We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report, Part 1: BBQ, Boulders, and Blacklists

NYC
Level Contributor
1,551 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Trip Report, Part 1: BBQ, Boulders, and Blacklists

Hope you'll come along to Tortola for the (very steep) ride! :)

Tracey

http://traceyg.travellerspoint.com/89/

Boston
Level Contributor
1,504 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report, Part 1: BBQ, Boulders, and Blacklists

Hi Tracey,

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your trip report. I knew immediately that you were at the Top of the Baths, I recognized those while scalloped chairs.

I usually stay on Virgin Gorda and your pictures made me home sick. I am heading out to Tortola in a week and I will be close to Myett's. I hope the BBQ is on the menu all week.

One question to any one reading this. What is a switchback? I am sure I have seen, just not sure if I know the word for them. Are they when you pull off the road to let someone else go through? We rented a SUV on Tortola and I know we will come across them. I just want to prepared so I know what to do.

I loved your pictures too. It was nice you got to enjoy the Baths without all the cruise ship tourist groups descending on it all at once. I only saw a picture or two with other people in it.

Thanks for sharing. looking forward to part II!

NYC
Level Contributor
1,551 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report, Part 1: BBQ, Boulders, and Blacklists

Hi Tia,

"Switchback" is the local term for what I would call a "hairpin turn." You'll definitely know one when you see one! :)

We got very lucky with our visit to the Baths - we arrived pretty early (despite the delay with picking up the car and the incident with the keys!) and didn't see anyone else until we got to the very end - then there was a group of about 30, but the leader was very polite and held back so we could go ahead of them, even allowing extra time for me to take my photos.

If you're able to get over to VG while you're on Tortola, be sure to visit Coco Maya if you haven't already - we LOVED that place (as you will see in Part 2!).

Have a great trip to 'Tola!

Boston
Level Contributor
1,504 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report, Part 1: BBQ, Boulders, and Blacklists

Thanks Tracey. I am glad I asked about the switchbacks. I am not a fan of the hills and I am afraid that will be what turns us off with Tola.

We have checked out Coco Maya during the day. We stopped there once in the evening and left. We didn't have a reservation so they told us to go to the bar. We went to the bar and changed our minds about eating there and when they saw us turn to leave they immediately found a table for us. We sat down and my closed minded husband didn't like the menu so we left and went over to Giorgio's table. I know everyone loves the place. We didn't have a good experience, but may try it again.

I am not putting my husband down, he just isn't open to new things.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,728 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report, Part 1: BBQ, Boulders, and Blacklists

Switchback is not just a local Tortola term. It is widely used in the USA other parts of the world, not only for roads but also for hiking trails. :-)

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,728 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report, Part 1: BBQ, Boulders, and Blacklists

Switchback is not just a local Tortola term. It is widely used in the USA other parts of the world, not only for roads but also for hiking trails. :-)

Great report!

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,015 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report, Part 1: BBQ, Boulders, and Blacklists

Tia- did you drive over the mountain in VG and to Leverick Bay? If so, I am thinking perhaps that driving in Tortola would not be any more intimidating than that but others can chime in- we are headed to Tortola for a week in April for our first stay there but we have driven on St. John, St Thomas (up to Drake's Lookout) and on Virgin Gorda to Leverick- is Tortola worse?

Canada
Level Contributor
141 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report, Part 1: BBQ, Boulders, and Blacklists

Amazingly great blog....thank you for sharing this!

Boston
Level Contributor
1,504 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report, Part 1: BBQ, Boulders, and Blacklists

Hi DnaMobile,

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier. We have already been to Tortola. I got stuck doing the driving because my husband broke his wrist the night before we left. It was my first time driving on the left, because my husband usually does it.

I can say that driving on the left isn't so bad, but the hills and switchbacks are something else. My passenger were quite scarred. The driver (me) doesn't mind it so much because you have control over the situation, but passengers are definitely afraid.

I just asked my husband if he thought the roads were worse in Tortola and he said definitely. You can just tell that when we go by the island on the ferry en route to Virgin Gorda.

We got lost at night in the dark coming back from Cane Garden Bay. I was driving too. I followed what I thought was the main road and veered to the left when I should have gone straight. It seemed like we were heading into a jungle. I was a little bit nervous too because it was getting late and all I wanted to do was be in my hotel room resting in bed.

We have been over to Leverick and Gun Creek on Virgin so we can compare. We didn't even cover the whole island of Tortola, but just the west end area was enough for us.

Cottage Grove...
Level Contributor
45 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report, Part 1: BBQ, Boulders, and Blacklists

Fun trip report! Would love to check out Coco Maya some time. We'll be on Tortola for the first time this April. We usually go to St John. Thank for the useful info in your report!

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
150 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report, Part 1: BBQ, Boulders, and Blacklists

Great trip report! Great pics of The Baths!