We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do on our Honeymoon?

Which Virgin Gorda hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NJ
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
What to do on our Honeymoon?

Looking for ideas of things to do on the island of Virgin Gorda? We'll be here on our honeymoon. I know there is part where were going to want just relax take in the sun, because it's going to be a trek getting there. So, what are things to do on the island from what I see from pics it's really remote. Also, were not trying to break any budgets so, do things that are not so costly. Were looking for fun to celebrate our tying the knot. Look forward to any suggestions from those who have visited the island. Thank-you

Tony

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,721 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do on our Honeymoon?

-Explore the Baths/Devils Bay area.

-Explore the Spring Bay-Crawl-Little Trunk-Valley Trunk area

-visit the Coppermine ruins, followed by dinner/drinks at Mine Shaft and a free game of 9 hole putt-putt afterwards

-Hike up Gorda peak

-Snorkel Mahoe Bay

-Friday night Jumbie Show at Leverick

-trip out to Saba Rock for lunch or dinner

-afternoon snorkel tag on with divebvi to the Dogs for $30.00 pp.

-Wednesday dive/snorkel trip with divebvi for $65.00pp

-ferry trip to Anegada for $65.00pp roundtrip

Brisbane
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do on our Honeymoon?

To get there is really a huge thing! Guess relaxing and some diving should be on the plan!

We are on our way to VG for our honeymoon (early August) as well!

Let us know what you decided to do! :-)

Sanda

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do on our Honeymoon?

kiton,

ACB has listed a lot of good things. The beaches are free on VG, except for the trail down to the baths, which cost a few bucks, but it well worth it. The beaches are the real draw on VG. The hike to Gorda Peak is not demanding, but wear something better than flip flops and take a couple of water bottles with you.

Where are you staying? if it is a place with a kitchen, you will save a fair amount of money buying groceries and preparing your own breakfasts and lunches, dinner, too, for that matter, but dining out is part of the fun on VG. Meals will probably be your next largest expense after lodging.

Have a blessed union, alashas

http://honeymoon2.smugmug.com/

NJ
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do on our Honeymoon?

Thank-you Alashas for your reply. Were staying at Lil Dix Bay. Were there 3-days. So, we'll be on our Honeymoon. Just a couple of questions?

Is a car needed?? Or can we get around by foot or bicycle if offered?

Any kind of evening event on the beach music, bbq? Any place where we can have a not expensive, but romantic dinner overlooking the sea.

Lastly, we wanted to take a day trip to St.John is there a ferry that runs to the island? What is the cost?

A week and counting...

P.S. Please inform if anything has to be reserved.

Michigan
Level Contributor
190 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do on our Honeymoon?

Kiton 150, I agree with ABC, all the things he listed are perfect BUT my concern is that you are only there for 3 days, is that correct? If you are staying at Little Dix Bay it changes everything.

The resort is BEAUTIFUL and, trust me, you won't want to leave for much of anything. The beach itself is gorgeous, with lounges, bohios, floats, kayaks, sunfish, beach service, gin clear water and a few local turtles who make their home in the Bay and are fun to follow around with your mask and fins. You can have a ball right there and the day will fly by.

They also provide free boat trips to a (deserted) beach of your choice, drop you off with a picnic lunch (if you so desire) and an umbrella and come back and get you at the time you designate. You will usually be either the only ones at the drop off or at the most one or two other couples. It is a great way to explore and yet have time to yourselves in a Robinson Crusoe sort of way. Always take your snorkeling gear because almost every spot you go on VG has world class snorkeling. You can also take a snorkel trip out to The Dogs right from the resort. This one is not to be missed. Its always one of our favorite days.

The restaurants at the resort are all high priced but you must have dinner at the Sugar Mill at least one night...or opt for a romantic candlelight dinner for two on the sand right at the water's edge with full service.

The Spa at LDB is one of a kind and a couples massage on an open veranda facing the Sir Francis Drake Channel is very romantic too. For the short time you are there you should not need a car. If you are at the resort on a Thursday, they have a picnic lunch at The Crawl, which is part of The Baths/Spring Bay area. Its a fun day with steel band music and good food. You can snorkel all along the beaches full of huge boulders and caves, grottos etc all the way to The Baths if you're adventurous. OR just take a separate trip via taxi to The Baths if you must but it is usually pretty crowded and the sites on the beaches to the east of The Baths are more beautiful, especially Valley Trunk.

A trip over the mountain to the north side, either Leverick Bay or the North Sound is breathtaking. You really should experience it while you are there.

First let us know if the 3 day thing is correct because it is obvious that I could go on and on and love to do so when its about my favorite place on the planet!!

Texas
Level Contributor
284 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do on our Honeymoon?

There is a free trail to the "Baths" that starts down at the far end of the parking lot. Really nice and takes about a half hour w/viewing stops.

TPR

Michigan
Level Contributor
190 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do on our Honeymoon?

The free trail the previous poster is referring to is the 300 yard long path that actually ends at Devil's Bay (one of the most beautiful coves/beaches you will ever see). From there you can climb through the boulders and caves to The Baths...it is fascinating! (Or you can snorkel around the right side of Devil's Bay and you'll be at The Baths)

NJ
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do on our Honeymoon?

Thank-you all again for your replies... It's a official were just 3-days out from our wedding here in her hometown of Houston, TX. We live for Virgin Gorda on Tues., we lose that day with all the traveling by air and layover. So, we officially don't really begin our honeymoon on the island til Wed. and were there til Sat. So, Live2vaca that's correct were only there for 3-days. I know were looking for some R&R, also we have a designated budget were working with. One of our thoughts was to purchase food from the local markets so, we'll have both brkfst and lunch. Any good recommendations for markets? At nite we can have dinner at the recommended resturants. Are the resturants expensive?? Do you have to make reservations for them prior to arriving at the island??

Lastly, I bride-to-be is a "planner", I'm somewhat of last minute. So, this honeymoon was left for me to plan. So, I'm very fortunate to have all this feedback. I wanted to know from all the suggested activities that can most of them be reserved when I get there? Or do I have to put reservations in now?? Thank-you all!!

To become happily married.

TONY

Michigan
Level Contributor
190 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do on our Honeymoon?

Hope I can offer some helpful information to you as you close in on your big wedding day and the perfect location for an idyllic honeymoon. Your time will be short with just 3 days so you just can't possibly cram in all there is to see on VG. You'll just have to leave some of it for your first anniversary trip! Little Dix Bay is a supurb resort and as long as you are spending the money to stay there, ENJOY it to the fullest. Part of the pleasure of such a place is to bask in the service and feel like a king and queen. That doesn't mean you have to spend a ton. The staff at LDB will make you feel that way just by your being there.

To answer your questions, picking up some food from the local market will be fine as long as you keep the amount of refrigerated foods to a minimum. Your fridge in the room is really a mini bar and won't hold much. The closest market is actually one of the best, its Buck's, in the yacht harbor and within walking distance from LDB.

As far as dinners, I go back to what I suggested earlier, that the most romantic option would be to schedule a candlelight dinner at LDB on the sand just feet from the water, near the Sugar Mill. You may want to inquire before you go about that since I'm not sure of the cost or how far in advance it would need to be booked. If that is not up your alley then the many restuarants that have been suggested by other posters are good options. The closest one to LDB is Chez Bamboo, real island atmosphere with great food, and they have the option of Tapas for a lighter meal too. A few nights a week there is a live band and dancing. Check out the schedule when you get there. Its within walking distance. You'll pass it on your walk to Buck's market. The prices at VG's restaurants can range from expensive to reasonable depending on what type of atmosphere and menu you are looking for. But in general anywhere you go in August will not require advance reservations, the island is very slow right now, but you should always call the day before or the day of just to be safe.

That holds true for all of the activities as well. It will be ok to wait until you are there for any reservations. Don't forget that LDB will transport you at no cost to your choice of beaches or out to The Dogs for a wonderful day of snorkeling. (Snorkeling eauipment is provided). To keep costs down, you can pack your own picnic lunch instead of ordering a basket the night before from the kitchen. If you want to splurge one day for breakfast, we think LDB's breakfast buffet is the best we've had anywhere and the setting is so beautiful across the bay in the morning. Ask for a table at the front rim of the dining room.

I'm not sure if they do their Thursday bbq lunch at The Crawl (a section of The Baths area) in low season but if they do, we highly recommend that. LDB will transport you there by boat if the waters are calm or by van if not. Either way, the food is good and the location is gorgeous. You shouldn't miss it. You will need to sign up for it the night before, I believe.

As I mentioned before, if you only do one outing away from the resort or independant of the resort's outings it should be a trip over the mountain to either Leverick Bay or to North Sound. Just the views alone are breataking. Pull off at the viewing points along the way and take photos. It's like you're on top of the world looking out over paradise. Stop and hike up to Gorda Peak (don't wear flip flops). Or call ahead and have the Saba Rock ferry (free) pick you up at the Leverick Bay dock at the time you designate and have a great lunch of fish tacos and painkillers sitting on the teeny island rock between VG and Eustacia. Go around to the back side of the property when you're done eating and rest on the hammocks looking out to the wide open sea to the east...unbelievable. The North Sound is spectacular.

Have a beautiful wedding and a FANTASTIC honeymoon!!!! Congratulations!

10. Re: What to do on our Honeymoon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2010, 05:16