We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smugglers cove

5 posts
Save Topic
Smugglers cove

Does anyone know if the beach bar and food vendors are comin back anytime soon?? It was nice to see Stephen the bartender every year with his blender hooked up to a car battery. Where did these guys go?

Chadds Ford...
Level Contributor
135 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Smugglers cove

The government in their infinite wisdom put a stop to all the venders. Such a shame

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,313 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Smugglers cove

We miss Patricia the most, Nigel was also there but Patricia had excellent grilled food and a nice little bar.

"Rum Dum"!

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
150 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Smugglers cove

If I wanted to go to a beach without a bar, I would go to Hawaii. One of the most charming things about Tortola was the lack of rules that allowed entrepreneurs to set up adult lemonade stands on the beach. I hope they allow them back before we go again in December. Smugglers Cove won't be the same without them!

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,313 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Smugglers cove

Actually if Patricia had followed the "rules" this total shutdown would not have happened, the other vendors trying to move in would have been kept out. But just stop at the French Deli and grab a great baguette sub and your favorite drinks and enjoy an even quieter beach.

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
150 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Smugglers cove

Ugh.

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,313 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Smugglers cove

Haaas67, I was told Patracia has set up new digs elsewhere, I'll let you know where if that is true. We didn't hear of or see Nigel on our last visit, I never met Stephen that I can remember. Nigel had the "trailer" to the right of Patricia as you are facing the water.

Edited: 11 July 2013, 01:59
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Smugglers cove

Apparently the vendors were getting out of hand and fighting amongst themselves. It was also getting pretty unsanitary. Shame that the old "Honor Bar" was left to rot. It would be great if they could restore that place, but it's almost in as bad shape as that old car.

I enjoyed the peace and quiet when we were there last year, but it would be nice to be able to rent a beach chair and grab a drink and a bite to eat.

Edited: 11 July 2013, 20:54
New York
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Smugglers cove

Do you know if this has happened on other beaches? I will be in Tortola in August with my husband and two girls. I like to know when I can buy the girls lunch or when I need to pack it. Thanks for any info you have.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Smugglers cove

Christina, there are a # of restaurants and snack bars at Cane Garden Bay, and Nicole's Bar & Grill on Brewer's Bay. Have a great trip, alashas http://www.youtube.com/user/honeymoon2

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,313 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Smugglers cove

Yes as alashas said you have 6 restaurants/beach bars in CGB, one in Brewers, the Long Bay restaurant in Long Bay and perhaps Nature Boy's down the beach. Nothing at Smuggler's that I know of.

On the east end you have de loose mongoose and cyber cafe in Trellis Bay and nothing but gorgeous sand and water at Long Bay, Beef Island.

Our favorite day is stopping at the La Baguette French Deli in Wickhams Cay II for an excellent baguette sub and your choice of drinks to take to Smuggler's.

Enjoy!

Get answers to your questions about Tortola
Recent Conversations