We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place for self-provisioning in Road Town?

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
15,250 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Best place for self-provisioning in Road Town?

We will be barboating out of Road Town with Moorings on March 21. We will be arriving a day earlier so decided to self-provision instead of having the charter company do it. Where is the best place to buy groceries? We are looking for a place that has a wider selection with fresh fruits, vegetables, deli section, etc. Any suggestions? We are staying at the Hummingbird Inn which is close to all of the grocery stores and restaurants in Road Town.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
817 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place for self-provisioning in Road Town?

To avoid having to worry about food shopping you can opt to have your villa provisioned before you arrive by Bobby's Supermarket. You can place your order with them. Here's a link to their website:

http://www.bobbysmarketplace.com/

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,250 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place for self-provisioning in Road Town?

We are boarding a sailboat in Road Town, not a villa. Also, I would like to shop for my food myself. I've used these services in the past and have had bad luck with someone else picking out our fruits, vegetables, deli items, breads, etc. We have an entire day to provision our boat ourselves. I would like to know if anyone can recommend one grocery store over another one with a nice selection.

Thank you

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,250 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place for self-provisioning in Road Town?

p.s. I downloaded Bobby's excel spreadsheet a couple of months ago and can see that they have a pretty good selection (their wine list on the spreadsheet is lacking and I hope they hae a better selection in the store). We will definitely shop ourselves.

Is Bobby's the best one? Are there any other recommendations?

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
817 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place for self-provisioning in Road Town?

Sorry about that, I guess I skimmed the message too quickly. Bobby's will also provision charter boats.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
817 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place for self-provisioning in Road Town?

Other than Bobby's, the next place for wine would be Tico in Road Town. Bobby's however has the widest selection of things and is the closest thing you'll find to a true supermarket on the island, other than Rite Way (slightly smaller, less selection). You can also check with Road Town Wholesale and Supa Value (both wholesalers).

Caribbean
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place for self-provisioning in Road Town?

Best is if you have a full day and a car, Otherwise, take a few taxi rides, or have one wait for you and hold your groceries; they are used to that. Multiple places are recommended, as you never know what's in stock and what day things arrive, esp with produce. Bobby's is good, Riteway and One Mart are fairly close, larger grocery stores. Tico's for all beverages, CYM has beverages and speciality foods and is very helpful, and Sailor's Ketch has great seafood. You can order online with most of these places, and they all will deliver to your boat. I'd try to order what you can online (sailor's ketch wants cash or check only), and get the more delicate produce yourselves. But still, sometimes one place has no bananas and another has no lemons.

Caribbean
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place for self-provisioning in Road Town?

Overall, I've had the best luck hitting Riteway and Bobby's. Riteway deli has good cheese, the meats are not bad also. Also, check out Le Baguette Deli (near Ticos on main road) for frozen bread dough & croissants, cheeses, etc.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,250 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place for self-provisioning in Road Town?

I prefer to shop myself. We have used a local online grocery service here where we live and I've been surprised by what has shown up. I now only use them on occasion. Sometimes the description online is not exactly what they have in the store. I would like to see my stuff before I purchase it. That is why I specifically asked about shopping myself.

I also know they will deliver our stuff to the boat after we purchase it. My friends who have chartered numerous times from Moorings in Tortola have done that several times. Shopped themselves and then have it delivered. I was just shopping around for the best all around grocery store and I think Bobby's will work out fine.

Mentioned in this post
Tortola
Tortola
British Virgin Islands
Bettendorf, Iowa
Level Contributor
510 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best place for self-provisioning in Road Town?

We're bareboating next week with Moorings. We usually provision at Bobby's Market in downtown Road Town. We even got a ride back to the Moorings base from one of their employees on one of our trips.

One of the things we've learned is that it isn't necessary to try and provision for the entire trip on that first day as there are numerous grocery stores along the way, especially for produce and meat. Bobby's and White Way markets are not far from Moorings base. There are smaller markets at Spanish Town, Cane Garden Bay, and West End/Soper's Hole, in case you forget something or just want something that's fresh. As for overall selection, Bobby's is probably the best along with being the biggest.

Mentioned in this post
Cane Garden Bay
Cane Garden Bay
952 Reviews
Tortola
Soper's Hole
Soper's Hole
278 Reviews
Tortola
Bettendorf, Iowa
Level Contributor
510 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best place for self-provisioning in Road Town?

Regarding my post above - I mentioned White Way. It should be Rite Way. There's also a decent supermarket right at Moorings base (although I still think Bobby's has better selection).

Get answers to your questions about Road Town
Recent Conversations