We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cruise ship excursions

Winter Garden...
Level Contributor
144 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
cruise ship excursions

Anyone know of any excursion companies that offer tours for cruise ship passengers for various trips?

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cruise ship excursions

Check with your cruise line.

Winter Garden...
Level Contributor
144 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cruise ship excursions

I do not like to use the cruise line unless I have to. They charge way more than other companies and are usually more crowded. One I like to use is Island Marketing, but they have no tours for Tortola. But thank you.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,352 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cruise ship excursions

Tortola is not very big and you will find that the day the ship is in it is very crowded everywhere. You should look at what the cruise ship is offering and see if you can find it on the internet. If you want to go to the Baths, you can just take the ferry. If you want to go to Cane Garden Bay, you can just take a taxi.

There are not a lot of organized tours in general there - it is pretty laid back which is why many of us go there.

Winter Garden...
Level Contributor
144 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cruise ship excursions

You mention there are not alot of organized tours there. Do you know of any companies that you can recommend to me. I guess I have not asked my question in the right way. I am looking for tour operators in the area, outside of the cruise line. Thanks

Boston
Level Contributor
6,352 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cruise ship excursions

I don't know of any. It is not a tour operator kind of destination. To be honest, people that do there do so to get away from that sort of thing.

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cruise ship excursions

Pretty much all the tour operators work for the cruise line. Plenty of independent taxi's available and you can also travel on the inter island ferries, to Virgin Gorda etc. Let's make this a bit easier, what would you like to do or see(or NOT see).

Michigan
Level Contributor
646 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cruise ship excursions

Doesn't sound like you'll get much "lovin" here Wings. :) I get the feeling that the BVI lovers on these forums are not too crazy about the Cruise Industry making Tortola one of their Port of Calls.

Being an ex Cruiser I know what you are looking for, if you haven't already found it may I recommend www.cruisecritic.com This is the most comprehensive web site I have found for Cruising, most comprehensive site I have found for anything for that matter.

In the Forum section there will be a link for Tortola or BVI's (not sure which one, it's been years since I've been on the site). Lot's of discussion on what to do and who with. Some of the ports are "hijacked" by the Cruise Industry and it may be difficult to find a Tour Operator that will cross them, Jamaica is like that.

If you plan on cruising in the future you should make Cruise Critic one of your favorites. Hugely active site and now owned by our very own Tripadvisor. Good Luck!!!!

Boston
Level Contributor
6,352 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cruise ship excursions

Tortola has been a port of call for the cruise ships for a long time, but recently there have been an influx of ships - in my opinion, way too many for the island. Having between 3-5 ships per day in Roadtown is too many.

The people who go to Tortola (myself included) go there because it is not a touristy destination full of day trippers from cruise ships. No offense to the cruise ship passengers, but it is simply not the type of vacation that we want to have and yes, when the ships are in we try to go places to get away from all of the people. We like to stay at Cane Garden Bay and when the ships are in the beach is very crowded with people who really do not spend any money and they leave the beach filthy. It is really sad. If I want to go to a touristy place with lots of people and traffic, I can simply go to St Thomas.

Tortola's bread and butter tourism is from land based tourism and yacht chartering and too many cruise ships actually hurts Tortola's tourism because I know people (and I am one of them) who do not plan on going back as a land based tourist because of the influx of cruise passengers. It is very short sighted on the part of the government.

Despite all that, we do try to be helpful and answer questions, but some of the posters do not want to do any work themselves researching where they are going and what they might want to do.

Winter Garden...
Level Contributor
144 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cruise ship excursions

saffie11

I too am a land tourist, but also very much enjoy the cruises. I live in Orlando, and have, since the beginning of Disney (as a child) and have seen the growth, so I understand what you say. As for tourist, land people as you call them, also leave beaches a mess. I frequent Cocoa Beach monthly and see what happens to a beach. Although, it is hard to pin point just who is leaving things"filthy". My thoughts, the world is out there for everyone to see and enjoy however they may travel, and there are many places not yet "discovered" by cruise ships. :)

Laurel, Maryland
Level Contributor
435 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cruise ship excursions

A friend of mine has a sister who lives on Tortola, and when she was asked the best way to spend one day in port, she told us to definitely go to the Baths.

When we were in Tortola on a cruise last month, we walked to Speedy's ferry and went to the Baths on Virgin Gorda for the day. Highly recommended. Don't go on a cruiseline tour -- you can easily do this on your own. You can see the schedule at http://www.speedysbvi.com/ We got a group together from our ship (check out your "roll call" on cruisecritic.com) and they gave us a cheaper rate on our tickets. There is also another ferry called "Smith's".

Get answers to your questions about Road Town