We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying into St Thomas- How do I get to VG

Which Virgin Gorda hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
West Chester, OH
Level Contributor
71 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Flying into St Thomas- How do I get to VG

A few questions regarding first time travel to VG...

We're staying at Nail Bay and will probably have a Jeep meet us when we arrive on VG.

If we fly into St Thomas, arriving at 3:22pm on Friday 5/22 (we would fly out of St Thomas departing at 4:30pm on Saturday, 5/30), what is the best way to get to VG? Ferry routes? Are there island hopper flights?

Would it be necessary to plan to stay overnight on St Thomas the 1st night to make sure we don't miss a ferry?

Is it common to use ferry like that with our luggage?

Where would we go thru customs?

What kind of $$$ should we have in pocket for these travel needs.

Or, is just worth the extra money to go thru San Juan and fly Air Sunshine to VG?

Any suggestions and tips would be great!

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying into St Thomas- How do I get to VG

Take the SJU route. The ferry schedule is not that frequent from STT to VG. If you miss, it can be a problem bestofbvi.com/info/bviferry_stt_vg_speedys.h…

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying into St Thomas- How do I get to VG

Air Sunshine has flights between STT and VG.

Atlanta, Ga
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying into St Thomas- How do I get to VG

I would take the SJU route. The ferry doesn't run that route everyday. The time you would be saving is worth the extra $$ for the flight to VG. It is a cool little runway and airport also. I will be in VG the same time as you but we are staying in STJ 2 days before and after VG.

Australia
Level Contributor
361 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying into St Thomas- How do I get to VG

Cheapest option:

Take a Road Town Fast Ferry at 4:15pm to Road Town (1hr) and then 6pm Speedy's ferry to VG (1/2hr). Cost 50 US. Clearing customs in Road Town ferry terminal.

Back:You can take 8:30 ferry VG-CA and spend the day in St Thomas, or go to Tortola around 10/11 am and then to CA.

Clearing customs: 1/ at the ferry dock in CA and then 2/at the airport.

The 5:30pm flight from STT to VIJ is an option but daylight permitting.

West Chester, OH
Level Contributor
71 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying into St Thomas- How do I get to VG

I worry about timing. How long would it take to get thru the airport in STT and then get to the Ferry Dock.

I am leaning toward Air Sunshine to VG. Flying into STT or SJ is pretty close in price, is one a better choice than the other?

This will be our first experience driving on the left. Are VG residents fairly tolerant of us newbies?

West Chester, OH
Level Contributor
71 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying into St Thomas- How do I get to VG

Okay- I decided to fly into SJU and then AS to VG

How much time should I alot at SJU between flights?

If we arrive at 1:20pm, should we be able to make the AS flight at 2:30pm or will I be best to reserve the 5pm. On the return, our flight out of SJU is at 3:30pm... if we get there by 1:25pm, would that be enough?

I can't wait to get these flight reservations out of the way! Then it's all nothin but looking forward to beautiful Virgin Gorda!

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,675 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying into St Thomas- How do I get to VG

You are on the same flight schedule we were on last time. AS would not let us on the early flight. We had to wait for the 5:00. By "not let us on" I mean they would not even entertain thoughts of letting me booki it. They kept saying we might leave early but we actually left at exactly 5pm.

Your flight schedule on the return trip should work fine, no problems.

8. Re: Flying into St Thomas- How do I get to VG

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 16:16