We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leaving Road Town Flying out of STT

Which Road Town hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Level Contributor
36 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Leaving Road Town Flying out of STT

Hello,

To catch a :Saturday 230 pm flight out of St. Thomas, what time would we need to get the ferry out of Road Town? Is there a long wait in customs. We are planning on the 10:00 ferry but are concerned that might not leave enough time for the flight.

Thanks!

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leaving Road Town Flying out of STT

Never know with the ferry. Have heard they are a bit more regular, but I am always on the 7/730 boat out of West End for a 1:30 flight. Breakfast in STT , a walk along the waterfront downtown and a bit of shopping and off to the airport.

Assuming the 10 am does run, that is plenty of time, but if it doesn't, you're in trouble.

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leaving Road Town Flying out of STT

Take an early ferry to remove any anxieties. As CGB said it's much nicer to have free time on STT rather than fretting if the ferry isn't cooperating.

Hartford...
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Leaving Road Town Flying out of STT

I would suggest taking the 10:00 Road Town Fast Ferry, it gets you enough time to get to the airport

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leaving Road Town Flying out of STT

As stated if all goes to plan Denise...We would leave earlier with a flight involved as we cannot assure the op that the 10 am option is bulletproof.

Somerset, New Jersey
Level Contributor
250 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Leaving Road Town Flying out of STT

This is very helpful as I too have a 1:30 flight out of STT in August. I have an additional question - how long of a taxi ride from Fort Recovery to Moorings Marina?

California
Level Contributor
5,852 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Leaving Road Town Flying out of STT

We just returned a couple of weeks ago from VG and took the ferry around 10:00 AM from Road Town to St. Thomas and got there in plenty of time for the afternoon AA flight to MIA. Here's one good tip, when you get off the ferry in SST you have to go through US Customs, if your one of the last people getting off the ferry your going to have a pretty good wait in line. Before the ferry docks try to position yourself so you can be one of the first off, it'll save you 15 or 20 minutes at least. Taxi's are right at the dock and take 5 minutes or so to get to the airport. All very easy so don't sweat it!

Somerset, New Jersey
Level Contributor
250 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Leaving Road Town Flying out of STT

Thanks, that is a good tip.

east longmeadow, ma
Level Contributor
218 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Leaving Road Town Flying out of STT

I would respectfully disagree with the poster who says the 10:00/10:30 is no problem. Lately, the RTFF out of Roadtown has been somewhat erratic, and the ferries from West End to CA have been a disaster. Over on TTOL, which is a more active forum than this one, they are on their 3'rd or 4th "ferry mess" thread....some as recently as this past weekend! I would definitely take the early one....at least you have some options if something goes afoul. Do what you will, but fore warned is for armed. Also, it's about 20-25 minutes from Fort Recovery to Moorings.....hope this helps.

Somerset, New Jersey
Level Contributor
250 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Leaving Road Town Flying out of STT

Thanks, that helps a lot. Need to be at Moorings by noon and wanted to know how much time we had in the morning.

NJ
Level Contributor
88 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Leaving Road Town Flying out of STT

I agree --Leave earlier for a 1:30 flight. Also call to book the da before and call to confirm the departure the morning of. Recently I have encountered a ferry arriving just before mine. In this case you need to wait until all of the luggage is off loaded on the first, people disembark and then all luggage is offloaded on yours. You then go through immigration and customs. You go through this routine again at the airport. If you arrive earlier the taxi drivers outside of the customs will hold your luggage and you can walk into town for breakfast or lunch. This will minimize time at the airport.

Leanne

Villa Sirenetta

Get answers to your questions about Road Town