We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

OK. Virgin Gorda Airport close in May when we are going....

Which Virgin Gorda hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta
Level Contributor
173 posts
1 review
Save Topic
OK. Virgin Gorda Airport close in May when we are going....

so what is the best way to get there? What is the closest island? Just searching for info with this latest curve ball.

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: OK. Virgin Gorda Airport close in May when we are going....

Nearest airport is Beef Island (EIS) on Tortola,then ferry over to VG. You may also want to check flights ATL/STT and ferry in from there. Takes a bit longer, but quite often the savings is considerable.

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,671 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: OK. Virgin Gorda Airport close in May when we are going....

loveCGB has you covered. It really depends on how much time you have and, of course, whether or not you have already booked your flight. If you are arriving at SJU flying into Tortola is the best option. If you are arriving at STT the ferry makes the most sense. Either option works well and is fairly organized and easy.

West Chester, OH
Level Contributor
71 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: OK. Virgin Gorda Airport close in May when we are going....

We are going in May as well. I've already booked the flight into SJU, so we will be flying Air Sunshine over to Beef Island and then take the North Sound Express from there to Virgin Gorda. I called North Sound Express to confirm departure times available... 4:15pm, 6pm & 8pm... they want reservations made the day before, but they did say that the 6pm will not go if there are not enough people... so in that case you have to wait till the 8pm.

Keep in mind that the NSX is a 15 min ride from Trellis Bay to VG Valley, but a 60-90 min ride on the return due to the other stops they make at Leverick and BEYC. I'm glad they mentioned that, because I will need to catch the earlier ferry back to make my return flight.

Since we are scheduled to land in SJU at 1:21pm, I think it may be cutting to close to book the 2:30 flight to Beef Island so we will probably book the 5pm flight and reserve the 8pm ferry.... but I will still hope to be lucky and get on the 2:30 flight and be allowed to take the 4:15 ferry (even though reserved on 8pm). I'll take the number for Nail Bay to call to keep them apprised of our changes and I'm sure that they will make sure our car is at the dock when we arrive.

Thank you to ACB for the advise and reassurance on these changes needed. It sure was less frenzied last year being able to fly directly to VG from SJU.

Edited: 26 January 2010, 14:18
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
2,259 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: OK. Virgin Gorda Airport close in May when we are going....

We flew from SJU to EIS, then took the ferry to VG. We had AA miles to use or would have flown into VG. But we were quite happy with how it worked out and certainly wouldn't mind going that route again. And there's something that I really like about arriving somewhere by boat. But depending on your travel route, the ferry from STT may be more convenient. The airport is just a short walk from Trellis Bay. And Trellis Bay is a really wonderful place to wait for ferries or flights.

5. Re: OK. Virgin Gorda Airport close in May when we are going....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 July 2010, 05:16