We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to stay

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Topic
Best place to stay

We have been going to St John for 6 years and are looking for a change this year. On St John we have always stayed in a condo or villa - we like having breakfast in our jammies and the extra space.

We don't mlind renting a car and budget would be somwhere around $500 a night. Sunsets are important - we want nice but doesn't have to be super fancy. I am not familiar with the different areas on the island. Recommendations?????

Boston
Level Contributor
1,591 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to stay

What time of year are you going? A $500 budget will go further in the off season.

Depending on where you stay you may only need a car for a day or two to see the sights on the entire island.

I stay at the same place every year I go. It is low budget, and is in town. It sounds like you might be better suited for a villa. There are several people that frequent this board that can recommend villa's. I also see the website Best of the Virgin Islands referenced quite a bit for ideas too. I am sure others will chime in.

Some places to start looking at might be Little Dix, Biras Creek, and Bitter End. Go to the websites and look at their special deals. You may even want to give Orbitz a try and see which hotels they offer, although most of them see to be in Tortolla.

Good Luck!

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to stay

We would be going in season - probably late January.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to stay

I stayed at Guavaberryspringbay.com 3 times and I will be going again for the next 3rd week of February. They offer 2 person efficiency cottages, nestled amongst the boulders of The Baths, each with private ocean sunset views (at least one cottage uses a house-sized boulder as its private patio deck) and very decent snorkling off their private-access beach. A cottage should be well within your budget (Guavaberry Spring Bay has many repeat visitors, so cottage availability might be tough to find).

Do introduce yourself to the other half-dozen people upon their beach (towel and chair provided), because it is likely you will see and recognize them on the next day you visit that beach (this place is that intimate). I would not recommend Guavaberry Spring Bay if you are looking for a nightlife (because you are seeking a different lifestyle than what this place offers, and because I relish my peacefulness:).

Edited: 07 July 2011, 18:13
Boston
Level Contributor
1,591 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to stay

We will be going late January/first week in February. Maybe we will see you there!

Here is that website I referenced:

www.bestofbvi.com

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,267 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to stay

Take a look at Mango Bay Resort- oceanview one bedroom "suite" (condo) is $335 a night in late January. I sent you a PM.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
140 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to stay

We have also visited st john for many years. four years ago we began dividing our time between virgin gorda and st john. We rent a home on VG. and stay at caneel on st john. I do not suggest mango bay as it has some drawbacks, none the least is the proximity to the island dump and the smell of the burning garbage. I suggest you consider Nail bay, or the spring bay area. Guavaberry has private homes that they rent out and the beach is fantastic. The location is the best on the island. I am sure you will love Virgin Gorda. feel free to write with any questions.

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,790 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place to stay

Billhol and BobnSharon mentioned Guavaberry. Here is a link to their villas:

www.guavaberryspringbay.com/deluxevillas.htm

Just like St John, villa prices are based on time of the year and number of people in the party. All rentals add a 7% tax. Some places add a 10% service charge as well. Unlike St John, daily maid service is common. Also unlike St John, washer and dryer are relatively rare. Not to worry: Stevens Laundry will wash, dry, fold, and package for $6.00 a load, same day service.

Here are a couple of places owned by regular posters on this forum:

www.videoautomation.com/virgingordavilla/

http://www.adagiovilla.com/

The Nail Bay area also has villas and great sunsets. This area reminds me of St John:

http://www.nailbay.com/

Finally, the Leverick Bay area features great value and views:

http://www.leverickbayvillarentals.com/

Good luck with your planning!

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,267 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place to stay

Never smelled the dump or burning when we were there but I guess also that we have traveled to enough more remote islands to know that that is a fact of life- there is a burn day and it just depends on which way the wind is blowing whether or not it is an issue.

Cape Elizabeth...
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best place to stay

Guavaberry's own houses are really quite nice - and unique - but not luxurious. They have one bedroom homes, two bedroom homes, and one three bedroom home. All have full kitchens and beautifully shaded decks. If it interests you, don't wait too long to reserve one for yourself. They have a huge repeat clientele and fill up fast for high season.

10. Re: Best place to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 December 2012, 10:19
Get answers to your questions about Virgin Gorda
Recent Conversations