We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving on Virgin Gorda

Which Virgin Gorda hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oklahoma
Level Contributor
155 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Driving on Virgin Gorda

Hey fellow forum members,

I did a quick search on this topic and didn't come up with much information.

Just wondering if any of you have tips for driving on VG. Any challenges? Anything in particular to avoid? Is driving at night safe?

Any help you provide would be greatly appreciated!

-SNBF

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving on Virgin Gorda

The roads are in good shape on VG and it is fairly easy to drive. There is only 1 main road that runs most of the length of the island and a few side streets in Spanish Town, as well as turn offs to beaches. Just remember to stay on the LEFT side at all times and you'll do fine. There are a fair # of speed bumps, esp. in Spanish Town, where you'll be driving 25 mph or less. Here's a couple of helpful maps:

guavaberryspringbay.com/pdf/map_valley.pdf

guavaberryspringbay.com/pdf/map_northside.pdf

have a great trip, alashas http://honeymoon2.smugmug.com/

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
155 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving on Virgin Gorda

Very helpful as always, alashas! Great maps, too!

We certainly don't mind driving more slowly in an unfamiliar place, so 25 mph is fine by us. Curious: What is the speed limit along the main road that links to the ends of the island? Or does it fluctuate?

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving on Virgin Gorda

Sun-N-Beach-Fun,

As you can see from this aerial photo:

…smugmug.com/gallery/…243622637_GU6KZ

the main road goes up on the right side of the island and you really will not be going more than 35 mph or so, in fact, I think that is the speed limit on the road, but can't recall for certain. Once you get to the Gun Creek/Leverick Bay area, you'll slow down to around 15 and even less as you wind your way down.

You'll have a great trip, alashas

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
155 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving on Virgin Gorda

Good info... THANKS AGAIN, alashas!

(I have a few other questions, but I'll try to space them out so as not to monopolize the entire forum for myself!)

-SNBF

MI
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving on Virgin Gorda

I say monopolize SNBF! I'm learning a lot from your questions!! :D Thanks for asking them!

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
155 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving on Virgin Gorda

LOL...

I guess as long as someone else is benefitting as well I shouldn't feel so bad, huh?

Thanks for the affirmation, jld123MI.

MI
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving on Virgin Gorda

you betcha!

West Chester, OH
Level Contributor
76 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving on Virgin Gorda

Night-time driving is a breeze as long as you get familiar with the road in the daytime first.

Afternoons in Spanish Town can actually be quite congested with school children walking home and construction at the harbor...just take it slow.

We did just fine as first-timers on the left... You will too:)

After you get comfortable, be sure to take the Nail Bay dirt road around the north to get the best views! Put it in 4WD and enjoy.

West Chester, OH
Level Contributor
76 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving on Virgin Gorda

Oh yea...

Be sure to take a couple copies of the maps that alashas posted -- they were quite helpful.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
155 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving on Virgin Gorda

Thanks for the insight on the driving, sn0wflake.

We actually had our first taste of "other-side-of-the-road-driving" last summer in Turks & Caicos so we won't be complete neophytes. We just weren't sure if there were specific challenges to watch out for in VG.

We will be sure and watch for the foot traffic in town (are schools in VG still in session?).

And, yes, the maps are great. We already have two copies of each printed and ready to go!

-SNBF