We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Storm damage?

KC, MO
Level Contributor
541 posts
44 reviews
Storm damage?

I've been seeing posts on facebook of all the storm damage/flooding on Tortola.

Did Virgin Gorda get hit as hard?

Prayers for everyone's safety.

32 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
1. Re: Storm damage?

We left VG this morning and felt very happy to get out. We were in a low lying area and had significant flooding and rock slides. The downtown area looked a lot better than where we came from.

KC, MO
Level Contributor
541 posts
44 reviews
2. Re: Storm damage?

Thank you Sarah! Glad you were able to fly out and hope you made it home safely. Prayers for everyone's safety in the BVI's and USVI's.

New Paltz, New York
Level Contributor
970 posts
14 reviews
3. Re: Storm damage?

Was this a tropical storm or just heavy rain in the area? Hope everyone is safe.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
7,739 posts
9 reviews
4. Re: Storm damage?

It was heavy rain associated with a "tropical wave" that passed through the BVI's - not a Tropical Storm because it lack sufficient winds to meet that classification.

FYI - this time of year tropical waves roll off of the coast of Africa every 7 to 10 days and make their way across the Atlantic. They track to the southwest, west and north west depending on the steering currents in the upper atmosphere. Many of the "waves" dissipate before reaching land but some of these "waves" become Tropical Depressions and a few developed further into Tropical Storms or even Hurricanes.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
105 posts
1 review
5. Re: Storm damage?

It was a tropical wave.

KC, MO
Level Contributor
541 posts
44 reviews
6. Re: Storm damage?

Thank you! Seems I should have titled this "Tropical Wave Damage".

I have seen many posts on the flooding in Tortola but haven't been able to find much on Virgin Gorda. Praying the season passes quietly for everyone!

New Paltz, New York
Level Contributor
970 posts
14 reviews
7. Re: Storm damage?

I just saw some Youtube videos. WOW-what devastation in Tortola. I too did not see much mention of VG.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,910 posts
38 reviews
8. Re: Storm damage?

That happened once when I was in Tortola and it was pretty bad but the next day they were out fixing everything and it was back to normal in a couple of days. The event was pretty hairy though - flash floods in CGB and we happened to be driving over the hill from RT at the time and started slipping backwards. Not fun!

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
105 posts
1 review
9. Re: Storm damage?

A TTOLer posted a photo of Spring Bay that was posted on Facebook. Warning...I cried.

https:/…

New Paltz, New York
Level Contributor
970 posts
14 reviews
10. Re: Storm damage?

Yeah, that is pretty upsetting! What a photo. I take solace in the fact that the ocean should repair that.

Reply to: Storm damage?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Virgin Gorda
Recent Conversations