We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Looking for awesome villa for 2

Which Virgin Gorda hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
210 reviews
Save Topic
Help! Looking for awesome villa for 2

My husband and I are trying to decide whether to go back St. John or to try Virgin Gorda. We've never been to VG. The problem we're having is we want to rent a villa in a good area with fantastic views with a great pool for just the two of us. We frequently stay in villas in St. Barts and St. John. We obviously don't mind renting a large villa as long as we can get a one or two bedroom rate. Can anyone recommend any villas or which area would be suitable for us? We like having breakfast at the villa but we always dine out for dinner. All suggestions appreciated. We're planning for March 2011.

Thanks.

West Chester, OH
Level Contributor
71 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Looking for awesome villa for 2

Check out Sundowner at Nail Bay. www.nailbay.com

and my trip report/review...

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g147358-r321…

Chicago
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Looking for awesome villa for 2

I just returned from Spyglass at Leverick Bay. It's a 2 bedroom villa with pool, great views and within walking distance to Leverick Bay for groceries, and a restaurant.

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,699 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! Looking for awesome villa for 2

I rented villas on St John for many years and started coming to Virgin Gorda instead. It is a very different vibe; very sedate and layed back with polite and delightful locals and virtually no crime. Not that St John is crime ridden, but Virgin Gorda is remarkably safe. There are four notable areas to rent villas on the island. Leverick Bay, Mahoe Bay, Nail Bay, and The Baths area. Each has its good points and not as good points (there really are no bad points).

Leverick Bay is on the north end of the island and views out over the North Sound and the islands there. It is the area that would remind you the most of St John rentals. Great views from villas perched along the hillside. Beach access is limited and there is a 20-25 minute or so drive into Spanish Town and 20-30 minute drive to the better VG beaches (20 or less to Savannah Bay, less than 30 to The Baths are). There are restaurant options, a couple of grocery stores, boat rentals, and water taxi access to Saba and other spots available at Leverick. I have noticed that many of the villas in the Leverick area have washer and dryer which is unusual for villas on VG (and common in St John villas).

Mahoe will remind you of Peter Bay, but has better villa options at lower prices. All villas there have easy access (either on or a minute or two walk) to Mahoe Bay beach which has some of the best snorkeling on the island. Here is a place owned by a frequent poster on this forum:

www.adagiovilla.com/virgin-gorda.php…

Two very pretty beaches, Savannah and Pond, are right next door.

snOwflake already mentioned Nail Bay. It is further up the road from Mahoe and has several villas and units worth considering. The location is more isolated but still only 15 minutes or so from Spanish Town and well worth considering. There is a small beach at Nail Bay, nicer beaches at Mountain Trunk and Long. The area is very verdant with a great view west out to The Dogs.

I am partial to the southwestern end of the island where the famous Baths are located. I always describe this area as "unique" because there are precious few places on the planet that look even remotely like it. There is a series of six beaches in a row that are stunning. Here is a listing of villas from the fine folks at Guavaberry:

www.guavaberryspringbay.com/deluxevillas.htm

My family has become addicted to Beach House. It is not elaborate, does not have a pool, but it is fifty feet from the beautiful beach at Spring Bay and a fifteen minute snorkel from the Baths. Three other beaches can be reached by walking north down the beach. This house is the reason we quit going to St John. There is nothing like it on St John in the same price range...and believe me, I have looked. Access to restaurants is very good with a several in walking distance. Spanish Town is about five minutes or so away.

Montpelier, VA
Level Contributor
29 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! Looking for awesome villa for 2

Take a look at the Sugar Mill Villa in Nail Bay -- rent the top portion -- it is incredible and the views from the roof deck/pool is fantastic!

Good Luck!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
18 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! Looking for awesome villa for 2

That is a terrific response; very helpful. We just came back from St. John w our 3-yr old, where we rented a house overlooking Coral Bay. Liked it very much, but want to try VG too. How rainy would it be in Thanksgivng? I understand Oct-Nov is rainier. Also, what is most expeditious way to get there from mainland? DC-San Juan-via smaller airline/aircharter, or ferry boat from St. Thomas? Thanks!

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,699 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! Looking for awesome villa for 2

Hi Seanwashington -

Rainfall totals are at their highest in the VIs in October and November. That being said, it is rare that you an entire week of bad weather. I enjoyed a great week on St John one year with my eldest child, who was four at the time, during Halloween and early November. We never had a rained out day but usually got a late afternoon passing shower or a shower at night.

You can take either route you named and it all depends on your airline schedule. Most schedules I have seen, however, seem to favor SJU, a puddle jumper to EIS, walk acrooss the street to Trellis Bay, and then a 20 minute ferry ride to VG. Most flights arrive on STT between 1:21 and 3:40. You could make the ferry schedule work from there but it is not necessarily easy. Here is a link to look at:

www.bestofbvi.com/info/info_bviferry.htm

New Fairfield...
14 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Help! Looking for awesome villa for 2

Take a look at South Sound Villa on Virgin Gorda. It's a large villa with a very private pool. The whole place is on a peninsula, so there's water on 3 sides. They do pricing by how many people are in your party, so rates should be reasonable for two. During part of the year they have a special discount for just two people. Their website is www.videoautomation.com/virgingordavilla.

Texas
Level Contributor
284 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Help! Looking for awesome villa for 2

The "Beach House" at Guavaberry Spring Bay. Look it over.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
18 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help! Looking for awesome villa for 2

Thank you very much. We're hoping ot go even ealrier if we can too -- maybe July. How toursty is the vibe in Tortola? I'm assuming if we love quieter places like St. John's we would favor VG and maybe just do day-trip to VG? Thanks.

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,699 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help! Looking for awesome villa for 2

SeanWashington, if you like the quiet of St John you should enjoy VG. If you want even more quiet take a day trip to Anegada. You will be in for a treat.

http://www.b-v-i.com/Anegada/default.htm

Tortola is not horribly touristry and certainly worth a visit. Several posters on the BVI forums know the island well and will be glad to help you plan a visit.