We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cooper Island Beach Resort vs. Fort Recovery or others?

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
151 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Cooper Island Beach Resort vs. Fort Recovery or others?

I'm scouring Tripadvisor for the best combination of beachfront (with an actual beautiful sandy beach), 4* or better accommodations, quality snorkeling beach and views, in the BVIs at a reasonable price. We can't spend $800-$900/night for two weeks (the first half of our trip will be at Sapphire on STT). I would like to keep in under $400-$500/night. I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on Cooper Island but will be a bit disappointed that we won't be on Tortola or Virgin Gorda. I know we can take a day trip to both places but I think the quality of the room, the beach, the snorkeling all win out.

I think I've reviewed about everything (also got close on Long Bay Beach Resort but not a snorkeling beach was a deal breaker) and Cooper Island and Beach Recovery seem to come closest. I would welcome any thoughts or recommendations. I recognize this is a tall order but the bar is high after three stays on STT and STJ. Thank you in advance.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
688 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cooper Island Beach Resort vs. Fort Recovery or others?

We have stayed at both Cooper Island and Fort Recovery. For me, definitely, Cooper Island would be my first choice...much better beach, snorkeling, no car...I guess most everything we liked better. I do believe Fort Recovery has done some renovating since we were there. The lodging at Cooper Island is very basic but we loved it. If you do go to Cooper, be sure to pickup food, snacks, drinks, and so on, before getting on the boat. Have a great trip.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
151 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cooper Island Beach Resort vs. Fort Recovery or others?

Thank you for your feedback. Can you tell me more about the beach/snorkeling at Fort Recovery?

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Cooper Island Beach Resort vs. Fort Recovery or others?

When are you planning to travel as I know a couple of villas on Tortola that could be an option if it's early November or Early December. Although they are both in long bay, smugglers cove is just around the corner for snorkeling but the villas are excellent. How many of you also as this is price dependent.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
688 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cooper Island Beach Resort vs. Fort Recovery or others?

There is a small beach at Fort Recovery (I believe mostly man made), but we did not snorkel. We had a car and went to the other side of the island to Smugglers Cove. They were working on renovations when we were there and the restaurant was not open.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
151 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cooper Island Beach Resort vs. Fort Recovery or others?

Thank you. We're going to be in the BVIs the second week in Jan. I would be interested in knowing about the villas for future trips should they not be open this time around. We really do want to get to Tortola for a longer stay. I appreciate the information.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Cooper Island Beach Resort vs. Fort Recovery or others?

The villas in long bay are alfresco. This is a great villa with pool email alfrescobvi@hotmail.com or website alfrescobvi.com. The other villa is called oceanview. It is currently just coming online as a rental property but a great price and close to the sea. Email oceanviewbvi@outlook.com

Hope that helps happy holidays

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
157 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cooper Island Beach Resort vs. Fort Recovery or others?

Just remember that 4-star in the BVIs isn't the same as 4-star in the U.S. Keep your expectations low when it comes to luxury and service or you'll be sorely disappointed.

The most upscale place I have seen with my own eyes is Surfsong Villas. They aren't on a sandy beach, but the beautiful swimming beach is a two-minute walk away. The service at Surfsong is outstanding. Kayaking through the mangroves is amazing.

For the best snorkeling, I would rent a villa at Smuggler's Cove.

8. Re: Cooper Island Beach Resort vs. Fort Recovery or others?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2014, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about Road Town