We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yet another ferry question! Sorry!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
196 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Yet another ferry question! Sorry!

We land in STT around 1:40pm on a Saturday in August. Speedy's says the ferry leaves at 3:30pm from main ferry dock in Charolette Amalie. Need to check in 30 minutes before ferry leaves. Do I have enough time?? Do I need a taxi to the ferry or is it walkable? Any idea on cost of taxi if I need one? The ride is 2 hours according to Speedy's. Does it stop in Tortola? Do I get off and go thru customs there or in Virgin Gorda? When I go home do I go thru customs in VG or in Tortola and again at STT airport? I'm a little confused!! Thanks for the guidance!

Mentioned in this post
Tortola
Tortola
British Virgin Islands
Virgin Gorda
Virgin Gorda
British Virgin Islands
ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,792 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yet another ferry question! Sorry!

It can be confusing. I understand.

If you have checked bags, it will take you about 20-30 minutes to get them. If not, walk right outside to the cab area and ask for a cab to the ferry dock at Charlotte Amalie. This will not be an issue. It takes about 10 minutes to get to the ferry dock. You should be there with time to spare. Depending on the number of bags and people it should be $20-$40.

I have been through customs on Tortola and on VG so I cannot give you a definative answer. I would say that more than likely you will stop on Tortola on the way to VG and back. You will go through US customs at the Charlotte Amalie dock when you return. You will not have to go through customs again at the airport.

Mentioned in this post
Tortola
Tortola
British Virgin Islands
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
196 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yet another ferry question! Sorry!

Your the best! Thanks for the info.

Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
341 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yet another ferry question! Sorry!

As ACB said no problem making the 3:30 PM Speedy ferry. It is non-stop to VG so C&I on Virgin Gorda . Have a drink upstairs at the ferry dock.

If you are using Speedy ferry on the way back, you will stop at Roadtown to do immigration. Then C&I at the STT ferry dock and guess what, C&I at the airport again.

I will be on Virgin Gorda from the 17 of Aug thru the 3 of Sept. If you will be on-island give me a call at 495-7425 and we can get together

TpCook

South Sound Villa

Virgin Gorda, BVI

Mentioned in this post
Virgin Gorda
Virgin Gorda
British Virgin Islands
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
196 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yet another ferry question! Sorry!

Tpcook will do! I sent you a private email also. Thanks for the info all of it helps make it smooth traveling!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,259 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yet another ferry question! Sorry!

Is there a cheaper way to get to the ferry dock? Last year, I had to get to Red Hook to catch the St John ferry and they had vans that took people for $13/person. This terminal is 40-45 mins away.

There are two of us arriving at 3pm and need to make it to Charlotte Amalie ferry terminal for the 4:30pm ferry to Tortola. Not checking bags.

Are there shuttle vans for this? Maybe we can split a cab with others? What is the basic cost of the cab?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
Tortola
Tortola
British Virgin Islands
Boston
Level Contributor
6,767 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yet another ferry question! Sorry!

The taxis charge per person and it will be less than the fare to Red Hook. It should be less than $10 per person and perhaps charges for bags.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,259 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yet another ferry question! Sorry!

Thanks. Is there such thing as a metered cab? It seems a 10-min ride should be less than $20. That's more expensive than NYC!

Mentioned in this post
ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,792 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yet another ferry question! Sorry!

No such thing as a metered cab on STT.

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,792 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yet another ferry question! Sorry!

Here is a link to the cab fares on STT.

vinow.com/stthomas/…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,259 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Yet another ferry question! Sorry!

Thanks. That site is very helpful.

When I was on St Thomas last year, we just hopped on those open air trucks for $2. Does one that goes to the ferry terminal pass by the airport if we walk out to the main road?

Mentioned in this post
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
U.S. Virgin Islands
Get answers to your questions about Virgin Gorda