We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1/2 day snorkel - Tortola

MA
Level Contributor
165 posts
1 review
Save Topic
1/2 day snorkel - Tortola

Hi!

We will be in Tortola for a short 3 days at the end of Feb.

We are hoping to get in some "good" snorkeling & have heard that Smugglers Cove & Brewers are about the best there is on Tortola.

Does anyone have any experience or suggestions regarding 1/2 day snorkel trips out of Tortola? We are trying to stay away from "eating up" a whole day on a full day excursion.

Are also entertaining the thought of heading over to Virgin Gorda (via ferry) to snorkel off of Savannah Bay & Mahoe instead of the half day snorkel. We have already seen the The Baths & don't need to head there, again on this trip.

Any & all advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Sue

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,600 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1/2 day snorkel - Tortola

Additional snorkeling opportunities without leaving Tortola:

Long Bay (the one on Beef Island - not the resort) is a beautiful crescent shaped beach with great snorkeling right off the beach.

Also on Beef Island - take the ferry Trellis Bay to Marina Cay. You can snorkel all around the small island and have lunch at Pussers.

MA
Level Contributor
165 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 1/2 day snorkel - Tortola

Thank you for the suggestions.

Is there a specific area/location off of Long Bay (on Beef Island) for the best snorkeling?

The same question for Marina Cay. We stopped there quickly for a quick lunch at Pusser's (off of a day trip) - but at that time, did not notice anyone snorkeling.

Can you suggest where on Marina Cay we should enter the water and in what specific location the best snorkeling is.

I had heard that there is good snorkeling there about 300 yards out - but, I am hoping that you are implying that there is good snorkeling closer to shore. If not - no big deal - we snorkelled Waterlemon Cay off of St. John last year & swimming a reasonable distance is not a problem.

Just hoping to get a little more detail of where to head off of Long Bay & Marina Cay.

Thank you, again, for taking the time to respond. We really would prefer just to stay "land-based" as we only have a few days. But, of course, don't want to miss out on some great "underwater treasures".

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,600 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1/2 day snorkel - Tortola

There is public beach access at the western end of Long Bay. After you drive over the Queen Elizabeth Bridge (small toll bridge), take the first left toward Little Mountain Estates. The access road goes off to your right before you teach Little Mountain. There is a parking lot at the bottom of the road. The best snorkeling is at the western end of Long Bay, near where you will enter the beach.

N.B.: When I was last on Tortola in 2003, there were no facilities or beach bars at Long Bay. That situation may have changed, but I would still suggest that you take water with you.

Trellis Bay, wih the Marina Cay ferry, is further out on Beef Island. you turn toward the airport and then go off to the right. (At Trellis bay there is a wonderfulcasual restaurant called De Loose Mongoose, which does great breakfasts and barbecues. There are also some interesting shops and an internet cafe.)

When you park at the parking lot at Trelis Bay, you will see the ticketing office for the Marina Cay ferry. We snorkeled right off the beach at Marina Cay, going into the water near the ferry dock and swimming all around the island.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,600 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1/2 day snorkel - Tortola

If you have never been you to Norman Island and the Caves, it is worth a trip when you have more time. Also, my husband dives, so he did the Wreck of the Rhone. I do not dive, but I enjoyed to view from the top very much.

MA
Level Contributor
165 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 1/2 day snorkel - Tortola

Actually, I have only come across 1 half day sail - it is with Patouche. And they said that they sail to Norman Island - but, not usually The Indians since the waters can at time be rough.

We didn't want to "eat up" a whole day of a full day snorkel trip - but, we were seriously considering this trip.

It is nice to hear that it would result in getting to a site that others (like yourself) say would be good to go to.

Neither my husband or myself dive, either - we only snorkel.

Again, thank you so much.

MA
Level Contributor
165 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 1/2 day snorkel - Tortola

Thank you for the details re: Long Bay & Marina Cay. That will help a lot!!

We definitely have some great suggestions from you!

We are really looking forward to our first trip to Tortola and hope to make it as memorable as possible!

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,600 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1/2 day snorkel - Tortola

The sail of Patouche would be a lot of fun. I think you should do it!

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,600 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1/2 day snorkel - Tortola

I forgot to mention: The Indians is, in my opinion, the most spectacular snorkeling in the BVI. When you get to Tortola, you can find a captain with a motor boat who will take you out there.

(Sorry to muddy the waters here, but The Indians is too good to miss.)

MA
Level Contributor
165 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: 1/2 day snorkel - Tortola

You are pretty much "right on target".

When I wrote to Patouche, inquiring about their 1/2 day snorkel, I specifically asked if it was to The Indians - as I have heard such wonderful things about it.

But, like I said - I am not having any luck finding a 1/2 day excursion that will take us there. (In particular, we will only have the full days of Thurs, Fri & Sat.) So, not only are we looking for a half day sail to The Indians - but, it also needs to coincide with those days.

But, again - not locating any other 1/2 day sails at all - besides Patouche.

Again - any suggestions out there??

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,600 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1/2 day snorkel - Tortola

The best way to get to The Indians is by motor launch or dive boat. It is hard for the big sail boats to get close enough. There are lots of motor boat captains who go out there; but, since many of them are independent contractors, it is hard to locate them in advance of arriving on the island.

Contact Dive BVI (www.divebvi.com) to ask about half-day trips. The do sightseeing and snorkeling as well as dive trips, so I suspect they can help you. Inquire about getting an in-water guide who will swim with you and point out interesting features that you might miss.

You can also check with the people where you are staying on Tortola. Everybody on Tortola seems to know people who does these trips. If you are still unable to find what you want, let me know. I will contact a friend on Tortola to see if she can help.

Have a wonderful trip! - Christie

Get answers to your questions about Tortola