We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone been to both scrub island and frenchmans resort?

NYC
Level Contributor
66 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Has anyone been to both scrub island and frenchmans resort?

We are trying to decide b/w these two properties and would love to hear pros/cons of each. We are v low key so nightlife is not important to us.

Thanks!!!

West Viriginia
Level Contributor
198 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone been to both scrub island and frenchmans resort?

We have docked at Scrub and stay 3 days or so at Frenchman's at the end of our sailing trips. I have seen a room (very nice) at Scrub but never stayed in one.

They are very different places. Scrub is much larger but not close to a typical sprawling resort. It has more of a "pool scene" with quite a few people and an all day pool bar. Marina can be quite busy. Overall busier and more people. Never been too crowded in my experience though. It has a good fitness center and some shops. Two restaurants that are getting much better and I'd say will be excellent. We like Srcub.

Frenchman's , I'm sure you have seen from the website, has villas. The villas are surrounded by beautiful landscaping and flowers. Much much quieter. "Boutique" over used term but I think it fits here. Extremely friendly and

helpful staff! We love the bar and restaurant. Fantastic food! We plan it in every trip so obviously we love it. It has a feel I can't describe.

Both have great views. I rent a car when staying at Frenchman's. Scrub is not connected by a road but they have a water shuttle. I'm sure I'm leaving out positives on both.

Hope this helps some.

Jim W

NYC
Level Contributor
66 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone been to both scrub island and frenchmans resort?

Jim - Apologies for the delay. Not sure how I missed your reply. Thanks a million for the distinction b/w the two. I think our goal is to split our time. I have a feeling we can't go wrong!

Thanks again :)

West Viriginia
Level Contributor
198 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone been to both scrub island and frenchmans resort?

Yes. Excellent idea! We are going to do the same next summer after sailing.

Have fun.

JW

Cane Garden Bay...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anyone been to both scrub island and frenchmans resort?

I don't currently have anything for Frenchman's Resort, but if you are interested in Scrub Island I have produced quite a collection of videos from all over the property. I'm not here to endorse one over the other, I have been hired to produce videos for many resorts and villas in the islands, so here is an overview video of the facilities at Scrub Island, and I have videos for each of the private villa options, and also all the different rooms including the Presidential and Governor suites. Can send you links to any of them if you'd like to see. Cheers, Rick

https://www.youtube.com/watch…

Tequesta, Florida
Level Contributor
144 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anyone been to both scrub island and frenchmans resort?

We stayed at both properties just last week beginning with our arrival in St. Thomas. I left with different impressions than jwcarib, so I will share my thoughts as we know travel opinions are so subjective.

I think Frenchman's feels like a very large resort...sprawling too. We stayed in the main hotel area, not a villa. It was quite a trek to the beach and a hassle if you forget something in the room. The resort management is in a transition period apparently and the service was spotty. The property itself is in desperate need of repair, but the rooms were recently done (at least ours). It was a basic "marriott room" with a great view (if you get a view). We rented a jeep and was glad to be able to leave the property easily for meals as what we had there was super expensive and not very good. The beach is quite nice, a bit rough waters while we were there and very rocky getting into the water...water shoes recommended. There are no beach services like most beach resorts offer....no food or drinks offered at your chair, no one to set up a chair/umbrella....you are self service. Pools are nice but very old. I just left feeling that this place has seen better days and hopefully will be brought back at some point because it is a great location.

Scrub island was extremely quiet during our mid week visit. Very elegant and classy. The rooms were much more luxurious.....along the lines of a JW if you are familiar.....luxurious bath. The restaurant was actually less pricey than at Frenchman's, and substantially better. The beach was not great but it was unique, peaceful and very natural. I liked that they had the small pool by the beach to refresh. I liked the small, private sitting areas at the beach. Overall, the resort was spotless and fresh....I saw nothing in disrepair.it felt exclusive and special.

Bottom line, in my opinion, Frenchman's was a 3*+ experience and Scrub was a 5* experience, splitting your stay will likely be a great choice!

British Virgin...
Level Contributor
739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has anyone been to both scrub island and frenchmans resort?

Are we talking about the Frenchmans in the BVI or somewhere else?

West Viriginia
Level Contributor
198 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Has anyone been to both scrub island and frenchmans resort?

I could throw a rock from one end of Frenchman's on Frenchman's Cay BVI to the other. They only have one pool and NO main hotel, villas only. Confusion with Frenchman's Cove on St. Thomas???

Boston
Level Contributor
5,893 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Has anyone been to both scrub island and frenchmans resort?

I think they are asking about Frenchman's on STT because they are talking about Marriott Resorts, not Frenchman's Cay.

British Virgin...
Level Contributor
739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Has anyone been to both scrub island and frenchmans resort?

That is also my assumption. But i wouldn't want people to get confused, because I think Frenchmans is the BVI's #1 rated property, and only gets rave reviews.

10. Re: Has anyone been to both scrub island and frenchmans resort?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2014, 05:17