We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anguilla to Virgin Gorda

Which Virgin Gorda hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mississippi
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Anguilla to Virgin Gorda

I will be in Anquilla for a week (june 11-18). Is there an easy and economical way to spend a day in virgin gorda from there?

Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
304 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anguilla to Virgin Gorda

Short answer is no, unless you hook up with someone sailing over. Will take about 13 hours to sail over.

TpCook

South Sound Villa

Virgin Gorda

CT
Level Contributor
132 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anguilla to Virgin Gorda

We spend a lot of time in Angulla and Virgin Gorda and the only time I visited both in one outing was to leave Anguilla and go to VG for the second week of vacation. Just too far to travel otherwise. You could visit St Maarten or even St Bart's from Anguilla. Good luck..

NYC
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anguilla to Virgin Gorda

Travellerroct, how would you say the two (AXA and VG) compare? Have been to AXA a number of times but to VG only once (a day trip to the Baths and Savannah Bay, the latter of which was quite "Anguilla-like" in terms of beach/water quality and privacy!). We're considering a weeklong trip to VG but are concerned about where to eat -- we're big foodies, and it seems like the options on VG are extremely limited compared to AXA. We're also not sure if there will enough beaches to keep us occupied for a week (we like calm swimming beaches; no waves). I'd love to hear your opinion!

Edited: 11 February 2011, 17:21
Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
6,813 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anguilla to Virgin Gorda

Well with 35 beaches and 80 or so different restaurants AXA is difficult to beat.

While VG doesn't have near as many dining options as AXA there are enough places so you can dine out at a different place each night during your week's stay. Try, Chez Bamboo, Little Dix Bay, Biras Creek, Top of the Baths, The Mine Shaft, Bath & Turtle, Fisher's Cove, and Saba Rock, to name a few.

Same too with the beaches, you can visit a different on every day during your stay - check out Devil's Bay, the Baths, Spring Bay, Savannah Bay, Pond Bay, Mahoe Bay, Nail Bay and Leverick Bay (all are calm water beaches) - plus if you are willing to take a boat ride there are numerous cays and islands with exceptional beaches you can visit.

CT
Level Contributor
132 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anguilla to Virgin Gorda

Well, we have been to Anguilla seven times and Virgin Gorda for fifteen. Nothing beats the food choices in Anguilla, but I agree with the other poster that you will find options to satisfy you in VG. We generally have a meal at Biras (a more lovely and romantic setting you will not find), Chez Bamboo is a must, the Mine Shaft for casual dining, the Fat Virgin for lunch or a casual dinner, the Rock (only if you can get reservations outside next to one of the lighted Rocks), brunch one day at Little Dix, it can work.

As to beaches, there is no way you get the variety of Anguilla. But since we mostly hang out at Mead's Bay in Anguilla, we mostly hang out at Spring Bay in VG. Just lovely.

Email me if you want more info.

NYC
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anguilla to Virgin Gorda

I really appreciate these replies. We absolutely love Anguilla, but we started going there about 13 years ago before most people had even heard of it . . . and NOW its popularity has reached a point that it's going to be featured on "The Bachelor"! I can't help but think that that's the beginning of the end for this quiet, uncrowded island, hence the VG questions. I think we'll give it a try . . . we loved Savannah Bay and could probably hang out there (and Spring Bay) for the week without too much "hardship"! :)

Edited: 12 February 2011, 16:48
ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anguilla to Virgin Gorda

You have had some excellent suggestions so far. Virgin Gorda is a small island, but there should be plenty of beaches to keep you busy. Savannah is a gem. Spring Bay is also my favorite, not just because of its beauty, but because you can access another three beaches just by walking/scrambling down the connecting beaches. The last one, Valley Trunk, should also appeal to your love of Anguilla beaches.

If you really want to see some lovely stretches of beach, make sure you book a day trip to Anegada. Literally miles of unbroken, gorgeous, virtually unpopulated beach is available for your pleasure.

8. Re: Anguilla to Virgin Gorda

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 06:15