We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scrub Island questions

Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
803 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Scrub Island questions

Hi all,

We've just booked a week on Scrub Island after tripping over it on the Marriott site. We know nothing about it and are now very curious. So - some questions!

Is the resort the only thing on Scrub Island? That is, if we don't want to eat at the resort restaurants will we have to leave the island?

Is the water shuttle free or is there a pay per trip? How long does the shuttle take? (I see it runs every 30-45 minutes).

Are any activities included or is everything a la carte - things like snorkeling, kayaking, etc. Also concerned about what hidden expenses there might be when going to a new resort.

Any other tips or warnings (beyond what is mentioned in reviews)? Thanks!

BVIsland Dragon

British Virgin...
Level Contributor
739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scrub Island questions

The resort is the only thing on Scrub, so you will need to leave the island for other restaurants. Scrub has a little provisioning shop if you want to cook in your room. The Marina Cay ferry may pick you up to eat there. I think the ferry runs hourly, and is free for guests. The trip takes about ten minutes.

Check your reservation, I thought Scrub charged a resort fee to cover the kayaks. Not sure about snorkeling equipment, but the Dive BVI shop on island has a good selection for sale. Check their web site for their excursions, which are good.

Other things? The company that runs Scrub Island has filed for bankruptcy, so stay tuned. When is your reservation?

Northern California
Level Contributor
75 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scrub Island questions

We just got back from 4 days there. Very pleased, overall.

There is a daily resort fee, and the use of the kayaks is included, as are fresh towels at the pool.

The resort is the only thing on the island, but there is a Dive Shop (where you can pay a daily rental fee for fins, mask and snorkle) and a VERY limited store. We bought Diet Coke and juice there, but not much else. We did bring in a couple of bottles of rum from the duty-free shop in PR. We also brought our own masks and snorkles (easy to pack) - fin rental was $6 per day per person.

If you want to go off-island, they leave for Trellis Bay each morning at 8:30, 9:30 and again in the afternoon - ours left at 1:30. It is included as part of the "transfers" - or at least we were not charged extra. We also took the Marina Cay shuttle over to Marina Cay one evening for drinks from Scrub Island. No charge for that either.

We did pay for a snorkle excusion via the Dive Shop, $100 for the trip, not including lunch at Willy T's. We had arranged everything in advance, including filling out an emailing the reservation form. When we checked in the day before our excursion, they had NO RECORD of it, even though I had an acknowledgement email from their manager - so my advice is to DOUBLE CHECK once you're on site.

The property was clean, well kept, and we had very few issues. One issue was the jacuzzi - the jets did not work at all for the time we were there. But the staff were pleasant and helpful, and we were very happy with our trip.

Big tip: get a Painkiller at Trellis Bay before you head out to SI - they are terrific at the TB bar!!!

Portsmouth, New...
Level Contributor
168 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scrub Island questions

We're headed in May for a week. I plan to do so day trips from there to Virgin Gorda and Jost.. Is there an easy way to get to Jost from Scrub.. or is it Ferry to Tortola, Taxi to West End, and ferry to Jost?

Also, can we rent a boat from the Marina on Scrub> I sent a few emails to the concierge, but have not heard back...

4. Re: Scrub Island questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2015, 04:27