We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time of year for sailboat charter

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
110 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Best time of year for sailboat charter

Hi All, We are planning a trip to the BVI - landing on Tortola and chartering a sailboat for a week to explore the nearby islands. As we are avid snorkelers, we were wondering what is the best time for maximum water clarity and calmness between February and June. Any snorkeling recommendations for best spots -Tortola included as we will probably spend a few "land days" there - also most welcome!

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time of year for sailboat charter

I like the water temps more from mid-May to mid-October, so if it were me I'd go with later in your dates rather than earlier. Happy Sailing!

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
110 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time of year for sailboat charter

Thank you, but aren't we chancing more rain then?

West Viriginia
Level Contributor
212 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time of year for sailboat charter

I like May through July. Most likely you will get some quickly passing showers.

Not usually as windy like the winter months. So water tends to be calmer and clearer.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
110 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time of year for sailboat charter

May it is! Thanks for advice.

5. Re: Best time of year for sailboat charter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Tortola
Recent Conversations