We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mango Bay Resort Wheelchair Accessible

Madison, WI
Level Contributor
123 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Mango Bay Resort Wheelchair Accessible

My wife and I are thinking of staying at Mango Bay Resort in one of the beachfront rooms right up close to the water. She is in a manual wheelchair and I was wondering how wheelchair friendly this resort is? Are there a lot of stairs around? It doesn't look like it, but wasn't sure. We are both in our 30's so if I need to carry her around a little, that is not a big deal. We hear Mahoe Bay is one the best bays for snorkeling and that is why we are considering this location. Thanks in advance.

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mango Bay Resort Wheelchair Accessible

Hopefully someone with first hand knowledge will chime in. The BVI's generally aren't wheelchair friendly, although the locals will bend over backwards to help you any way they can.

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
7,295 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mango Bay Resort Wheelchair Accessible

you have to realize that most island nations in the Caribbean, the BVI's included, do not have anything similar to the ADA laws you have in the US thus you are unlikely to find many resorts that are "wheelchair" friendly unless they are "major chain" resorts that were built in the past 10 years or so. Mango Bay Resort was built on the side of a hill more than 25 years ago and while some of the cottages are on ground/beach level it's not what you'd call ADA compliant. Don't expect ramps, escalators or trams to help you negotiate the terrain. The beachfront rooms are close to the water so once you are in the rooms getting to the water should be relative easy but you'll still have to carry your wife across the sand. I agree with LoveCGB if you need assistance the staff will do what they can to help - just ask.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,327 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mango Bay Resort Wheelchair Accessible

I have only stayed at Mango Bay once (April 2010) and loved it. We did not have an ocean front unit- we had an oceanview because the oceanfront ones were not available even 10 months ahead of time when I tried to book one.

The parking lot for the units is down a steep and windy driveway but once you are there it is a completely flat sidewalk to the ocean view units and then to where it ends near their common beach area - lounge chairs, tables and chairs, kayak storage, hammocks, etc. (a very nice place to sit and relax and we hardly saw another soul all week). There is perhaps a 3 ft. tall seawall between their sand area and the actual water/beach with maybe 3 short steps in two places (in front of the oceanfront units on either side of the common beachfront area). I do not know for sure but I would bet that for the oceanfront units there is a sidewalk on the side of the units not visible from the common area that is a short distance from farther down the parking lot and is probably flat access as well.

Gino at Mango Bay was perhaps one of the most accommodating property managers I have ever dealt with and the service was great- I would talk to him and believe anything he tells you about the access situation. He was great.

My husband is in the health care business and works with rehab clients so I asked him to be sure I was giving you an accurate picture and he said to tell you that it would be "no problem at all" for you to stay at Mango Bay. He said there was a 3 inch rise between the patio and the unit . There are a few places I can immediately think of such as the MIneshaft Restaurant where you might need to carry her up stairs but I really think there might have been a ramp there (I would have used it). The restaurant at Nail Bay would require you to carry her a short way but some of the other places we went did not really have issues- I am having a great deal of trouble lately with arthritis in a knee so I remember stairs (!!!) and never really had any problem except going though the Baths and I still made it just fine- there is certainly no handicapped help there but if you go to the public parking area at Spring Bay you can see essentially what it looks like at the Baths without climbing and crawling through all of that path.

The sea at Mango Bay is very calm due to a break reef quite a ways out so it would be a very nice place for your wife. The resort also had some of those nice foam floats for guests to use and it was calm enough to just float and relax. We love to snorkel and had some very good snorkeling there. There is a regular to this forum names "alashas" who has posted some of his photos and videos of Mahoe Bay you might enjoy looking at - just do a search or maybe he will respond if he reads this.

I am not sure what photos I might have that would help you but you are very welcome to send me a PM and I will look to see if I can show you more of the resort.

Happy Travels- I think you picked a great spot!!

Madison, WI
Level Contributor
123 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mango Bay Resort Wheelchair Accessible

Thanks very much for all of the replies. We do appreciate it. If we do end up going to Virgin Gorda, we will contact the owner of the property and see what he/she thinks, but from what everyone is saying, my wife and I could stay a week here. We're used to doing wheelies and off roading with the wheelchair. We've been to Grand Cayman a couple of times so we know what to expect...even though I'm assuming GC is more handicap friendly (in Caribbean terms) than Virgin Gorda. Thanks again.

5. Re: Mango Bay Resort Wheelchair Accessible

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2012, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Virgin Gorda
Recent Conversations