We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Little Dix Bay or Cap Juluca?

Boston
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Little Dix Bay or Cap Juluca?

My husband and I are planning a vacation and can't seem to decide between these two. We want a place that is worth the money we are spending. Somewhere laid back but luxurious. Crystal clear and calm water and soft sand. Also a place that isn't real crowded. Can anyone help sway me one way or the other? I know we can't lose either way.

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
6,939 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Little Dix Bay or Cap Juluca?

Wow, hard to steer you one way or the other. Both are great resorts and yes, they are "worth it". I've been to both several times and can say it's really a toss up as far as the resorts are concerned. The biggest difference is the islands themselves. Anguilla is a flat scrubby and arid island, with 35 brilliant white sand beaches, below average snorkeling, little natural vegetation and 80+ restaurants. Virgin Gorda is hilly and somewhat lush (although not a lush as places like Nevis or St. Lucia) with few golden sand beaches lined with palms and other vegetatioon, great snorkeling, a few restaurants and access to multiple dive sites, and scores of surrounding islands & cays.

You can't go wrong at either resort they are both among the top rated in the Caribbean. Pick the island that you think you'll like the best.

Boston
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Little Dix Bay or Cap Juluca?

Thank you so much. Any experience perhaps at Parrot Cay.

USA
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Little Dix Bay or Cap Juluca?

Just based on the resorts themselves, I would have to pick Little Dix Bay over Cap. But the dining opportunities are much better in AXA than VG, in my opinion.

Boston
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Little Dix Bay or Cap Juluca?

Thanks again, we do love to eat. It could be nice to leave the resort for dinner when you have every other meal there.

Have you been to Parrot Cay?

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Little Dix Bay or Cap Juluca?

Another thought...you might want to check the recent posts on Anguilla. There is a developing problem with crime on the island and there have been some shootings and gang activity. This should not be much of a concern staying at Cap or the other big resorts, but traveling around late at night might be. The BVI, on the other hand, are relatively safe.

Other posters pretty much said it all -- Anguilla is flat and scrub and does not have the tropical green lushness, but the beaches are long and beautiful. Virgin Gorda is mountainous, greener & more lush, and beaches are more likely to be in coves around the island with views to many islands and cays. Good snorkeling and pretty, tropical scenery. I'd vote for Little Dix at the moment.

Another possibility to look at is Guana Island, a private island in the BVI. A very different experience, like being invited to a friend's beach house for the week. Lovely setting and totally laid back. Superb snorkeling. And with 7 beaches on the island you can spend any day --or every day -- alone on your own beach.

I might actually choose Caneel Bay, ST. John over Little Dix or Cap, simply because Caneel also has 7 beautiful beaches, gorgeous grounds, and there are a number of excellent restaurants within a 10 minute drive of the resort. And there's shopping, too, in St. Thomas, a short ferry ride away.

However, you will not find as many great restaurants on any of the islands as you will on Anguilla (except St. Barts). Also, surprisingly, there are many excellent restaurants in SAn Juan and Old San Juan, PR...if passing through, consider staying over for a night and sampling PR. We did this once and have made it a regular stopover. Good luck in whatever you choose...

Bridgetown, Barbados
Destination Expert
for Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
5,822 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Little Dix Bay or Cap Juluca?

Well talking of crime, I was in Tortola (mainly) in June and there has been major crime going on there over the last 6 months or so and in fact the Sat before I left there was a drive by shooting in Road Town, Tortola - the guy was shot 11 (yes eleven) times! - I think they meant it! - Most people who mentioned it said that it was apaprently one gang - but not pleasant...one of my clients who was the first to mention it has been in business there for the last 15 years and has been robbed 3 times since last December. Another client had her guests held up in her restaurant - the gun man held a gun to an 8 year old while diners emptied their pockets - fortunately no-one in either of these was hurt.

Fortunately I didn't hear about any of this until my last week there and I was there for 3 weeks - most things seem to be happening at the poorer (looking) East End.

Sarah

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Little Dix Bay or Cap Juluca?

I was in Cap Juluca four years ago and to this day it is one of my favorite experiences. The resort is incredible and the service was great. We went out to dinner at a wonderful local restaurant every night and found it fantastic.

Last month we went to BVI. We started in Virgin Gorda at Bitter End Yacht Club. We had to go there for a special reason regarding my son but we were greatly disappointed. We only spent 3 nights there and headed to Peter Island for 5 more nights. If you want another great option for Little Dix Bay or Cap Juluca, try Peter Island Resort. It is fantastic and you can find some more details on the BVI Form under Peter Island.

You may also want to look at another favorite spot, Raffles Resort in Canouan, Grenadines.

Have fun!

8. Re: Little Dix Bay or Cap Juluca?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2009, 04:17