We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time of day to visit the Baths?

Which Virgin Gorda hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
St. Kitts
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best time of day to visit the Baths?

I will be staying on Virgin Gorda in November, and our hotel is a short drive away from the Baths. My main interest (besides enjoying the beach) is photography, and I'd like to go when there are the fewest number of people there so I can get some good shots. Early morning?

Thanks,

Julia

Stuart, Florida
Level Contributor
396 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time of day to visit the Baths?

Early in the morning, like 7:00am-9:00am , after 3:30pm, or anytime on a no cruise ship day, if you can hit one.

St. Kitts
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time of day to visit the Baths?

We get lots of cruise ships here on St. Kitts too, but I can't remember the start of the busy season. I thought it was December, but now I'm thinking it starts in November, right when we will be visit Virgin Gorda (11/9 - 11/12). Any idea when the cruise schedule will get crazy around there?

Thanks!

Stuart, Florida
Level Contributor
396 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time of day to visit the Baths?

Usually doesn't start to get really crazy until Thanksgiving, but if you want to check closer to your trip time, there is a good schedule on BVIPlatinum.com . You need to not only check for ships anchored around Virgin Gorda, but any large ships in port at Road Town, as they ferry tons of people over to VG to go to the Baths.

new jersey
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time of day to visit the Baths?

Early morning at the Baths and also later in the afternoon, once the cruiseships clear out. You may also want to try Virgin Gorda National Park which is on the way up to the baths. Just a short walk from the parking area and some very interedting rock formations.

One of my favorite swimming spots

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
189 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time of day to visit the Baths?

Spring Bay also works as a substitute for the Baths - its the beach next door to the Baths and has even better swimming/snorkeling - cheers

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
817 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time of day to visit the Baths?

Sunset shots - 5:00pm-5:30pm, beautiful.

High noon - 1:00pm-2:30pm (great lighting, a lot of the time there won't be a cloud in the sky and the water will be crystal clear!)

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
2,303 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best time of day to visit the Baths?

We're just back from our first trip to VG. As mentioned, get there early. We were there a couple of times about 8 and only ran into a couple of people in the caves. Another morning we went to Devil's Bay, intending to enter the caves from that end. but there was a parade of people coming out. They just kept coming, there was no way to go against the flow. It was a cruise ship excursion.We got our first taste of what I suppose it can be like in peak season.

We just hung out and snorkeled around Devils Bay. Eventually all of the people went off to their cruise ship and we had the caves to ourselves again. People come in waves and we were able to find the times in between and really be alone in there at midday. i don't know if there any those kind of lulls during peak season. The light really does change greatly at different times of day. It's worth it to see them at different times.

As mentioned as astonishing as the Baths are, all of the beaches from Devils Bay to the Crawl are eminently photographable.

And finally, be a whole lot more careful with your camera than I was with mine. I fried mine in the caves the first morning. I knew that water and electronic equipment don't mix, but i didn't realize how little water (particularly salt water) it takes to ruin a camera. It was the only unpleasant thing on the trip. Generously, my wife did allow me to use her camera at times, but set pretty stiff regulations about where it was to be used.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
817 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best time of day to visit the Baths?

Second that, be careful with the camera. I set my Nikon down inside and didn't realize the huge puddle nearby and it was drenched. Luckily I caught it before it seeped into the bag too much!

9. Re: Best time of day to visit the Baths?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 03:19