We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virgin Gorda, Nail Bay - Sundowner

Which Virgin Gorda hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Charleston, SC
7 posts
Save Topic
Virgin Gorda, Nail Bay - Sundowner

Hello to everyone. I'm a long time reader of all of these forums, but a first time poster. I am getting married on 5/09 and on 5/11 we fly out for a week stay at Nail Bay, the Sundowner Villa. I can not begin to tell you how excited I am to spend a week in paradise with my new wife!! This will be our first trip (of many hopefully) to "the islands."

We are flying to San Juan and catching Air Sunshine for a flight to VG. I've read about the Air Sometimes nightmares, but we have plenty of time and, hopefully all be fine. One question though: If one of us stays to retrieve the checked bag....can that person stay inside the security gates while the other person goes to the Air Sunshine counter and checks in for both of us? Basically, I'm just wondering if it is necessary for both of us to have to go back through security?

Ok, on to the trip, we booked the package in which we get a jeep for the duration of our stay, and a day trip to either Anegada or a trip that includes a few snorkeling stops around Norman Island.

We are leaning towards the Anegada trip, as we would like to hit up Cow Wreck Beach, do some snorkeling, sip some pain killers and relax in what looks like paradise. Does anyone have any experience with either the day trip to Anegada or the Norman Island trip? If so, please do share with me.

One last thing, I have read plenty of advice on what to do, but any "must see's/must do's" during May that we should be aware of?

Once again, thanks to all that have posted some awesome trip reports and suggestions on this forum. Alashas, your photos are awesome and they have derailed me numerous times at work! I will gladly return the favor and post a trip report once we return. Until then, I will be counting down the days until we leave.

Thanks for any suggestions or help!

- Sixth_Gear

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,695 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Virgin Gorda, Nail Bay - Sundowner

sixth gear, there is no reason for one person to go get the bags and the other person to check in if you have plenty of time. Just stay togther and do everything you need to do.

Atlanta, Ga
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Virgin Gorda, Nail Bay - Sundowner

Congradulations, what a wonderful way to begin a new life together. I know you will have a great time in Virgin Gorda. Snorkles

West Chester, OH
Level Contributor
71 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Virgin Gorda, Nail Bay - Sundowner

Hello Sixth_Gear

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! We were married 2 years ago in St Lucia and that was enough to hook us on the Caribbean Islands.

We will be arriving at Sundowner a few days after you on 5/22 for our first trip to VG! We plan on visiting the Baths, hiking Gorda Peak, visiting the Coppermine, and probably a day up in North Sound area. We also have the package with a day trip included and have still yet to decide between Anegada, Norman, Cooper or Jost...we'll just see where we end up when we get there:) Oh...and lot's of snorkeling! We even bought flashlights to give it a try at night...hopefully no sharks in the reefs by Sundowner!

Would love to see any tips you have to offer upon your return, as we will just be finishing up our packing.

Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
304 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Virgin Gorda, Nail Bay - Sundowner

Hello:

Air Sunshine requires you to check in and they only do that outside of security.

Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
304 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Virgin Gorda, Nail Bay - Sundowner

Hello:

Suggest you hire a porter. They will take your luggage to AS and that way you will also find AS.

If you are running late, I suggest that one person goes to the AS checkin and stands in line with passports and tickets. The other person can go to baggage claim and get the luggage.

Remember AS REQURIES you to show your ticket on your return flight. DONT lose it or you will pay for another ticket with no recourse.

Also 40 lbs per person baggage.

TpCook

South Sound Villa

Virgin Gorda

Charleston, SC
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Virgin Gorda, Nail Bay - Sundowner

Thank for the advice on Air Sunshine. If everything is on time, we should have plenty of time so we'll just stick together. I was just curious after reading some of the nightmares some travelers have had with AS. Can't wait for the trip!

- Sixth_Gear

Duvalcrawler
Level Contributor
103 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Virgin Gorda, Nail Bay - Sundowner

We'll be at Saba Rock the 16th-23rd, we'll buy you a drink!

Charleston, SC
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Virgin Gorda, Nail Bay - Sundowner

Duvalcrawler - I'm not too familiar with Saba Rock, however, we'd love to make it there....and if we do, I'll take you up on that drink and I'll match you two. We'd love to meet and hang out w/some like minded peeps. Anyway, we'll be in the vicinity on VG. If you have some tips for making it to Saba, please share. We can't wait for this trip and are gonna make the most of it.

Counting down the days......

- Sixth_Gear

West Chester, OH
Level Contributor
71 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Virgin Gorda, Nail Bay - Sundowner

Hi Sixth,

...hope you enjoyed VG at Sundowner... we head out tomorrow morning to stay at Sundowner. Any pointers?

Charleston, SC
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Virgin Gorda, Nail Bay - Sundowner

Enjoy the h*ll out of it, the time flew by for us! Wish I was back there sipping on a cocktail now. I was just editing some photos from our trip.

Some pointers: Hit up Bucks or Rosy's supermarket on the way in for some snacks, water, beer, etc. for the villa. The villa is stocked with every utensil, spice, appliance, etc. We only made dinner one night at the villa, but it was great. Bucks is easier to find right away, but we found Rosy's to have a better selection. Check the expiration dates on stuff you buy in the stores.

We rented snorkeling gear from Nail Bay and it worked fine. Spend some time exploring the island in the jeep - it's not big so you can't get lost for long.

Hit up Saba Rock for lunch or dinner. Just drive to Gun Creek jetty and call them, they will send the water taxi to pick you up, it's free. We went for lunch so we didn't have to drive the north sound roads at night, they are steep...just keep you shoulder on the shoulder and you'll be fine.

Here are a couple maps that we printed out to take (at the suggestion of Alashas):

guavaberryspringbay.com/pdf/map_valley.pdf

guavaberryspringbay.com/pdf/map_northside.pdf

Rock Cafe, Mine Shaft, Sugarcane, Top of the Baths, Bath and Turtle - all are awesome restaurants. We liked the Mine Shaft and Rock Cafe the best. We aren't huge eaters so we split an entree and a salad and it was more than enough food. Make a reservation to sit outside at the Rock Cafe and make sure you catch the sunset at the Mine Shaft.

The sunsets at the Villa are awesome! We went back and made some cocktails and watched the sunset just about everyday.

Like everyone else said, hit the Baths early to avoid the crowds. Savannah Bay, Mountain Trunk, and Spring Bay were our favorite beaches. Mountain Trunk is right beside the villa - you can walk or drive the jeep right down to it. They even have chairs to lay out on. All the beaches offer great snorkeling.

If it rains, just wait it out...it will stop soon. Take some bug spray - you will need it!

There is a book at the Sundowner that has a lot of previous guest comments and suggestions in it. Read it for some other great pointers. Kasha, Cordell, Angelo, and Paul at Nail Bay are awesome!

Most of all - Have fun and enjoy every minute of it! It was the best vacation we have been on and we couldn't have asked for a better honeymoon.

- Sixth_Gear

Oh yeah, have a few painkillers for me!