach Tortola is a great island for that, Brewer's Bay which has one beach bar with restrooms and chair and snorkel gear rentals would be your best bet (total taxi fare is postyed as ($64 roundtrip). But we don't know Guadelupe and if snorkeling is good there then definitely do the Baths on on your Tortola stop.

Both of you have a great cruise!

Lake Mary, Florida
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Must Sees at Each Cruise Stop?

I recall seeing younger children there. The beach is amazing and the rock formations make it completely worthwhile.

Cherry Hill, New...
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Must Sees at Each Cruise Stop?

So, If some members of our group dIdn't want to explore the baths, they can just hang out on the beach whIle the rest of us go through the baths? Can you snorkel from the beach? If so, Is there somewhere you can rent snorkel gear? Thanks for all your great advice. I really want to get to the baths!!!

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,057 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Must Sees at Each Cruise Stop?

You can hang out on the beach, Poor Man's bar at the bottom of the path has refreshments and sandwiches, I don't remember them renting snorkel gear but perhaps someone else can confirm that they do. The waves can be rough with undertow on rougher days so I doubt the snorkeling would be good right there.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Must Sees at Each Cruise Stop?

Wendy,

Yes, some members can hang out at the beach while others hike through the baths. There is a snack bar, restrooms, lockers, but I don't think snorkeling gear is available there - I suggest renting that from the Dive BVI shop in the VG Yacht Harbour. Keep in mind that when you hike the trail through the Baths, you will be at a lovely beach called Devil's Bay (no amenities). So, you'll either need to walk back through the Baths to hook up with your friends again, or arrange to meet them in the parking lot at the top of the Baths and walk the trail from Devil's Bay to the parking lot, without going through the Baths again.

Have a great time, alashas http://www.youtube.com/user/honeymoon2

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Must Sees at Each Cruise Stop?

PS, here is a link with helpful info about the Baths, including a map. Actually, I wouldn't worry too much about trying to figure out the map, just stay on the trail through the Baths and you'll get to Devil's Bay http://www.scubamom.com/bvi/thebaths/

10. Re: Must Sees at Each Cruise Stop?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2014, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Tortola